Sports & Recreation

[Merged] [OFFICIAL] POST your snowboard gear and questions here!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2016 8:18 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2006
3230 posts
144 upvotes
richardvoyageur wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 8:55 am
In my opinion boots are the thing you absolutely don't skimp on. My advice would be to do it in person, try on every pair within your max price range and pick the one that fits the absolute best. Bad fitting boots will ruin your day worse than anything.
agree, but having your bindings snap on you on the first ride of the day can also rival that especially when it's about 2 hours drive each way to the ski hill lol
Mar 5, 2008
309 posts
27 upvotes
richardvoyageur wrote:
Dec 20th, 2012 8:55 am
In my opinion boots are the thing you absolutely don't skimp on. My advice would be to do it in person, try on every pair within your max price range and pick the one that fits the absolute best. Bad fitting boots will ruin your day worse than anything.
co-signed
you cannot buy boots without trying them on first.
its impossible.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
1988 posts
99 upvotes
^

I bought ski boots last year online and didn't try them on. I got lucky and they fit great.

If you are going to try to buy boots online without trying them on do some research. If you have wide feet make sure they boots are fit well for wide feet. Same if you have narrow feet. Also your arch. Measure your foot length properly (many tutorials online). Go to the manufactures website and get the size based on your foot measurement. NEVER USE YOUR SHOE SIZE.
May 2, 2005
592 posts
37 upvotes
Just go try on a bunch, find some that fit your foot (and preferably also fit your binding - you can bring it with you to see what it feels like once you strap in) and then go buy it online for 1/2 the price, unless you have a crush on your local shop.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2722 posts
37 upvotes
Markham
Did I read somewhere that Nike boots (not sure what model) that were on sale at Vaughan Mills factory store are narrow-fit? I'd be interested in some new boots, even though my current boots are fine but I never tried a pair of good boots like everybody is talking about.

My current boots are Burton Invaders..Retails for like $150 i think...
Sep 9, 2008
187 posts
9 upvotes
thanks for the advice guys, im definitely not going to buy online without trying boots on.

boxing day is coming up, do you guys know if any of the stores have sales happening? (Corbetts, sanction, meltdown)
Mar 5, 2008
309 posts
27 upvotes
seo88 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:53 pm
if i am looking for a set of bindings and snowboard, can any brands for bindings fit on any type of snowboards?
yes
Aug 16, 2008
638 posts
52 upvotes
Markham
Garest wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 4:51 pm
yes
not true...burton channel boards only take channel bindings...you can argue that you can get adapter plates for bindings, but not all manufacturers make adapter plates to work with channel boards.
Oct 25, 2009
431 posts
189 upvotes
chinaboy1021 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 12:57 am
Did I read somewhere that Nike boots (not sure what model) that were on sale at Vaughan Mills factory store are narrow-fit? I'd be interested in some new boots, even though my current boots are fine but I never tried a pair of good boots like everybody is talking about.

My current boots are Burton Invaders..Retails for like $150 i think...
Not sure if the clearance is still on, but they had the Vapens for $100 and the Zoom Force 1's for $150. Price gets better if they have an additional discount. Nike snowboard boots do run more narrow than other brands.
jetlee101 wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 1:41 am
thanks for the advice guys, im definitely not going to buy online without trying boots on.

boxing day is coming up, do you guys know if any of the stores have sales happening? (Corbetts, sanction, meltdown)
Sportchek is having 20% off all their boots. With Team Assist coupons stacked, it comes to around 36% off. Meltdown is currently having their Burton 10% off and no tax event. No news on Meltdown or Sanction boxing day deals yet.
unowned wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2012 5:22 pm
not true...burton channel boards only take channel bindings...you can argue that you can get adapter plates for bindings, but not all manufacturers make adapter plates to work with channel boards.
Just to add on this. Burton bindings that have "EST" are designed specifically for Burton snowboards with the channel system. Burton also sells regular bindings for all other boards.
Apr 7, 2009
395 posts
79 upvotes
Oshawa
unowned wrote:
Dec 23rd, 2012 11:15 am
how's blue looking like up there
This.

Plus. Any update on boxing day deals that stick out? I'm looking at board and bindings and maybe boots. For reference I have been on the hill probably 10 times in my life (if that) I have owned gear in the past but realize now that what I bought was definitely not the right fit. I'm 6'1" 180 and have used a 165 board my whole life which seems way to big. Mostly need gear to just get down the hill and perhaps if I get out as much as I want to this year a couple jumps here and there. Any suggestions for me this boxing day?

Thanks.

-Z

Edit: Forgot to ask about gear a sportchek. Is it junk? Is the burton boards on sale there any good for a beginner-intermediate?
Apr 7, 2009
395 posts
79 upvotes
Oshawa
seo88 wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 1:20 pm
beginner - intermediate: usually 'all mountain' boards - longer boards make it better for balance and shorter boards are better for maneuvering.

stiff boards are good for hard snow and ice and softer boards are good for powder snow.
I just checked and apparently the 165 board I've been using is also wide. Is that potentially what is making
It feel too big for me?
Oct 25, 2009
431 posts
189 upvotes
Zaphiro wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 1:38 pm
I just checked and apparently the 165 board I've been using is also wide. Is that potentially what is making
It feel too big for me?
It depends on your boot size. A wide board is recommended for boots size 11 and up. The length of your board is too long. Ideally for your weight you should be riding in the 158-161 range.

Sportchek isn't a bad place to pick up beginner/intermediate gear. Their most expensive gear is usually the mid to low end on each companies scale. Places such as Meltdown and Sanction is where you'll find better brands and more top end gear. Meltdown will have 20% off all their 2013 snowboard gear during Boxing day.
Mar 5, 2008
309 posts
27 upvotes
I get email updates for Blue MTN and they're still running the same 5 runs. Theres supposed to be a big dumping of snow tomorow night, which is probably what they're waiting for.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
1988 posts
99 upvotes
Zaphiro wrote:
Dec 25th, 2012 1:38 pm
It feel too big for me?
What does the manufactures website say? A 165 wide is a pretty big board. What size feet do you have?

Chances are even at 180 lbs, you could go with a smaller board. Every board manufacture puts the ideal rider height and weight for each board length on their website. Find a board you want, then figure out what size would be good for you.
× < >