Automotive

[Merged] Ontario Driving Test Routes

Sep 10, 2016
1 posts
I am actually from Clinton. I grew up in the area, went to high school in the town and my family still lives there. I did all of my tests (G1, G2, G) at the Drive Test centre in Clinton and I completed the final test this year.

I will not give the route for a number of reasons (I personally have ethical reasons and firmly believe that failing for not being able to follow rules of the road makes us safer as a society) but I will give some advice and information.

The town of Clinton is located 2-2.5 hours west of Toronto (take 401 west to Kitchener and Highway 7/8 to Stratford and Highway 8 to Clinton). The town has a population of over 3000 and is 99% white.

It is quite common for carloads of people from Toronto or the GTA to show up to take tests as it is considered easier to pass the test in the small town rather than in the city. I would put the ratio of locals doing their test and people from urban areas like GTA at 50:50.

I have heard a rumour (not confirmed, so consider this hearsay) some of the Drive Test examiners do not like people from the GTA coming to Clinton. Keep in mind the examiner has your license so he/she knows your address. Don't be surprised if they ask you why you are taking the test in Clinton rather than Downsview (or wherever you may be from).

As I stated earlier, I will not give the route. What I will say is that the route is not as easy as it seems and there are a few places that have "obstacles" that will result in instant fail if you do not follow the Highway Traffic Act. Despite being one of the most rural Drive Test locations, Clinton actually ranks in the middle in terms of passing rate. My suspicion is the examiners don't like outsiders taking advantage of the rural test route and may be failing outsiders at a higher rate. Over the past few years, the municipality and province have changed a number of intersections in and around the town. Based on the above, my suggestion is to either become very familiar with Clinton or simply take the test in your hometown as you will already know the surroundings.

No matter what you decide to do and where you take the test, please understand Clinton is a long way to go if you do fail.

TL;DR
Clinton is not the easiest place to do your tests as it is rumoured some examiners don't like outsiders from the city. Although the town is small, a number of intersections can be difficult if you do not follow the rules and signage properly.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
halla4080 wrote:
Sep 6th, 2016 4:27 pm
Here's the Stratford G test route, probably very similar to the G2 test. Just got my G today, passed on the first try. The test is very easy.

1. You will start at the Drive Center building at 59 Lorne Ave. E. The examiner will ask you to drive through the parking lot of the McDonalds that is just off Erie St, and then you will be asked to make a right on Erie.

2. Continue on Erie for a while, examiner requested a left on Cambria St. After a few blocks, make a left on John St. S. Eventually, you will make a turn onto Woods St.

3. Woods St is a loop, so you will be asked to stay on it until you reach John St. S. again, at which you will make a left. I was asked to make a 3 point turn and to parallel park on Woods St.

4. Make a right off John St. S. onto Gore St. W. Follow Gore until you reach Erie St, then make a right.

5. Continue along Erie St. past the McDonalds you started at. At this point, you're completing the highway portion of the test - Erie St. is technically highway 7. Eventually, you will make a left turn onto Perth Line 29 - the speed limit here is immediately 80 so be prepared to speed up quickly after you turn.

6. Continue on Perth Line 29 to Embro Road, and make a left. Again, the limit on Embro is 80 but quickly drops to 50, so keep that in mind.

7. Follow Embro and merge back onto Erie St. at the lights. Continue down Erie until you reach Lorne Ave. E, at which point you will make a left turn and return to the test center.

It's that easy. The test was about 25 minutes in length and you're not required to drive downtown. You WILL be asked to do a 3 point turn and either parallel park OR emergency stop.
for the G1 exit (g2 test). someone told me they try and trick you with going into a 1 way street. well not trick but just dont say anything. do you recal that?
Sep 19, 2016
2 posts
Does anyone know the tillsonburg G test route
Plssssss send me i hv test in few days
Sep 22, 2016
1 posts
Just one question about hill parking. When doing downhill and uphill, are you supposed to drive forward/backward with your wheels turned in the appropriate direction until your wheels touch the curb or can you just pull up beside the curb, turn your wheels in the right direction and put the car in park?
Sep 28, 2016
1 posts
NEWMARKET G EXAM

HARRY W PKWY north
DAVIS DR east
404 North - Green Lne Exit
404 South - Davis Drive Exit
DAVIS DR west
Residential Area South ( Emergency Stop and 3-point turn )
DAVIS DR east
HARRY W PKWY south
Testting Center (Back Parking)
Sep 19, 2016
2 posts
Hi pls if u know the route 4 g test in Lindsey even roughly idea pls let me know . Will b great full to u. Thnx
Oct 30, 2016
1 posts
You have to move the car to touch the curb. if not moving the car then you will lose some points.
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2007
1171 posts
45 upvotes
i passed my g2
can anyone tell me do i need insurance immediately if i want to drive now?
Nov 4, 2015
275 posts
63 upvotes
Ontario
Anonymous_ wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 6:04 pm
i passed my g2
If you're driving a car and the insurer's policy does not cover you, yes. If you plan on buying a car, it cannot be driven off the lot without being insured.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2010
1215 posts
96 upvotes
Anonymous_ wrote:
Nov 4th, 2016 6:04 pm
i passed my g2
is that a serious question or u trolling
Deal Addict
Sep 25, 2007
1171 posts
45 upvotes
yes...
g1, all you don't need your own insurance
so i was asking if i'm on my g1 and you pass and your g2, do you need to have insurance right away, or is there a grace period in which i can still drive (parent's or the owner's car with or without them in the car beside me)
May 16, 2015
699 posts
131 upvotes
York, ON
Anonymous_ wrote:
Nov 6th, 2016 1:42 pm
yes...
g1, all you don't need your own insurance
so i was asking if i'm on my g1 and you pass and your g2, do you need to have insurance right away, or is there a grace period in which i can still drive (parent's or the owner's car with or without them in the car beside me)
Ofc u need insurance. But sure drive but if u get into an accident Ur screwed