Automotive

[Merged] Ontario Driving Test Routes

Mar 21, 2010
2 posts
4 upvotes
Hi all,

I found this forum helpful and thought I would share my experience at Downsview. Despite the negative press associated with this Drive Centre, I decided to book here since I was familiar with the area as my parents live there. I failed on my first try but passed on my second. Note, they repainted the parking spots between my two tests and on my second try they were oriented the opposite way (east-west, instead of north-south) and were narrower and shallower.

I had two completely opposite experiences on my G1 exit test; on my first, the instructor was rude and required I do (what I thought) was in excess of what was required.

First Test (July 2011, in the earlier part of the day between 10-11)
-exit parking lot, stop at stop sign and turn left on Carl Hall Road. Follow through, stopping at stop signs and the pedestrian crossing.
-turn right on Sheppard (where there is a turning lane on the other side, making it three lanes whereas where you turn there are only two lanes).
-switch lanes.
-turn right at Tuscan Gate.
-turn right at St Regis Cres. North. Uphill Park; then perform Emergency Stop.
-turn left on Bakersfield Road and then turn left again on St Regis Cres. Perform parallel park. Perform 3 point turn.
-turn right at Bakersfield Rd., continue to Tuscan Gate and turn right on Sheppard [this is where I messed me up; a pedestrian changed directions at the last minute and decided to cross, despite the awkwardness of the scenario, the drive test guy was an ass about it]
-switch lanes, turn left at Carl Hall Road and go back to the Drive Centre, parking frontward.

Second Test (August 2011, in the later part of the day between 3-4)
-exit parking lot, stop at stop sign and turn left on Carl Hall Road. Follow through, stopping at stop signs and the pedestrian crossing.
-turn right on Sheppard.
-switch lanes.
-turn right at Tuscan Gate.
-turn right at St Regis Cres. North. Perform Emergency Stop.
-turn left on Bakersfield Road and then turn left again on St Regis Cres. Perform 3 point turn.
-turn right at Bakersfield Rd., continue to Tuscan Gate and turn right on Sheppard (no indecisive pedestrians this time!)
-switch lanes, turn left at Carl Hall Road and go back to the Drive Centre, rear parking. The spots were narrower, shallower and differently oriented but I didn't have a problem.

Overall, I had a harder time and more "hoops" to jump my first time. There were more people at the lot in the morning, than later in the day and there were no trucks in the afternoon driving around in the industrial area where they take you. The difference in instructors was also pretty crazy - one was gruff and rude whereas the second was nice and chatty to the point of distraction (which I felt was a test in and of itself, so if you get a chatter pay attention).

Good luck!
Sep 5, 2011
13 posts
3 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Hey everyone,

Just had my G1 exit road test in Oshawa this afternoon and I passed with flying colors :)
YAY!

Since there aren't many replies on the Oshawa test route, I thought I would share my experience:

Had the test at 2:45 pm.
My examiner was friendly but professional (Hi Kim!)
She didn't say much but she had this friendly aura that made me feel at ease and definitely affected my driving in a positive way :)
She tested me on left and right turns, a downhill park (on a flat surface, of course), a 3-point turn, and a parallel parking.
I had to back out from the parking spot at the test center when I started because my instructor parked the car head in.
I think this could be the reason why she didn't test me on my back in/reverse parking.

I can't remember the exact test route because we drove on small residential streets, but this is roughly how I remember it:
- Exit the test center on to John St W, turn right and drive all the way to Park Rd. South.
- Turn left to Park Rd. South (don't forget to change lane!)
- Turn right to Frontenac Ave. (this is where she asked me to perform a downhill park)
And I can't remember the exact route after that but we're just driving around the residential area, where she then asked me to do a parallel parking and a 3-point turn.
- Somehow ended up driving on Grenfell St.
- Make a right turn to King St. West (it's one-way road, stay on the far right lane after you make the turn)
- Turn right to Park Rd. South.
- Turn left to John St. West, reduce speed from 50km/h to 40km/h
And voila! You're back at the test center :)

Things to remember during the test:
- Check your rear view mirror every 5-10 seconds.
- Check your blind spot every time you signal.
- Turn your entire upper body to check what's behind your car (just exaggerate the movement) whenever you're driving on reverse
- Stay within the speed limit :)

Oshawa's max speed limit is 50km/h unless stated.
John St West (the street in front of the test center) is 40km/h.

That's my 2 cents.
Good luck everyone :)
Oct 26, 2009
393 posts
4 upvotes
Has anyone done the g1 exit test at aurora or have access to sample routes?
Sep 20, 2011
2 posts
TORONTO
Hi,
Does anyone know the driving test route for Simcoe (140 Queensway East is the location of the test centre)? Thanks!
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
Request, anyone have the Burlington G1 exit route? I know it varies but I'd appreciate any tips.
It takes an ocean not to break
Sep 20, 2011
2 posts
TORONTO
Does anyone know the route in Simcoe for the G?
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2008
1037 posts
55 upvotes
Hamilton
Nettles wrote:
Sep 22nd, 2011 1:52 pm
Request, anyone have the Burlington G1 exit route? I know it varies but I'd appreciate any tips.

If looking at Google maps you exit the plaza making a right turn onto North Service road, right turn @ Skyview Drive, right turn @ Heather Hill Dr follow the road in a big circle then back to the drive test center taking the same route, its very easy 10% business 90% residential. The route has likely changed last time I was at the Burlington drive test center there were notices posted for instructors/people to not practice driving in the area because residents were complaining (wealthy looking neighborhood) but lots of people are still doing it.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4345 posts
230 upvotes
^ Yeah they have those same notices in Oakville but it sounds good, thanks man.
It takes an ocean not to break
Sep 27, 2011
1 posts
HAMILTON
Hi, i am taking my test tomorrow morning and i am wondering if any has the route map of Hamilton Kenora G1 Road test.

Please post it.

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2008
4060 posts
507 upvotes
Toronto
If you need to memorize the test route in order to pass then you're not ready to have a full driver's license. Driving in real life isn't predictable.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

Buy One, Get One (BOGO) is not a RFD sale, it's only a sale for people that can't do math
Oct 14, 2011
1 posts
OAKVILLE
A family member is going to be taking the G2 Exit test in the next few weeks. From what I've read, I suspect that the highway route can only be one of the two following routes. Can anyone verify these routes or add to this discussion, if you took yet another route. Both routes start from the Cornwall / Ford Dr. area, and end back at the drive test center on Cornwall.

It sometimes take a bit for the google map to fully load.

Thanks in advance

Route#1:
To Erin Mills: http://tinyurl.com/6gnndqs
distance = 16.2 km

Route #2:
To Dorval: http://tinyurl.com/628rbls
distance = 16.4km
Dec 24, 2011
1 posts
ETOBICOKE
sikriesty wrote:
Sep 8th, 2011 11:00 pm
Hey everyone,

Just had my G1 exit road test in Oshawa this afternoon and I passed with flying colors :)
YAY!

Since there aren't many replies on the Oshawa test route, I thought I would share my experience:

Had the test at 2:45 pm.
My examiner was friendly but professional (Hi Kim!)
She didn't say much but she had this friendly aura that made me feel at ease and definitely affected my driving in a positive way :)
She tested me on left and right turns, a downhill park (on a flat surface, of course), a 3-point turn, and a parallel parking.
I had to back out from the parking spot at the test center when I started because my instructor parked the car head in.
I think this could be the reason why she didn't test me on my back in/reverse parking.

I can't remember the exact test route because we drove on small residential streets, but this is roughly how I remember it:
- Exit the test center on to John St W, turn right and drive all the way to Park Rd. South.
- Turn left to Park Rd. South (don't forget to change lane!)
- Turn right to Frontenac Ave. (this is where she asked me to perform a downhill park)
And I can't remember the exact route after that but we're just driving around the residential area, where she then asked me to do a parallel parking and a 3-point turn.
- Somehow ended up driving on Grenfell St.
- Make a right turn to King St. West (it's one-way road, stay on the far right lane after you make the turn)
- Turn right to Park Rd. South.
- Turn left to John St. West, reduce speed from 50km/h to 40km/h
And voila! You're back at the test center :)

Things to remember during the test:
- Check your rear view mirror every 5-10 seconds.
- Check your blind spot every time you signal.
- Turn your entire upper body to check what's behind your car (just exaggerate the movement) whenever you're driving on reverse
- Stay within the speed limit :)

Oshawa's max speed limit is 50km/h unless stated.
John St West (the street in front of the test center) is 40km/h.

That's my 2 cents.
Good luck everyone :)

Hello,

I did my G2 in Oshawa on 23rd. I also got Kim (very sweet lady) explains everything! Don't be afraid to ask her to explain anything before hand if you are unsure.

The route was the same, all in all took about 15 mins in total. I passed even though I get very nervous for any type of test (shaking leg, not fun when pressing on gas pedal lol) and when doing parallel parking, I hit the curb. She can tell if you are skilled enough, and whether the mistakes you do are to nervousness or lack of skill.

Hints:
-If you know how to drive well enough, but get nervous, you can pass!
-Always check every direction on turns to make sure way is clear, take time if you need.
-Try to go at the speed limit (50km) on the King St. W, (I was going like 43 km - one of the mistakes - too slow)
-Don't get nervous when you do mistakes, straighten up, correct and just keep going normally.

Merry Christmas, Safe driving and all the best :)
Apr 16, 2012
2 posts
2 upvotes
OSHAWA
I just did my G2 test (to obtain full g license)
The link to the this test route for Oshawa is broken so I took the time to lay it out on a map and mark where to do everything.

Starting Parked Forward In a Numbered Parking Spot
--------------------------------------------------

Instructor checks brakes, signals and horn.

Begin the test!
1. Back out of the parking spot
2. Make a left in the parking lot, then make a right heading towards the lights to exit
3. Exit right at the lights
4. Make a left onto Park Rd S
5. Perform a lane change on Park Rd S
6. Make a left onto Treasure St (Second left over the bridge)
7. Perform a roadside stop on Treasure St
8. Make a left onto Cubert St
9. Make a left onto Hibbert St
10. Perform Three point turn on Hibbert St to reverse direction
11. Perform a parallel park on Hibbert St

12. Make a right onto Cubert St
13. Make a left onto Mill St
14. Make a right onto Simcoe St S
15. Make a left onto 1st avenue
16. Make a right onto Drew St
17. Enter the 401 heading west!
18. Perform a lane change on 401 heading west
19. Exit at Steveson Rd S
20. Make a left on Stevenson Rd S
21. Re-enter 401 heading east from Stevenson Rd S
22. Perform a lane change on 401 heading east
23. Exit at Ritson Rd
24. Make a right onto Bloor St E
25. Make a right onto Simcoe St S
26. Follow the road north to John St W
27. Make a left from a one-way Simcoe St S onto John St W
28. Follow John St W to the drive test center parking lot
29. Make a right into the second entrance of(after the lights you started from) the Drive test center parking lot
30. PARK AND FINISH AND GET YOUR G LICENSE
× < >