Automotive

[Merged] parking ticket in York University

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 1st, 2017 4:43 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18704 posts
5738 upvotes
mjaman wrote: I don't go to York but I still receive these letters. I also own the car, is it safe to say that I can call York and tell them I have nothing to do with the claim and what they are doing is illegal?

+1

same here...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Sep 20, 2007
33 posts
1 upvote
Thornhill
kiasu wrote: +1

same here...

Another +1... same here too lol. I have a $300 fine but i never went to York (brother used the car and got a ticket there). Been receiving letters for the past 2 years.
Feb 12, 2008
996 posts
119 upvotes
I used to go there 7 years ago and I have 4 years of unpaid tickets. The car was not registered to my name at the time though so maybe that's why.
Aug 30, 2011
448 posts
86 upvotes
Mississauga
assuming this is the main thread on this topic, would like to know if anybody's degree WAS withheld due to parking tickets, at what stage did they come to know that their degree is being withheld?
Banned
Nov 10, 2012
777 posts
79 upvotes
Hamilton
pizzaman wrote: haha sucker, how did you get in university if you cant even read the parking instructions right?
Smith wrote: Also wondering the same thing as pizzaman . . . how exactly are you smart enough to get into U of T, but dumb enough to run up $1700 in tickets?
You don't have to be financially literate to get an 80+ in grade 12 English and 5 other University prep courses

#fail
Mar 3, 2015
1 posts
Alliston, ON
Just wanted to share my ridiculous experience.

My wife recently received a ticket for about 100$ for parking in a spot that wasn't marked. At the end of the row. Kind of ridiculous amount but ok whatever.

I might add that she had paid for parking and had the stub on the windshield. You would think that that might provide some goodwill or something but no.

The truly ridiculous part is that there was another car parked at the end of that row. There are two rows so that car is illegally parked in the same manner. But this car did not pay for the parking. They also received a ticket but only for NOT PAYING FOR PARKING FOR 15$ OR SO.

Anyways luckily the car is in my name and not hers and you an bet I won't be paying for this.
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2014
1201 posts
435 upvotes
Calgary, AB
leppga wrote: Just wanted to share my ridiculous experience.

My wife recently received a ticket for about 100$ for parking in a spot that wasn't marked. At the end of the row. Kind of ridiculous amount but ok whatever.

I might add that she had paid for parking and had the stub on the windshield. You would think that that might provide some goodwill or something but no.

The truly ridiculous part is that there was another car parked at the end of that row. There are two rows so that car is illegally parked in the same manner. But this car did not pay for the parking. They also received a ticket but only for NOT PAYING FOR PARKING FOR 15$ OR SO.

Anyways luckily the car is in my name and not hers and you an bet I won't be paying for this.
Yup. Don't bother. Universities are notorious for having atrocious parking regulations that they keep changing to better suit their needs (hint: mint more money).

Have had incidents like this with the University of Calgary too. $60 fine for going 30 minutes over. Screw off. If parking was reasonably priced, I would have no issue paying for it but instead it is $8/day for a ridiculous not maintained parking lot surrounded by bushes and no lights in the dark and that's the cheapest. Others go from $15/day for a "parkade" or $4/hr for other poorly maintained lots. Yeah, no thanks. That's more expensive that downtown Calgary and that's already one of the priciest places in North America to park in.

If anything, universities should make this cheaper because 90% of the students enrolled are already deep in debt before even starting their degrees.
Jun 5, 2015
1 posts
I have a quite large amount of money owed to York for parking, however the car is under my moms name... She has to renew her license soon, can this affect her doing so?
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2007
3260 posts
909 upvotes
Northern Hemisphere
CaraC052909 wrote: I have a quite large amount of money owed to York for parking, however the car is under my moms name... She has to renew her license soon, can this affect her doing so?
Why don't you take the time and read the 8 pages of info.
For wars they come and go, but my soldiers stay eternal.- Tupac
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2014
1399 posts
957 upvotes
Didn't want to start a new thread, but does anyone know how to get York University to refrain from sending you payment letters in the mail?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)