[Merged] Petro Canada $100 gift cards for $49

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2013 12:40 am
Tags:
None
May 27, 2004
835 posts
100 upvotes
I read the first page, and the last page, and this is eerily reminscent of The Butchers scam from a couple years ago. There are alot of people in denial...
Oct 29, 2012
2 posts
ETOBICOKE
Mayoo, I will keep everyone posted...I said using my credit card via paypal so i'm double covered which is nice, and if it is a scam (gift cards or not) I have buyers protection. This is one hell of a scam, how can u pass up 51% off gas?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7050 posts
915 upvotes
pakmode wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 1:36 pm
I read the first page, and the last page, and this is eerily reminscent of The Butchers scam from a couple years ago. There are alot of people in denial...
Exactly, can't believe there are still people here, who read this thread, who think its possible they will send out $1 million in gcs from their office in the copy center

just like the huge Katz electronics thread and "free guitar when you buy a cheap mps player" threads that went on for months and months where people were so desperate to believe they would get the deal even after they were confirmed with overwhelming evidence scams

And again for those who still think this could all be real...what is your theory on how someone who doesn't have a deal with petro Canada would obtain and pay for $1m in gcs??? If they took in anywhere close to 1m by paypal that fast (which I don't believe they took in anywhere close to the counter) the funds are already frozen
Canadian Code of Advertising Standards http://tinyurl.com/48ercz5 Submit advertising complaints http://tinyurl.com/5uxezyk
Deceptive Marketing Practices Under the Competition Act http://tinyurl.com/4coy4qd

There is NO HST on "Free item" or the free part of a "Buy 1 get 1" manufacturer coupon http://tinyurl.com/4ys45jg
May 27, 2004
835 posts
100 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 1:43 pm
Exactly, can't believe there are still people here, who read this thread, who think its possible they will send out $1 million in gcs from their office in the copy center

just like the huge Katz electronics thread and "free guitar when you buy a cheap mps player" threads that went on for months and months where people were so desperate to believe they would get the deal even after they were confirmed with overwhelming evidence scams

And again for those who still think this could all be real...what is your theory on how someone who doesn't have a deal with petro Canada would obtain and pay for $1m in gcs??? If they took in anywhere close to 1m by paypal that fast (which I don't believe they took in anywhere close to the counter) the funds are already frozen
Marlon from the The Butchers should be in jail, so should Larry Farbman from Deal55, the Katz electronics guy and all others who perpetrate these crimes.
Oct 29, 2012
9 posts
OTTAWA
The company said they'd mail out the cards in 1 or 2 weeks, so how did you guys get refunds right away? Doesn't paypal tell you to wait a while?

Anyway, I did not buy this deal so I have no skin in this game.

But now that all is said and done, this is looking like a Pnzi scheme. Provided they don't run off with the cash, I think they'll use some money now to buy X cards and send them out to keep some of the customers happy. Then they plan on using future funds to purchase the balance of the cards.

I think it's take 6 months to 1 year to purchase and send out all these cards, so the 1 or 2 week window in BS
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
11955 posts
1043 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, I just recieved my Zakk Wylde Epiphone guitar!!
Jun 19, 2006
234 posts
175 upvotes
Spex99 wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 2:17 pm
The company said they'd mail out the cards in 1 or 2 weeks, so how did you guys get refunds right away? Doesn't paypal tell you to wait a while?

Anyway, I did not buy this deal so I have no skin in this game.

But now that all is said and done, this is looking like a Pnzi scheme. Provided they don't run off with the cash, I think they'll use some money now to buy X cards and send them out to keep some of the customers happy. Then they plan on using future funds to purchase the balance of the cards.

I think it's take 6 months to 1 year to purchase and send out all these cards, so the 1 or 2 week window in BS
When you ask for a refund, PayPal sends a notice back to the seller in order to dispute the claim, which they have 10 days to respond. After I sent my request, within 10 minutes i was refunded. This to me shows that 1) they are sketchy that they don't want to dispute the claim and saves the hassle of fighting it, or 2) that they would just rather lose me as a customer and can afford it. But i'll go with the former rather than the latter.
Jun 19, 2006
234 posts
175 upvotes
trixstar wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 2:31 pm
Hey guys, I just recieved my Zakk Wylde Epiphone guitar!!
how many petro gift cards did you have to buy to get that? lol
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
8219 posts
2353 upvotes
Ottawa
pakmode wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 2:17 pm
Marlon from the The Butchers should be in jail, so should Larry Farbman from Deal55, the Katz electronics guy and all others who perpetrate these crimes.
I agree, but the Canadian legal system is pretty clear on this. Steal $100 from more than 1000 people and nothing will happen, the police wont even pay you a visit. Steal $100 from 1 person and you'll see the inside of a jail cell. Mass crime sprees with many victims is the way to go in this fine country!
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Banned
Sep 22, 2008
8322 posts
527 upvotes
j0rge wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 4:44 pm
A few days ago, a seemingly unbelievable deal popped up from a previously unheard of “deal of the day” website, offering $100 Petro Canada gift cards for $49
http://yourcitydeals.com/deals/petro-canada
The website mentioned you also need to “Like” them on facebook, and required you to email them the voucher code #, your address, and your phone number. (information they should already have from the paypal payments, but could be interpreted as they need to verify that you actually “liked” them on facebook).
The website only accepted Paypal, and It also said that the gift cards would be mailed to all the buyers in 1 to 2 weeks. I bought the gift card when the deal first launched (fearing that it would expire like many other great deals), but the number of gift cards kept going up, until it became obvious that there is no cap to the number of gift cards. After some research, I have concluded that this deal is a scam.

How to get your money back:
Step 1: Login to Paypal. Find the transaction, then click: Details
Step 2: Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Resolution Center”. And follow the steps for filing a dispute there. I just declared the gift cards as “Other Tangible Goods”, as paypal buyer protection does not cover intangible goods (such as gift vouchers).
Step 3: Follow the directions, and escalate it to a claim.
I, among others, have been able to get our refund this way. There is a 45 day limit to file the dispute, but from my experience with Paypal, the sooner you do it the better.

Reasons why it’s a scam (if you are still in doubt)
They sold 9667 gift cards, which means the company would need to purchase almost one million dollars worth of gift cards (+ tax), and incur a loss of half a million.
There was a discussion page on the website which featured the gift cards, and there were discussions around the legitimacy of this deal. The moderators reassured a few people that it was indeed legit and the company was using this fantastic deal to promote their business and get their names out there. Not long after, this discussion page was removed, and some comments on facebook were being removed as well.
The only other mention of this site from google was:
http://www.obj.ca/Local/2012-07-19/arti ... nagement/1

The website was taken over by Weggon Allen (I hope he has a good lawyer), co-founder of “Hi Impact Media”. A little research on this company shows that it’s a very new and relatively unknown company, and there was no way this company would have been able to generate revenue in the millions.
Here is a the linkedin page of Mr. Allen (same photo as on the business journal site)
http://ca.linkedin.com/in/weggonallen
Which also listed his education as : Street University, among other suspicious facts.
Shouldn't the mods be held accountable for the scam as well? doesn't rfd scan out these scams for members?
Banned
Oct 29, 2012
2 posts
Shady_Dealer wrote:
Oct 30th, 2012 5:24 pm
paypal's buyer protection will NOT protect you against this. They do not cover "vouchers", as they are intangible goods.

https://cms.paypal.com/cms_content/DE/e ... ection.pdf

I recommend everyone file a paypal dispute ASAP, and escalate it to a claim. (declare it as "other intangible goods)

And if anyone still believes that this company can come up with a million dollars of gift cards... this will be a good lesson.
Shady_Dealer you clearly have malicious intentions thank you for your advice, Yourcitydeals.com has a %100 money back garuntee and all refunds have been processed without delay.
Banned
Oct 29, 2012
2 posts
Shady_Dealer your post makes no sense! Yourcitydeals.com has a %100 no question asked money back guarantee! They have been giving refunds without question so it makes me question the malicious nature of your post.
× < >