Automotive

[Merged] Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! [Your Dash Cam ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 29th, 2016 2:39 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 22, 2011
10603 posts
1896 upvotes
Ottawa
slade wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 9:08 am
I have to admit I did the same thing, except the woman started going then slammed the brakes on as I was checking left, the difference is we were turning into a guarded lane so there was absolutely no reason for her to do it. I went through insurance, my premium went up about $10 a month and its already going back down.
Not an excuse...
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13017 posts
816 upvotes
slade wrote:
I have to admit I did the same thing, except the woman started going then slammed the brakes on as I was checking left, the difference is we were turning into a guarded lane so there was absolutely no reason for her to do it. I went through insurance, my premium went up about $10 a month and its already going back down.
Glad you admitted fault. The reality is you were impatient. Hey we've all been there.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
5932 posts
758 upvotes
Vaughan
slade wrote:
Sorry, but lady in front of you is an idiot. I would have gotten out and reamed her for stopping. She had a full lane to go into.

Obviously your fault for hitting her, not denying that, but stupid drivers like this are the reasons accidents happen.

Know why she stopped? She was going to go directly into the left lane, like a complete and utter idiot. She had no intention of going into the correct lane.
Penalty Box
Aug 7, 2011
5932 posts
758 upvotes
Vaughan
DaVibe wrote:
Jul 21st, 2016 6:30 pm
If you're hesitant on a 2-lane opening, fine, but you should be timing it so that you can go between cars.
But on a 3-lane opening (1 lane for the left-hand turner, 1 middle lane, 1 lane for you, the right-hand turner), you should be going.

In an emergency situation, you have brakes, you have a steering wheel, you have a horn and you have lights. Lots of tools at your disposal. Even the gas pedal.
I think it shows a lack of confidence behind the wheel, which is fine, we aren't all pros out there. However, I'll still honk at you to turn :)

It's about timing. If you're already completely in the lane, as you should be, then it's an unsafe lane change on their part.
You guys are lulling too much making this turn.
Exactly. Thank you.

Someone not turning right with a wide open lane is getting an extremely long honk. Although, driving in Markham and Brampton has lost most of my horns power.
Jan 12, 2003
397 posts
78 upvotes
Yeah I never did not admit fault as I hit from behind, the cop that showed up didn't ticket me, just told us to go to the reporting station and deal with it.
2003/4 Logitech Cordless Navigator Duo
2007 - Pepsi - Score Every Hour - XBox 360 Arcade
2007 - KFC Chicken Bowls Contest - $5 Gift Card
2008 - Pepsi - "Win The Play" - 2 NFL Hats
2008 - WD - Crack the Code - TShirt
2009 - Wonder Bread Watch
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
2565 posts
155 upvotes
GTA
slade wrote:
I thought this happens more when the lane is guarded than when not guarded. If lane is not dedicated, people tend not to build up the required speed.

Also, on snowy days when traction is poor.

Of course, now your chance of this happening again is low, but won't stop the driver behind you rear ending you.

So my strategy is to not lead people on by riding the brake gliding forward , or not initiate at all until it's clear. Which cause some impatient jerks to slam on the horn.
Deal Expert
Feb 26, 2004
27000 posts
4210 upvotes
squadz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 11:02 am
Sorry, but lady in front of you is an idiot. I would have gotten out and reamed her for stopping. She had a full lane to go into.

Obviously your fault for hitting her, not denying that, but stupid drivers like this are the reasons accidents happen.

Know why she stopped? She was going to go directly into the left lane, like a complete and utter idiot. She had no intention of going into the correct lane.
she could be ragu sister
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1072 posts
402 upvotes
Toronto
A dog got loose from a little girl and decided to run directly in front of me.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 23, 2009
5662 posts
1822 upvotes
redkulat wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 4:49 pm
A dog got loose from a little girl and decided to run directly in front of me.
Dammmn. So, any damage to your car?
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
3309 posts
298 upvotes
slade wrote:
This happens every day. Drivers like that lady in front are unexperienced ones who don't know how to merge into traffic properly. These drivers either will stop at the begining or the end of the guarded lane. That's why the cop didn't give you a ticket. But again it's not your turn to check the left for traffic yet.
FS : DSL Modem, Promise NS4300N NAS, Nokia 7710, PM Me
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
8115 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
slade wrote:
slade wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 11:27 am
Yeah I never did not admit fault as I hit from behind, the cop that showed up didn't ticket me, just told us to go to the reporting station and deal with it.
I'm amazed you came through with only so few repercussions - lol, where approximately do you live?

AFAIK, in Ontario or the GTA at the least you would've ended up with more than a $120/year hike - it would be more like $1000 since you were clearly at fault with self-incriminating evidence.

I am glad the cop didn't ticket - but some others aren't that lucky and have even ended up with huge tickets such as careless driving.

Sorry I am being such a pessimist, I hate Ontario auto insurance with a passion but seeing that you came through relatively unscathed is more than good news.
Mar 5, 2012
165 posts
15 upvotes
Midland
slade wrote:
Kudos for posting. This might be the first video in the thread where someone admitted their own fault!

I think there may be a reason the car stopped however - just as you hit her a blue car moved into her lane just ahead of her. If this happens frequently in that area I can see why she was cautious.
Mar 5, 2012
165 posts
15 upvotes
Midland
vkizzle wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 10:08 am
Not an excuse...
To be fair to him he doesn't appear to be using it as an excuse.
Mar 5, 2012
165 posts
15 upvotes
Midland
squadz wrote:
Jul 22nd, 2016 11:02 am

I don't know the area where this happened, but if it's known that people frequently move into the right land immediately after the exit, then it would be better to proceed cautiously? There was a car that moved into her lane just as she was hit, maybe she saw the signals from the blue car and decided to wait?

Ideally yes, there should be no reason for her to stop knowing that there was a dedicated lane.
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13017 posts
816 upvotes
Reserve for later. You'll love this.

Taxi high beams and honks me for stopping for a street car stop then high beams me again for not punching it when the door closes so I give him a little payback. His passenger will probably take uber next time.

Video coming..
× < >