Automotive

Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! (Your Dash Cam ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 4:27 pm
Oct 12, 2010
259 posts
252 upvotes

Happened this morning. Lady two lanes over decides last second she wants to get into the express lane and cuts in front of me while braking. Was in the process of accelerating so collision warning and auto braking kicked in.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
TimFr wrote:

I was a bit far back so hard to see, but a guy pushes button to cross at a pedestrian crossing and starts to cross and guy in dark hatchback just motors through the crosswalk. The pedestrian pauses just in time to avoid getting hit. The guy had to stop at the stop light up ahead anyways so it's not like he saved any time. In addition, I'm always amazed that more people don't know the rules at crosswalks where you now have to wait until the pedestrian has completed crossed and that you cannot pass a stopped car between the X's and the crosswalk. If the cops wanted an easy way to write tickets, this is a perfect place to do it cause I see an infraction almost everytime someones crosses here.
Wait a minute...I watched that again, 3 cars went through that flashing light...not just the 2 idiots
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
TimFr wrote:

Happened this morning. Lady two lanes over decides last second she wants to get into the express lane and cuts in front of me while braking. Was in the process of accelerating so collision warning and auto braking kicked in.
did the overhead say "Collector moving slowly.....Express moving well" ?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Oct 12, 2010
259 posts
252 upvotes
blexann wrote: did the overhead say "Collector moving slowly.....Express moving well" ?
That's a good question. The 1 minute clip I downloaded doesn't show the overhead. I'd have to go back and check. I normally understand why there's a rush to get into the express here because there can be a bunch up of cars in the collectors around Yonge St since it crunches down to only two through lanes. It's a bit of a gamble though because any time saved by avoiding the collectors gets added at this interchange because there's a bottleneck here too (unless you don't mind cutting people off at the last second like here). I typically rely on google maps navigation to tell me whether I should get into the express lanes. This morning it told me to take the collectors and sure enough there was no traffic at Yonge so it actually would have been quicker for her if she had just stayed in the collectors.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2015
5100 posts
4404 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TimFr wrote: That's a good question. The 1 minute clip I downloaded doesn't show the overhead. I'd have to go back and check. I normally understand why there's a rush to get into the express here because there can be a bunch up of cars in the collectors around Yonge St since it crunches down to only two through lanes. It's a bit of a gamble though because any time saved by avoiding the collectors gets added at this interchange because there's a bottleneck here too (unless you don't mind cutting people off at the last second like here). I typically rely on google maps navigation to tell me whether I should get into the express lanes. This morning it told me to take the collectors and sure enough there was no traffic at Yonge so it actually would have been quicker for her if she had just stayed in the collectors.
Google maps, or any mapping software is useless if two different lanes are traveling at vastly different speeds for a decent length. This interchange is a good example. It will not say take "Express" and take into account you spending 5 minutes in the waiting line.

On to your first point. I have timed express vs. collector when the express entry lanes are backed up quite far back. Spot a bright truck going full speed into the collectors lane while you wait for 5 minutes to get into express. And then see if you catch up to the truck in collectors. Every single time I won going into express and without cutting into the waiting traffic like a classless person. You catch up to collectors just before Yonge, and then you win. Exit to collectors after Yonge, since the patch after Yonge always has free-flowing traffic.

TL;DR Take Express if it's moving well and collector is slow, you'll always win; eventually.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 7, 2007
5145 posts
21531 upvotes
Toronto
AtticGoo wrote: I've been driving to my family's cottage for over 20 years, nothing sucks more than getting stuck behind a truck hauling a boat. Once that truck starts going up a hill, everything behind it starts to slow down. Its best for everyone if slower traffic stays to the right. The left lane is only for passing, from the light onwards, there was not a car next to you until that car tried to squeeze in. If you move into the right lane, the car behind you can use the left lane to pass (which is what you are suppose to do) and hopefully that situation doesn't occur.
We're so far away it's not even worth trying. I'm sorry.
Jun 23, 2005
373 posts
213 upvotes
Hamilton
MTommy wrote: We're so far away it's not even worth trying. I'm sorry.
With a small alumnium boat and trailer like that, can you even notice the extra weight? I'd assume it weighs maybe 4-500 lbs? So like having 2-3 people in the truck with you.
❗
Aug 16, 2010
718 posts
729 upvotes
Sudbury
It's not super interesting but I just got the dashcam two days ago so eager to have something marginally shareable.

Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
Guy in a BMW M-series zipping through traffic to absolutely nowhere. Not much room for error.
CJCJ-927 CJCJ927

Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Aug 4, 2009
178 posts
140 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: Guy in a BMW M-series zipping through traffic to absolutely nowhere. Not much room for error.
CJCJ-927 CJCJ927

what an idiot.
most of the time when that happens to me i always end up either right behind them or beside them at the next traffic light.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
4373 posts
6939 upvotes
When your Elantra absolutely needs to get there 5 feet earlier. Wonder if she two foot pedals with that pro stop-go drafting...

Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
chimaican wrote: Guy in a BMW M-series zipping through traffic to absolutely nowhere. Not much room for error.
CJCJ-927 CJCJ927

I wouldn't even bother speeding through that stretch of 16th. First its Markham, this weaving is ultimately pointless, nobody is getting through it fast. Second, its the perfect spot for traps and as a result they've been doing that even when I was first driving 15+ years ago. If he ventures there frequently enough, a ticket is a guarantee just a question of whether its speeding or speeding plus some other charge.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
Caerus wrote: When your Elantra absolutely needs to get there 5 feet earlier. Wonder if she two foot pedals with that pro stop-go drafting...

Man, that was pretty disgusting to watch. Really hate ppl like that.
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: Man, that was pretty disgusting to watch. Really hate ppl like that.
Not sure about disgusting, more so plain stupid. Just begging to get a rear end collision and asking to replace brakes and brake lights probably yearly. Who knows maybe this driver wanted to retire their Elantra in a stupid fashion. Worse is the cam car was able to overtake both...so clearly this person isn't truly interested in getting ahead.
- Jegan V
Deal Expert
Sep 21, 2010
15185 posts
4647 upvotes
Montréal
JeganV wrote: Not sure about disgusting, more so plain stupid. Just begging to get a rear end collision and asking to replace brakes and brake lights probably yearly. Who knows maybe this driver wanted to retire their Elantra in a stupid fashion. Worse is the cam car was able to overtake both...so clearly this person isn't truly interested in getting ahead.
Obnoxious, selfish, stupid behaviour disgust me, so ya...
Hard work, inheritance, interest on interest accumulating, and stock and real estate speculation. It's all good.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2759 posts
1397 upvotes
Caerus wrote: When your Elantra absolutely needs to get there 5 feet earlier. Wonder if she two foot pedals with that pro stop-go drafting...

defeats the purpose of drafting if you're stepping on your brakes.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
3039 posts
2516 upvotes
Markham
tranquility922 wrote: Obnoxious, selfish, stupid behaviour disgust me, so ya...
Ah...that's my description of 80% of the GTA drivers I deal with...so that's probably why...
- Jegan V
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2014
1041 posts
862 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Driving North on Jarvis yesterday near Queen. Had to maneuver around a homeless lady in a wheelchair then yield to jaywalkers who the cussed me out and flipped me the bird.

Please respond
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17869 upvotes
GTA, ON
@CardinalComb

Your video is not there. You have it on private?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Sep 13, 2007
11105 posts
6746 upvotes
Toronto
CardinalComb wrote: Driving North on Jarvis yesterday near Queen. Had to maneuver around a homeless lady in a wheelchair then yield to jaywalkers who the cussed me out and flipped me the bird.

Crappy & shady neighborhood.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)