Automotive

Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! (Your Dash Cam ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2024 5:51 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17814 upvotes
GTA, ON
Dash cam thread.
@Andro
I'm cool with the occasional Go Pro bike video but this seems like you wanna start a cyclist blog. You're derailing the thread.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
chimaican wrote: Dash cam thread.
@Andro
I'm cool with the occasional Go Pro bike video but this seems like you wanna start a cyclist blog. You're derailing the thread.
Define occasional? My videos contain my bike and cars. I can stop posting on here if you like. Poster suggested in another thread to post here. GoPro is essentially cyclist's dashcam. I get lots of videos as there's lots of idiots. Should you guys want to I'll stop posting.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17814 upvotes
GTA, ON
Andro wrote: I can stop posting on here if you like. Poster suggested in another thread to post here. I get lots of videos as there's lots of idiots. Should you guys want to I'll stop posting.
Put it this way, if you're posting videos of other drivers (or cyclists) doing stupid things like driving erratically, illegal moves, and/or accidents, or things that could have harmed you or others (like running you off road or clipping you), +1. Even things that are unusual and different that might be fun to discuss, +1.

Posting multiple videos of people parking in your bicycle lane and you confronting them, that's a vlog , -1.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
chimaican wrote: Put it this way, if you're posting videos of other drivers (or cyclists) doing stupid things like driving erratically, illegal moves, and/or accidents, or things that could have harmed you or others (like running you off road or clipping you), +1. Even things that are unusual and different that might be fun to discuss, +1.

Posting multiple videos of people parking in your bicycle lane and you confronting them, that's a vlog , -1.
Parking in a bicycle lane is illegal, that can harm others. These things are unusual and different. To me, they are fun to discuss. The bicycle lane does not belong to me and yes I do like to confront people that behave in this way. Whether that's a vlog?

Its appears you don't enjoy them, so I see no problem in stopping to post them)
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2010
1796 posts
1293 upvotes
Toronto
Andro wrote: Parking in a bicycle lane is illegal, that can harm others. These things are unusual and different. To me, they are fun to discuss. The bicycle lane does not belong to me and yes I do like to confront people that behave in this way. Whether that's a vlog?

Yes that is a vlog, please stop derailing this thread. Also becareful out there, you like to confront people that behave in this way...until you cross the wrong person, be smart.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
ToDealHunter wrote: Yes that is a vlog, please stop derailing this thread. Also becareful out there, you like to confront people that behave in this way...until you cross the wrong person, be smart.
Gotcha
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5853 posts
2602 upvotes
Andro wrote: Define occasional? My videos contain my bike and cars. I can stop posting on here if you like. Poster suggested in another thread to post here. GoPro is essentially cyclist's dashcam. I get lots of videos as there's lots of idiots. Should you guys want to I'll stop posting.
I like your vids. As a fellow cyclist, if one person watches that and learns more about the rules of bike lanes and stops parking in them, which causes risks to other drivers (as cyclists need to go around the illegally parked vehicle), it's worth posting.

As you pointed out, this thread is about observing, recording, and posting illegal driver behaviour, which includes illegally parked vehicles. Also, a bicycle is a vehicle legally, so I would consider a camera mounted on a bike a dashcam
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19202 posts
17814 upvotes
GTA, ON
joshmxpx wrote: I like your vids. As a fellow cyclist, if one person watches that and learns more about the rules of bike lanes and stops parking in them, which causes risks to other drivers (as cyclists need to go around the illegally parked vehicle), it's worth posting.
And that's why I said an occasional video is cool, but he basically posted a series of the same thing.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6942 posts
6062 upvotes
Oakville, ON
joshmxpx wrote: I like your vids. As a fellow cyclist, if one person watches that and learns more about the rules of bike lanes and stops parking in them, which causes risks to other drivers (as cyclists need to go around the illegally parked vehicle), it's worth posting.

As you pointed out, this thread is about observing, recording, and posting illegal driver behaviour, which includes illegally parked vehicles. Also, a bicycle is a vehicle legally, so I would consider a camera mounted on a bike a dashcam
For greater clarity and safety, the local municipality should add No Parking signs along the boulevard area to increase visibility. Or maybe paint/stencil No Parking on the pavement. Anything to make it clearer to drivers that they cannot park there.

Unfortunately, there are some areas where there is legal parking along the curb beside the bike lane and this probably causes some of the confusion too from inconsistent application.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote: For greater clarity and safety, the local municipality should add No Parking signs along the boulevard area to increase visibility. Or maybe paint/stencil No Parking on the pavement. Anything to make it clearer to drivers that they cannot park there.

Unfortunately, there are some areas where there is legal parking along the curb beside the bike lane and this probably causes some of the confusion too from inconsistent application.
How confusing is this?

As a driver with over 20 years experience, I am apauled that another driver would not be satisfied with a bicycle lane sign, pavement markings. Those are more than adequate. The problem here is not the sign or the markings, its complete disregard for other members of the public. If markings would be an issue, all drivers would move once approached by someone like me who gives them a reasoning why their parking is unacceptable. What happens here is antisocial behavior and hopes of skating the law as long as possible. If you watched my videos it becomes quite apparent.
Images
  • IMG_20220428_083150.jpg
  • IMG_20220422_180232.jpg
  • IMG_20220414_145013.jpg
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
chimaican wrote: And that's why I said an occasional video is cool, but he basically posted a series of the same thing.
I guess you're looking for more car action. Maybe this will do?

Images
  • GX010019_1652587976581.jpg
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6306 posts
3199 upvotes
Cornwall PE
Andro wrote: Parking in a bicycle lane is illegal, that can harm others. These things are unusual and different. To me, they are fun to discuss. The bicycle lane does not belong to me and yes I do like to confront people that behave in this way. Whether that's a vlog?

We have bicycle lanes in my local as well, cyclist and cars have no problem figuring it out if someone has to drop someone off or pick someone up, I don't really consider that as parking. You state it places you in danger, I don't think so, you were in no danger in any of those videos. So much so not in danger you had no trouble stopping beside the car. Isn't there enough drama in the world already? Now that last video, that driver doesn't seem to know what he or she is doing no matter what lane they are in.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6942 posts
6062 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Andro wrote: How confusing is this?

As a driver with over 20 years experience, I am apauled that another driver would not be satisfied with a bicycle lane sign, pavement markings. Those are more than adequate. The problem here is not the sign or the markings, its complete disregard for other members of the public. If markings would be an issue, all drivers would move once approached by someone like me who gives them a reasoning why their parking is unacceptable. What happens here is antisocial behavior and hopes of skating the law as long as possible. If you watched my videos it becomes quite apparent.
Well, apparently, it’s confusing enough for you to encounter numerous offenders.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
betamaxman wrote: We have bicycle lanes in my local as well, cyclist and cars have no problem figuring it out if someone has to drop someone off or pick someone up, I don't really consider that as parking. You state it places you in danger, I don't think so, you were in no danger in any of those videos. So much so not in danger you had no trouble stopping beside the car. Isn't there enough drama in the world already? Now that last video, that driver doesn't seem to know what he or she is doing no matter what lane they are in.
You're missing the point. If I have to brake/stop for a car in bicycle lane, there's a problem. I/any other cyclist should be able to pass without stopping/slowing down in the bicycle lane, that's the point. Most cars in my videos are actually parked, not stopped. If you have no problem sharing bicycle lane with cars that's up to you, but it should not be this way and its also the law for a reason.

When I am passing the car on the left and enter car lane, I am in danger. This is not passing a car on the right close to the curb. This pushes me right into the middle of the road. Maybe ride a bicycle so you can get it?

Here's an explanation from enforcement, maybe this will help you understand?
Last edited by Andro on May 15th, 2022 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote: Well, apparently, it’s confusing enough for you to encounter numerous offenders.
No its not, a demarcated bicycle lane is off limits for cars, there's no confusion if you actually passed your drivers test. I am sure if I park my bicycle in the middle of car lane you'd be just as understanding :facepalm:
Last edited by Andro on May 15th, 2022 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
6942 posts
6062 upvotes
Oakville, ON
Andro wrote: No its not, a demarcated bicycle lane is off limits for cars, there's no confusion if you actually passed your drivers test. I am sure if I park my bicycle in the middle of car lane you'd be just as understanding :facepalm:
To be clear, I’m not confused. If it isn’t confusing to the numerous drivers you continue to encounter then why do you keep encountering them? I find it hard to believe that every single one of them is deliberately breaking the rules in full knowledge of the rules.

Old saying: never attribute malice to something that can be more easily explained by stupidity.

Stupid people are assisted by additional signage.
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
CanadianLurker wrote: To be clear, I’m not confused. If it isn’t confusing to the numerous drivers you continue to encounter then why do you keep encountering them? I find it hard to believe that every single one of them is deliberately breaking the rules in full knowledge of the rules.

Old saying: never attribute malice to something that can be more easily explained by stupidity.

Stupid people are assisted by additional signage.
I keep encountering them because most chose to ignore it. I have had conversations with many there for over 2 month now. Many observed me having these conversations too. Even in my videos you see they admit to knowing, just thinking its not a big deal. Do I enjoy having conversations with drivers that shouldn't be holding drivers licenses? No. What choice do I have? I'd like to ride in peace and I'd like others to enjoy bike lanes too. Not everyone has a personality that can just look the other way and move on with their lives. Would you not stop and help someone on the street if you though they needed it? Most riders in the area are kids/teenagers and are obviously afraid to approach an adult.

Should the driver be confused, they should be able to leave immediately after I explained myself. Yet, as you can tell, they only leave once they completed their pickup/drop off. Comfort over everything/everyone. For them driving is a right NOT a privilege.
Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1114 posts
1020 upvotes
Andro - Just going to add another dimension to the argument here... (Don't be mad, I'm only half serious). This thread is for dashcams only, not action cameras. Go make another thread and share your clips there.

Its been a while since I posted, I don't have much to post these days. But I got two clips that were interesting. Let me know what I can do better.

Don't forget to goo your attic!
Deal Guru
Jan 8, 2006
11263 posts
6199 upvotes
Ontario
AtticGoo wrote: Andro - Just going to add another dimension to the argument here... (Don't be mad, I'm only half serious). This thread is for dashcams only, not action cameras. Go make another thread and share your clips there.

Its been a while since I posted, I don't have much to post these days. But I got two clips that were interesting. Let me know what I can do better.

Yes, thank you for your dashcam footage. Don't worry I'll refrain from posting in this thread to preserve its dashcam purity)
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12313 posts
5393 upvotes
AtticGoo wrote: Andro - Just going to add another dimension to the argument here... (Don't be mad, I'm only half serious). This thread is for dashcams only, not action cameras. Go make another thread and share your clips there.

When it's that close I purposely try and stop last, just so there's no confusion. Otherwise it becomes a race to the white line to see who stops first - it's not worth getting upset over it.
Maybe you should have anticipated the driver coming out like that (?) but then again he didn't signal. There's no excuse for breaking checking you
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)