Automotive

[Merged] Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! [Your Dash Cam ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 26th, 2018 1:17 am
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
254 upvotes
jaswest2754 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:29 am
Looks like non of those conditions were met to make the u-turn illegal so the video poster should of just went farther up in the turn lane and made his turn behind the u-turning vehicle. It looks like the video poster just turned from where he was rather than proceeding to end of turn lane and then turning.
The truck in front went right to the end to maximize the amount of space he had to make the U-turn. I've made that left turns 100s of times since moving to that area. There is nothing wrong with the line I took to complete the left turn.

The previous post is correct, there is no law against making a U-turn where that driver chose. With that being said, I cannot predict that he is going to make a U-Turn there, what happens if he runs out of space and he blocks the way? There are smarter choices for other drivers when they want to make a U-Turn. He could turn left, drive a bit further, pull into a driveway and then back out when there is time and space. He chose a less an optimal spot to turn around.
Feb 19, 2012
823 posts
463 upvotes
Woodbridge
TicoGato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:56 am

The previous post is correct, there is no law against making a U-turn where that driver chose. With that being said, I cannot predict that he is going to make a U-Turn there, what happens if he runs out of space and he blocks the way? There are smarter choices for other drivers when they want to make a U-Turn. He could turn left, drive a bit further, pull into a driveway and then back out when there is time and space. He chose a less an optimal spot to turn around.

If you give the driver ahead of you sufficient space, there is no issue. The other vehicle is within his right to make a u-turn and has no obligation to drive up further to turn around. There was no oncoming traffic and no real risk. The fact that you were bothered by the other driver's decision to make a u-turn doesn't make it illegal or unsafe. In fact, using an intersection to make a u-turn is both legal and efficient as it gives you more space to complete your turn. The smarter choice would be to give the other driver a bit more space.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
10382 posts
1176 upvotes
RFD
There should be dedicated signals on vehicles for U-Turns Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
1784 posts
261 upvotes
m4r 1k8
TicoGato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 11:56 am
The truck in front went right to the end to maximize the amount of space he had to make the U-turn. I've made that left turns 100s of times since moving to that area. There is nothing wrong with the line I took to complete the left turn.

he chose a less optimal spot to turn around for you. not for him. for him it seems like the most optimal spot :)
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13602 posts
1245 upvotes
Happens all the time.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Mar 29, 2015
159 posts
58 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
Just blow the horn straight for a few seconds as it happens and move on.
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
254 upvotes
greybrick wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:17 pm
If you give the driver ahead of you sufficient space, there is no issue. The other vehicle is within his right to make a u-turn and has no obligation to drive up further to turn around. There was no oncoming traffic and no real risk. The fact that you were bothered by the other driver's decision to make a u-turn doesn't make it illegal or unsafe. In fact, using an intersection to make a u-turn is both legal and efficient as it gives you more space to complete your turn. The smarter choice would be to give the other driver a bit more space.
He is signaling left, I am expecting him to turn left. When he makes a U-Turn instead of doing what he is signalling, it causes confusion - which almost result in him getting pit maneuvered.
ed116 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 12:57 pm
he chose a less optimal spot to turn around for you. not for him. for him it seems like the most optimal spot :)
Thank you for clarifying what I said.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
18945 posts
6514 upvotes
Ottawa
TicoGato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:31 pm
He is signaling left, I am expecting him to turn left. When he makes a U-Turn instead of doing what he is signalling, it causes confusion - which almost result in him getting pit maneuvered.

Thank you for clarifying what I said.
Which signal is for u-turns?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
18945 posts
6514 upvotes
Ottawa
LordPhan wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 9:55 am
Found the exact law in Ontario,
And what part of the HTA applies in the video?
Banned
Jul 31, 2016
437 posts
254 upvotes
vkizzle wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:47 pm
Which signal is for u-turns?
It doesn't exist, which is why I suggested he take an extra 30 seconds to make the left, turn into a driveway, back out and proceed to make a right turn when he gets back to Victoria Park.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2002
5136 posts
5035 upvotes
Toronto
TicoGato wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:31 pm
A left turn signal does not pre-empt the possibility that a U-turn can take place nor is a left turn signal inappropriate for signalling an intent for a left U-turn. You were following too close and would have been at fault if you hit them, particularly given the rainy conditions.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6453 posts
4666 upvotes
Oakville
thedoctorr wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:14 pm
Wow, that's a pretty frustrating drive you have. I have a similar issue with people not knowing how to use right turn into a dedicated lane. So many people stop instead of driving in their lane.
RaidZero wrote:
Dec 28th, 2017 9:33 pm
Look at this guy, I barely saw him and tried to move out of his way. He came from behind and passed on red, in an intersection with no visibility from the front. Nuts.
Unfortunately the plate is not readable.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cd5gx
That's like driving in Quebec. When the lights turn red they floor it to race through the intersection.
mudgts wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 12:46 pm
This really shouldn't surprise anyone...
Brampton... Dec. 30th..
That's frustrating. Sometimes I wish I was driving a plow truck to deal with people like this.
daivey wrote:
Dec 31st, 2017 12:28 am
first time losing traction in the rear like that - without me pulling the e-brake.. took the corner to fast .
pretty easy recovery.
front wheel drive car by the way.
You may have lifted off the gas causing the rear to slip out. In a FWD you should hit the gas and counter steer to straighten out, which it looks like you did. Do you have winter tires on all 4 wheels?
Ebeniz wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 12:40 am
This might look like a Russian compilation, but it's not.
The ending was pure karma.
GYR8 wrote:
Jan 5th, 2018 11:30 pm
This is my video, shot on January 4, 2017. Spotted in central Bellingham, Washington:
A deer, crossing the street. At the crosswalk :D
Enjoy,
GYR8
Darwinism at work.
LongLiveRFD wrote:
Jan 7th, 2018 3:56 pm
At least such scams take skills, relative to the Ragu ones.
Another popular scam is simply banking on bad traction, snowy/rainy days and preferably on the downhill. Very hard to dispute, easy injury payout, abundant targets of people not 100% on the ball.
One of my friend was victim of such set up, on a snowing Xmas day. His minivan basically couldn't stop on all seasons and had to watch his car drift into the scammer who all of a sudden brake hard (on green turning amber). It's scammer because officer knows but couldn't lay charge and a few days later he saw the same thing happened to another unsuspecting car, same spot, same damaged vehicle.
https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.7717738, ... 312!8i6656
This scam easily extends to right turn roll stop too.
As long as people drive tactically, it's not that hard to skip the queue waiting to get scammed.
Sadly it was still your friend's fault. He was on the wrong tires and following too closely. Car ahead was well within their rights to stop for a yellow.
How did the cops know they were a scammer? Maybe he was just agreeing with your friend to placate them?
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2011
3761 posts
474 upvotes
GTA
engineered wrote:
Jan 12th, 2018 12:07 am
Sadly it was still your friend's fault. He was on the wrong tires and following too closely. Car ahead was well within their rights to stop for a yellow.
How did the cops know they were a scammer? Maybe he was just agreeing with your friend to placate them?
Because too many similar incidents at same spot. The scammer drives around the same blocks in figure 8 fishing victims. They only move on downhill, create enough impact so the entire "family" on board gets to claim injuries.

I was thinking even with winters, the stopping distance changes given slope and not many would experiment with their car's momentum to know.

It's an expensive way to learn but at least those scammers are adding value by teaching people grade 11 physics, relative to the ragu stunt.

MTO should show such footages so people know what winter driving takes.