Automotive

[Merged] Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! [Your Dash Cam ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 16th, 2018 3:31 pm
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7907 posts
6318 upvotes
Oakville
zeenon wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 8:05 pm
Be careful, I've been pulled over for this move, got a warning from cop
That's a new one. What did he say? I've been doing this for decades and never heard of anyone getting in trouble. Do you happen to be non-white or drive a noticeable car?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6946 posts
2869 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
engineered wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 10:55 pm
That's a new one. What did he say? I've been doing this for decades and never heard of anyone getting in trouble. Do you happen to be non-white or drive a noticeable car?
Perhaps he stopped a car length behind a stop line to activate the sensor but when more cars came up behind him he remained there instead of moving up.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2017
3023 posts
2051 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 4:39 pm
Some intersections have their weight sensors installed further back so that the filter doesn't activate unless there is a line of traffic. It allows better flow of traffic without needlessly activating the advance turn for one car and wasting seconds for the time cycle for the main flow. That said, if you have this knowledge, might as well use it.
I don't know what system they use in your town, but a "weight sensor" seems unlikely. Around here they use an inductive loop sensor, which is just a wire loop with a small current running through it that detects any large metallic object passing through the loop magnetic field by a voltage fluctuation. It's simple and cheap. You can usually see them embedded in the pavement since they cut the wire into the pavement after paving. You can also see that at busy intersections that have several loops in the lane to detect when there is more than one car waiting.

So if there is a single pavement loop, and the car does not pull up onto it, the light will not be triggered. I see this happen often around here, as there are many nervous new drivers who stop too far back from the stop line. Conversely if you are trying to trigger the light to change by hanging back, it's not going to work . But when there are several sensors and there's already a car waiting on top of the first sensor, and I can see that there's a second sensor further back, I sometimes hang back and stop on the second sensor to see if it helps trigger the light (or left turn signal) quicker.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6946 posts
2869 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
Exp315 wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 11:00 am
I don't know what system they use in your town, but a "weight sensor" seems unlikely. Around here they use an inductive loop sensor, which is just a wire loop with a small current running through it that detects any large metallic object passing through the loop magnetic field by a voltage fluctuation. It's simple and cheap. You can usually see them embedded in the pavement since they cut the wire into the pavement after paving. You can also see that at busy intersections that have several loops in the lane to detect when there is more than one car waiting.

So if there is a single pavement loop, and the car does not pull up onto it, the light will not be triggered. I see this happen often around here, as there are many nervous new drivers who stop too far back from the stop line. Conversely if you are trying to trigger the light to change by hanging back, it's not going to work . But when there are several sensors and there's already a car waiting on top of the first sensor, and I can see that there's a second sensor further back, I sometimes hang back and stop on the second sensor to see if it helps trigger the light (or left turn signal) quicker.
+1

Sure, it could be that too and I'm sure I'm probably wrong. I'm just saying that they have technology in place to determine how far back vehicles maybe in line. I look for those cuts in the pavement and a lot of times it's in place of where a 2nd or 3rd car would be. So if it's a PITA intersection where traffic is heavy and you can't turn I may stop at this point to activate the dedicated filter even if I'm the only car.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3637 posts
808 upvotes
Vancouver
dredd2099 wrote:
Mar 10th, 2018 10:48 pm
Send this one to the highway patrol. What a douchebag.

Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5596 posts
3884 upvotes
North York
dredd2099 wrote:
Yes please make out the license plate and report this ass.
Jan 29, 2014
456 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
Prasprime wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 11:38 pm
Hi Members
Any one card read the name written on the mud flops?
This happened in Calgary.
The falling ice broke my car grille.

My detectable is $1000. To fix the grill it's $1150.
My insurance want me to pay the $1000.
If I find the vechile owner contact. They said they can talk to them and get some money.

Any idea guys ?
You couldn't cut the video to the part where ice actually falls from the truck? I was expecting ice to fall off the SUV for the first 3 minutes :facepalm:

Also, looks like you had a lot of snow on your hood too. Makes me wonder how much snow is on the rest of your car that could have fallen off and damaged other vehicles.

Take this as a lesson learned. Don't drive close to cars/trucks that obviously have snow and ice falling off of it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2007
7586 posts
1449 upvotes
???
Prasprime wrote:
Hi Members

If I find the vechile owner contact. They said they can talk to them and get some money.

Any idea guys ?
Accident starts at 3:13 for anyone watching.
Also why didn't you clean your windshield with washer fluid or was their none?
Koodo $40/8GB
Bell Fibe 300Mbps unlimited $25
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
17127 posts
1454 upvotes
Woodbridge
Lesson learned. Why was OP coasting behind the 18 Wheeler?
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19898 posts
3765 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Bmw drivers. What can you say about them? This one tries to wreck two cars and FAILED!!!!!
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2008
12042 posts
1899 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
33966 wrote:
Mar 8th, 2018 4:17 pm
Second one not the greatest, but it's a cool trick that I know of that let's me get an advanced left turn despite me being 1 car while the other side a bunch of cars want to go straight. Is this a not good thing to do? Let me know, I rarely do it.
It's not a good thing to do. Why can't you wait an extra minute to turn left?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2015
1581 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Prasprime wrote:
Hi Members

Any idea guys ?
You clearly were too lazy to clean your own car. And you also drove next to a truck, while knowing there's snow.

And then you expect people to waste 3 minutes watching nothing before the action comes and then spend more time trying to figure out the plate number.

Not sure what your game plan is here, but no sympathies from me. Chalk it up as a lesson learned, $1,000 is not a lot of money.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
5471 posts
1631 upvotes
dredd2099 wrote:
Why would he do that if he's not gonna drive fast anyway? Very erratic behavior.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2005
4830 posts
566 upvotes
Prasprime wrote:
Hi Members

Any idea guys ?
I don't think you have much if any hope of getting a dime from the trucker.
#1- you can't prove that the ice from the truck caused your damaged grille
#2 - even if you could prove it, would ice or snow falling off another person's vehicle be a right to make a claim? I could see if it was part of the vehicle or its load causing damage but i'm not sure about ice/snow/or stones. The trucker could easily say it came from the unkept road which is a possibility.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)