Automotive

Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! (Your Dash Cam ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 4:27 pm
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19242 posts
17870 upvotes
GTA, ON
Bratcoin wrote: This is similar to what I captured years ago. Insurance put all the blame on the one who beat the red light.
I hope this is the case. I want the books thrown at them: the law book and the insurance fault book.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Dec 27, 2017
457 posts
463 upvotes
night blade wrote: Left turner will be paying the bills for that for insurance purposes, up to him to make sure the road is clear before proceeding is the law. However, what the police will say is another matter, not sure if they'll charge the Corolla for running a late yellow.
Echoing most people's comments here. The left turner will have to bear most, all of the responsibility here as they are required to ensure it is safe to make their turn.

That being said I agree the corolla driver is displaying aggressive driving behaviour, and speed appeared to be a factor as well (judging from the video as there is no speed indicated). Lucky for the SUV driver your video will help their case.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2008
5408 posts
11431 upvotes
Ottawa
jgaleazza wrote: Echoing most people's comments here. The left turner will have to bear most, all of the responsibility here as they are required to ensure it is safe to make their turn.

That being said I agree the corolla driver is displaying aggressive driving behaviour, and speed appeared to be a factor as well (judging from the video as there is no speed indicated). Lucky for the SUV driver your video will help their case.
Insurance has a different fault determination rule. The driver of the car that crossed intersection on red bears 100% responsibility.
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668
See 15 (2) :
15. (1) This section applies with respect to an incident that occurs at an intersection with traffic signals. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 15 (1).
(2) If the driver of automobile “B” fails to obey a traffic signal, the driver of automobile “A” is not at fault and the driver of automobile “B” is 100 per cent at fault for the incident. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 668, s. 15 (2).
Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1126 posts
1028 upvotes
chimaican wrote:
Unfortunately the left-turner will probably face the brunt of the insurance for at-fault as they did not wait until it was safe to complete their turn, but I'm hoping the police will charge the Corolla driver. There is no doubt here based upon your multi-angle video that the Corolla was being the aggressive driver here. He/she switched lanes at the last minute just so they can run the red light. There is a chance that the left-turner may not even had seen or anticipated that the Corolla would have popped out beside you. IMO, Corolla should be charged with at least careless driving (if not dangerous).
jgaleazza wrote: Echoing most people's comments here. The left turner will have to bear most, all of the responsibility here as they are required to ensure it is safe to make their turn.

I don't know how you can think someone running a red light wouldn't be 100% at fault for hitting another car.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Dec 27, 2017
457 posts
463 upvotes
seafish wrote: Insurance has a different fault determination rule. The driver of the car that crossed intersection on red bears 100% responsibility.
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/900668
See 15 (2) :
AtticGoo wrote: I don't know how you can think someone running a red light wouldn't be 100% at fault for hitting another car.
That's not what I said at all. I'll repeat myself with more clarity.

Most of the time the left turner bears the responsibility for ensuring it is safe to make the turn. However in this specific case the SUV driver is lucky to have the OP's video which clearly shows the Corolla driving aggressively and speeding. However without that video it would be difficult to prove the Corolla at fault.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19242 posts
17870 upvotes
GTA, ON
AtticGoo wrote: I don't know how you can think someone running a red light wouldn't be 100% at fault for hitting another car.
Basically what @jgaleazza wrote.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1126 posts
1028 upvotes
jgaleazza wrote: That's not what I said at all. I'll repeat myself with more clarity.

Most of the time the left turner bears the responsibility for ensuring it is safe to make the turn. However in this specific case the SUV driver is lucky to have the OP's video which clearly shows the Corolla driving aggressively and speeding. However without that video it would be difficult to prove the Corolla at fault.
When a video is posted, we evaluate the circumstances of the event according to what we see in the video. To comment in generalities seems to derail the conversation. In this instance, it is clear that the vehicle ran the red light when they hit the other car and is 100% at-fault for causing the accident. Speed may have been a factor, but the definitive proof is their car crossing the white line after the light had turned red.

Without video or corroborating witnesses, any accident would be difficult to prove innocence or fault.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6372 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
The Lexus SUV coming from the left completely ignore the All-Way-Stop.

You should notice when I approach the intersection, there is no car on the left. When I stop, this Lexus is closing in to the intersection.
When I start to go, notice he is not even slowing down and like there is no stop sign at all and run right though.
If it was my teenager kid driving, most likely will get T-boned.

Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2014
1474 posts
2821 upvotes
0 downvotes (Maple,O…
cheapshopper wrote: The Lexus SUV coming from the left completely ignore the All-Way-Stop.

You should notice when I approach the intersection, there is no car on the left. When I stop, this Lexus is closing in to the intersection.
When I start to go, notice he is not even slowing down and like there is no stop sign at all and run right though.
If it was my teenager kid driving, most likely will get T-boned.

Haha, you don't expect thieves stealing a Lexus to stop at stop signs! Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Fanatic
Jan 31, 2007
6372 posts
6734 upvotes
Center of Canada
fordmaple wrote: Haha, you don't expect thieves stealing a Lexus to stop at stop signs! Face With Tears Of Joy
Good point, I didn't think this way. Now you said it, I saw the guy in Lexus wearing a ski-mask and wonder why.
Bright side of RFD: Often find good deal
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1126 posts
1028 upvotes
cheapshopper wrote: Good point, I didn't think this way. Now you said it, I saw the guy in Lexus wearing a ski-mask and wonder why.
What!?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
seafish wrote:
Witnessed a pretty bad crash yesterday. Corolla ran the red light from behind me and crashed into car turning left. SUV driver and his little kid seemed to be ok after. He saw me stopping and assumed it was safe to turn :(
Sent them footage which should be handy.

So, what is a fault determination here? Does turning left driver bear any fault since they need to make sure it's safe before turning? Hope not, because corolla driver ran red and possibly speeding.
Red Light runner at fault 100% by insurance fault determination rules and will get charge for red light fail to stop.

Been a part of this type of collision myself as a family member went through this situation as the left turner. Guy ran a yellow and tboned my FM. Result > 0% fault for FM and other driver received a fail to stop, yellow light ticket.

No dashcam either back then, so he was mad lucky, other driver must’ve self incriminated.
Deal Addict
Jul 13, 2007
1263 posts
803 upvotes
Toronto
Almost hit a jay-walker in the first video.

In second video, black Audi appears at far left and doesn't stay within their lane. Later returns into view and doesn't signal or shoulder check before trying to lane-change into me. Then they way overcorrect to the left. No audio but I think my honking did the trick.

Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19242 posts
17870 upvotes
GTA, ON
Fairly boring December, with nothing of major interest... so, compilation this time.
1) This left-turn was risky IMO. I assume their view was obstructed by the opposing left-turn lane, but even more reason NOT to turn. Surprised that on-coming car didn't lean on the horn, but I guess they must of wet their pants?
2) This was a risky left-turner with me on the approach
3) I guess they better check their alignment after this :lol:

Tis banana is IRIE 😎

Deal Addict
May 21, 2018
1126 posts
1028 upvotes
chimaican wrote: Fairly boring December, with nothing of major interest... so, compilation this time.
1) This left-turn was risky IMO. I assume their view was obstructed by the opposing left-turn lane, but even more reason NOT to turn. Surprised that on-coming car didn't lean on the horn, but I guess they must of wet their pants?
2) This was a risky left-turner with me on the approach
3) I guess they better check their alignment after this :lol:

I think the first one had enough time and space to clear the on-coming car.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
AtticGoo wrote: I think the first one had enough time and space to clear the on-coming car.
still risky, imagine if there was another vehicle coming out from behind that left turner - like the corolla video posted a few days ago.
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4233 posts
1220 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Witnessed a pretty bad crash yesterday. Corolla ran the red light from behind me and crashed into car turning left. SUV driver and his little kid seemed to be ok after. He saw me stopping and assumed it was safe to turn :(
Sent them footage which should be handy.

So, what is a fault determination here? Does turning left driver bear any fault since they need to make sure it's safe before turning? Hope not, because corolla driver ran red and possibly speeding.
Wow. That was a SOLID red. Hope you give contact info to the left turner. He/she will be deemed at fault without your help. That's why we have the red light camera to catch these solid red runners that caused problem to other drivers.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
Bratcoin wrote: This is similar to what I captured years ago. Insurance put all the blame on the one who beat the red light.
Replying to your old quote, actually the red light ticket is just the cherry on top of the consequences. The at-fault collision rating stays on for at least 6 years. That hurts more than the RL ticket. The ticket is a monetary fine anyways.
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2017
1034 posts
1822 upvotes
What a crappy dash camera. The "red" light looks like a yellow lol
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21248 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
Kingsmen17 wrote: What a crappy dash camera. The "red" light looks like a yellow lol
This is the camera Elon thinks will do FSD...
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

chimaican