Automotive

[Merged] Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! [Your Dash Cam ONLY]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2018 10:20 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
5543 posts
3148 upvotes
Richmond Hill
chimaican wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 6:38 am
Where did the white vehicle come from? Tried watching the video and I just don't see it.
Right at the 9-second mark
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11273 posts
1644 upvotes
Markham
goneinsixtyseconds wrote:
Aug 3rd, 2018 10:22 pm
If you're stuck in an intersection many seconds after a red light, DON'T CROSS TRAFFIC. One of the most dangerous situations you could put yourself in.

Can't believe people are blaming the honking or the traffic design lol. What a terrible driver. They could have very easily just turned right and then gone around.
Aug 22, 2005
70 posts
82 upvotes
North York
I thought people only get stuck in intersections between 8-9 am. Sometimes I wish we have box junction law here and have them all ticketed. :twisted:
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4655 posts
197 upvotes
Ancaster

Slow dashcam day (that and my dashcam's been flaky with saving vids)
Not that I was following the curve to my lane exactly either, but I still tried to get back into my lane. Almost feels like it would've been worse if I'd stuck to my own curve.
Deal Addict
May 19, 2003
4655 posts
197 upvotes
Ancaster
If you're stuck in an intersection many seconds after a red light, DON'T CROSS TRAFFIC. One of the most dangerous situations you could put yourself in.
The blame is squarely with the Volvo driver. Yes you're crossing the intersection, but you know that there's going to be traffic coming from your right side. At that point it's like making a left turn -- you have to check if there's oncoming traffic before proceeding. The Volvo didn't see that white car until it was squarely in front of them.

Fricking scary though. That white car had no chance given that their view of the the full intersection was obscured by the silver and black cards in the left turn and left-most lanes (respectively). One would not reasonably expect a car creeping across an intersection on a relatively established green.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19853 posts
3701 upvotes
Poormond Hill

The aftermath. Could have been far worse for both drivers.

Was it that important to record the scene when first aid is being provided?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Dec 20, 2006
366 posts
100 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 5:21 am
Was it that important to record the scene when first aid is being provided?
Both drivers were fine at that point. After the collision I pulled over and went to the scene to see if everyone was okay. The driver of the Volvo with his passenger were pulled over in the gas station and out of their vehicle watching the scene. The driver of the BMW was shaken but had no visible injuries. He couldn't speak English so I was translating between the 911 operator and him. When he indicated that he wasn't in pain anywhere and wasn't injured anywhere I recorded a quick clip being respectful not to catch his face or anything personally identifiable. The fire crews at that point we're just ensuring the BMW wasn't going to combust and were checking on him prior to the arrival of the paramedics. Ambulance arrived shortly afterwards but I was with the officer on the scene at that point leaving my information. The driver of the BMW was a 20 year old looking kid and this was likely his first accident with air bags deployed, so he was just shaken and in minor shock.
the internet is serious business.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2006
3289 posts
218 upvotes
Didnt have my dash cam last night and a Civic in front of me spun out on 404N between Sheppard and Finch at around 10pm. Not sure what it was doing but I was able to stop in time to avoid the accident.

People are driving way too aggressive on the highway especially on the 401W that I came from.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
6836 posts
2678 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
felixdd wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 10:41 pm

Slow dashcam day (that and my dashcam's been flaky with saving vids)
Not that I was following the curve to my lane exactly either, but I still tried to get back into my lane. Almost feels like it would've been worse if I'd stuck to my own curve.
I agree, other driver drifted into your lane. Also glad you're owning up to your own turning mistake (mist RFD drivers wouldn't). Best to always take your left turn wide when you're on the outside of a double turn lane. Smiling Face With Smiling Eyes
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19853 posts
3701 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Aug 5th, 2018 9:21 am
Both drivers were fine at that point. After the collision I pulled over and went to the scene to see if everyone was okay. The driver of the Volvo with his passenger were pulled over in the gas station and out of their vehicle watching the scene. The driver of the BMW was shaken but had no visible injuries. He couldn't speak English so I was translating between the 911 operator and him. When he indicated that he wasn't in pain anywhere and wasn't injured anywhere I recorded a quick clip being respectful not to catch his face or anything personally identifiable. The fire crews at that point we're just ensuring the BMW wasn't going to combust and were checking on him prior to the arrival of the paramedics. Ambulance arrived shortly afterwards but I was with the officer on the scene at that point leaving my information. The driver of the BMW was a 20 year old looking kid and this was likely his first accident with air bags deployed, so he was just shaken and in minor shock.
Yes. But was it necessary to record?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2012
2336 posts
918 upvotes
MARKHAM
guessguy wrote:
Aug 4th, 2018 9:45 am
I see the impact. That's terrible for the Volvo, stuck in no-mans land. I think the white car has some blame here as well.
no way, I highly doubt the white car can even see the volvo at all because the turning left cars blocked it. and how could anyone expect a car to showup out of no where when your light is green while going straight.
Dec 20, 2006
366 posts
100 upvotes
sandikosh wrote:
Aug 5th, 2018 1:42 pm
Yes. But was it necessary to record?
I believe so. So long as there weren't serious injuries or a fatality, documenting the scene as a learning experience for others of situations to avoid when on the road. Ultimately that's what I see as the value of a dash cam thread.
the internet is serious business.
Jun 29, 2015
156 posts
102 upvotes
Canada Eh?
Not so much of a dash cam video but I guess someone in Vancouver got pissed off with all the Richmond driving...pretty hilarious though:

Jun 29, 2015
156 posts
102 upvotes
Canada Eh?

The aftermath. Could have been far worse for both drivers.
Not sure if this has changed, correct me if I'm wrong with this.

When I had my driving instructor a long time ago, I was told that if you entered the intersection on green, and could not complete the turn or cross the intersection when it turns red, you still had the right of way to clear the intersection since you're already in it.
Of course, not the safest thing to do since there's now cross traffic. I wouldn't even had backed up, would have turned right instead.
Nov 2, 2012
550 posts
418 upvotes
Winnipeg
You can see the Focus coming from the right side. Green for me and yield for him. You would think with a bus stopped, you would be even more careful since this giant box is covering your view of vehicles and possibly pedestrians. Nope, no need to look, just hang right. Maybe yield later.

I was already easing off the gas as soon as I saw little kids walking from the bus, so this wasn't as bad as it could have been. But seriously, let's just not pay attention, drive by a bus, and past a yield sign. Nobody will be there.