Automotive

Post videos of daily events from your dash cam here! (Your Dash Cam ONLY)

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 4:27 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
samyou92 wrote: the guy driving wasnt even driving fast. the pedestrian decided to walk into the middle of the street without even looking on to oncoming traffic. clearly shes not using her brains if she doesnt realize shes hidden by the truck and no driver can ever spot her until last minute.
My interpretation of the jay-walking video was that both parties were defensive and that there was little danger. Good conduct prevailed.
samyou92 wrote: also, this statement makes no sense as it goes against traffic rules stated in MTO books.
"You do not have the right-of-way until others have yielded it to you."
Any chance of a quote from these "MTO books"? I bet they state that you must yield the right-of-way ... not that you have the right-of-way.
samyou92 wrote: For example: lets say youre driving in a roundabout and someone guy comes in and cut you off. the driver in the roundabout ALWAYS has the right of way. its just the other driver is an idiot and DID NOT follow traffic rules of obeying the yield sign .
No, he does not have the right-of-way but the other driver is supposed to yield the right-of-way.

When you race around believing you have the right-of-way you cause collisions, upset, injury and death. Wait to see if the right-of-way is yielded to you. Until then just assume you don't yet have it.

That's your lesson from the Yukon for today. Thanks for reading.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1113 posts
824 upvotes
Moncton
Marzipan wrote: My interpretation of the jay-walking video was that both parties were defensive and that there was little danger. Good conduct prevailed.
Are you watching the same video as the rest of us? That woman who walked out between the trucks didn't even look to see if anything was coming. To me it looked like the driver was going a bit fast for those conditions, but to be fair the wide FOV lens on most dash cams make the speed appear faster than it actually is.
Marzipan wrote: Any chance of a quote from these "MTO books"? I bet they state that you must yield the right-of-way ... not that you have the right-of-way.
Here's one section that may help you...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .4.3.shtml

Yes - in these situations one vehicle has the right of way, and the other vehicle must yield to the vehicle that has the right of way.

Do they not have yield signs in Yukon?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
oIIIIIo wrote:
Here's one section that may help you...

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... .4.3.shtml

Yes - in these situations one vehicle has the right of way, and the other vehicle must yield to the vehicle that has the right of way.
In the passage from the link we are told nine times "you must yield" the right of way. Once it says the other guy has the right-of-way. Never once are we told we have the right-of-way ... because that is something motor vehicles cannot promise us.

Here are the passages from the handbook. Note from the outset the title is Yielding the right-of-way not Having the right-of-way

Yielding the right-of-way

There are times when you must yield the right-of-way. This means you must let another driver go first. Here are some rules about when you must yield the right-of-way.

At an intersection without signs or lights, you must yield the right-of-way to a vehicle approaching the intersection before you, and if you arrive at the same time, the vehicle approaching from the right has the right-of-way (Diagram 2-18).

At an intersection with stop signs at all corners, you must yield the right-of-way to the first vehicle to come to a complete stop. If two vehicles stop at the same time, the vehicle on the left must yield to the vehicle on the right (Diagram 2-19).

At any intersection where you want to turn left or right, you must yield the right-of-way. If you are turning left, you must wait for approaching traffic to pass or turn and for pedestrians in or approaching your path to cross. If you are turning right, you must wait for pedestrians to cross if they are in or approaching your path (Diagram 2-20). You should also check your blind spot for cyclists approaching from behind, particularly in a bike lane to your right, on a sidewalk or a trail. A yield sign means you must slow down or stop if necessary and yield the right-of-way to traffic in the intersection or on the intersecting road.

When entering a road from a private road or driveway, you must yield to vehicles on the road and pedestrians on the sidewalk (Diagram 2-21).

You must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing at specially marked pedestrian crossovers (Diagram 2-22).

Remember, signalling does not give you the right-of-way. You must make sure the way is clear.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
Why are people are replying and fueling trolls? Just ignore them.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2006
1113 posts
824 upvotes
Moncton
WHO wrote: Why are people are replying and fueling trolls? Just ignore them.
I think MARZIPAN is actually serious. :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Feb 17, 2007
6412 posts
2624 upvotes
Mort Réal, QC
oIIIIIo wrote: I think MARZIPAN is actually serious. :facepalm:
Either way, he's a repeat offender. No point trying to reason with..
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
smitty9999 wrote: Right of Way vs Right of Weight.
The latter always trumps the former. The truckers know it.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2641 posts
797 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Marzipan wrote: In the passage from the link we are told nine times "you must yield" the right of way. Once it says the other guy has the right-of-way. Never once are we told we have the right-of-way ... because that is something motor vehicles cannot promise us.

Here are the passages from the handbook. Note from the outset the title is Yielding the right-of-way not Having the right-of-way
To yield the right of way, you must have it to begin with. Jesus christ, the yukon trying to teach a city of 7million how to drive, maybe you should quote the section on merging.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2007
4831 posts
361 upvotes
nabiul wrote: To yield the right of way, you must have it to begin with. Jesus christ, the yukon trying to teach a city of 7million how to drive, maybe you should quote the section on merging.
Well I didn't follow all his posts but I think he's talking about cases where a sign is not present
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2007
2732 posts
3018 upvotes
Ottawa
too much text.. not enough videos.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Marzipan wrote: From these 1300+ pages I see the dominance of the "macho male" who does a lot of criticizing of other road users and thinks he is a good driver. Typically he is a right-of-way driver who believes that he has the right of way and so can barrel ahead.

You do not have the right-of-way until others have yielded it to you.

The reality is there are jay walkers in commercial districts. Drive accordingly.

I understand that in southern Ontario drivers are aggressive, generally don't want to share the road and are inconsiderate of others. I understand they cause a lot of collisions (which they euphemistically refer to as "accidents") and that they have caused extremely high insurance costs.

No thanks, I don't want to return. Please don't come here. It is cold and dirt roads will scratch your precious toys.
lol your post is lawlarious. please stop posting unless you're going to put a video.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2011
3952 posts
2856 upvotes
Toronto
---------
Last edited by drz400 on Jul 25th, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
------------------------------------
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22438 posts
3065 upvotes
CoolDudeClan wrote: You are a f***ing terrible driver. Stop cutting people off. Seriously, just awful.

What car do you drive so I can stay 1000ft back when I'm in Waterloo?
What you drive!?

TOYOTA COROLLA!?

BAHAHAHA
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
3204 posts
1094 upvotes
Whitehorse, YT
daivey wrote: lol your post is lawlarious. please stop posting unless you're going to put a video.
I think I've disturbed some macho males who believe they are good "right-of-way" drivers.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4050 upvotes
Toronto
Marzipan wrote: I think I've disturbed some macho males who believe they are good "right-of-way" drivers.
i dont think you know how to drive. i also don't see any videos.

when a pedestrian comes out from between two trucks, into a street that has a speed of 50km/.h from THERE IS NO YIELD THE RIGHT OF WAY you clown.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2930 posts
621 upvotes
Ajax
george__ wrote: I freaken hate truck drivers...Over the ego wack jobs, usually fat or bulked like they're juicing

I can tell by your video clips that pretty much you are a total ahole driver. I would love to come upon you while driving. As for the undercover radar cop. Big friggen deal if you admit you were speeding and got away with it. He or she was probably occupied.Also I can see you must be fascinated by emergency vehicles like a little kid.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1104 posts
352 upvotes
Wasn't george_ the guy that was asking for advice because he rear ended a truck a while back?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)