Locked: [Merged] Quality journalism from CBC news - Sunshine List

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 1st, 2018 9:33 pm
86 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14225 posts
1113 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: As a white male I feel like this article casts my people in a negative light.
Why?
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18182 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
Dpack22 wrote: Sunshine List so white: Minorities almost invisible among Ontario's best-paid public servants

As a white male I feel like this article casts my people in a negative light.
Why? It's no secret that pay goes down and skills required go way up the less white a job is. Just look at how little paramedics get paid compared to cops or firefighters, for instance. The requirements to be a cop shot through the roof so they could keep people out when they started hiring non-whites, to the point where you need degrees, multiple languages, etc instead of "I just showed up and said I wanted to be a cop" like the old days. The fire department has also managed to stay almost entirely white in a minority-majority city and they're pretty much all on the sunshine list since their base pay is over $97,000.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2662 posts
1296 upvotes
@Dpack22 Agreed.

@Ojam nice try there buddy. People should be hired based on merit and not on some decrepit racist/sexist agenda that requires a set number of minorities. Pointing out that there's too many white men on the Sunshine List is just plain inappropriate.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18182 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: @Dpack22 Agreed.

@Ojam nice try there buddy. People should be hired based on merit and not on some decrepit racist/sexist agenda that requires a set number of minorities. Pointing out that there's too many white men on the Sunshine List is just plain inappropriate.
So you're not upset that people aren't being hired on merit and are instead being hired on an agenda that requires a set number of whites? How is it inappropriate to report on this problem?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2662 posts
1296 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: So you're not upset that people aren't being hired on merit and are instead being hired on an agenda that requires a set number of whites? How is it inappropriate to report on this problem?
Well, no. There is no agenda that I know of requiring a set number of whites to be hired. People apply, and if their qualifications (and personality) are up to par, they get hired. Imagine being unable to hire a good prospect, because you have to hire a minority person who (a) lacks the skills and (b) will not be a team player. I'm sure that will go just fine. /sarcasm.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
18182 posts
3178 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Well, no. There is no agenda that I know of requiring a set number of whites to be hired. People apply, and if their qualifications (and personality) are up to par, they get hired. Imagine being unable to hire a good prospect, because you have to hire a minority person who (a) lacks the skills and (b) will not be a team player. I'm sure that will go just fine. /sarcasm.
So explain the disparity between the population and the government then. Less than half of Toronto is white, yet almost the entire public sector is. The private sector shows that there are no lack of qualified candidates with the right personalities to succeed, so the logical conclusion to draw from this lack of representation proportional to population demographics is that the government is deliberately not hiring the most qualified people and prefers instead to hire based on skin colour. The articles from former firefighters and such outlining the overt racism among their workplaces don't help things.
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2662 posts
1296 upvotes
Piro21 wrote: So explain the disparity between the population and the government then. Less than half of Toronto is white, yet almost the entire public sector is. The private sector shows that there are no lack of qualified candidates with the right personalities to succeed, so the logical conclusion to draw from this lack of representation proportional to population demographics is that the government is deliberately not hiring the most qualified people and prefers instead to hire based on skin colour. The articles from former firefighters and such outlining the overt racism among their workplaces don't help things.
Yes, I think you may well be right. But what is the cause of this? People's passive-aggressiveness in refusing to hire minority quotas, or identity politics? Put differently, what came first, the egg or the chicken?
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2610 posts
293 upvotes
I think the solution to this is to lay off half of the public sector and don't hire anyone to fill those roles (only the white people though). Kills two birds with one stone; you punish whites for being white, and you help fix the crippling financial problems that Ontario is facing.

Win-win!
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2888 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: Yes, I think you may well be right. But what is the cause of this? People's passive-aggressiveness in refusing to hire minority quotas, or identity politics? Put differently, what came first, the egg or the chicken?
Historically, the biggest factor was lack of access to education for minorities. Canadian universities were predominantly white until the 80's. The Sunshine list includes many people at the end of their careers. This explains why the list is so white, as well as the measures that are being taken to make it less white (now that university education has been more racially diverse for decades).
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2009
2888 posts
1201 upvotes
Toronto
LeisureSuitL wrote: I think the solution to this is to lay off half of the public sector and don't hire anyone to fill those roles (only the white people though). Kills two birds with one stone; you punish whites for being white, and you help fix the crippling financial problems that Ontario is facing.

Win-win!
Frankly, I'd love it if entire Ministries were dissolved (get rid of the baby boomer + gen x dead weight), and have new modern Ministries designed (with a focus on the future).
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
2610 posts
293 upvotes
shikotee wrote: Frankly, I'd love it if entire Ministries were dissolved (get rid of the baby boomer + gen x dead weight), and have new modern Ministries designed (with a focus on the future).
That sounds gross. I don't want more public bloat just to cater to granola crunching hippies living off their parents' wealth.

Plus, all public sector workers are dead weight, not just boomers and Xers. Y and Millenials are dead weight too; that's the whole point, the only people who ever work in the public sector are dead weight and could never function in a real job, that's why they get a job in the government. Gravy train, relaxed lifestyle, 9-4 and out the door, 3% annual raise for no performance and lifetime pension for a decade or two sucking wind at the expense of productive Canadians.

I'll politely decline "Modern Ministries" aka, more nonsense and garbage than there already is.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
9808 posts
6239 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
OP, that's why it's called White Privilege.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Guru
Oct 14, 2003
14225 posts
1113 upvotes
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote: @Ojam nice try there buddy. People should be hired based on merit and not on some decrepit racist/sexist agenda that requires a set number of minorities. Pointing out that there's too many white men on the Sunshine List is just plain inappropriate.
So explain how that as the op said...
casts my people in a negative light.
Science
is the new
rock 'n'
roll.