Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Apr 17, 2011
1 posts
markham
hello everyone...i have found this thread extremely insightful. i was actually wondering if anyone has any experience/information about the York Montessori Private School located in the Box Grove/14th Ave area. Any comments/feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Deal Addict
May 31, 2009
2623 posts
160 upvotes
How much does Montessori cost and for which grades?

I see annual rates varying from $4600 to $12000 a year. Is the $12000 a year for Preschool, then it gradually goes down every year after?

Can't find any specifics on fees per grade online.
Aug 7, 2010
16 posts
Toronto
$4600. probably half day

10 K and upwards full day for Casa (ages 3-6); Elementary (ages 6-9), (ages 9-12); slightly higher as each block of age increases

Costs varies according to school, facilities, program(s), hot lunch and availability.
Aug 15, 2003
889 posts
160 upvotes
biggie wrote:
Apr 16th, 2011 11:21 pm
Hi all,

ChildVentures - located in the Costco plaza
-This was our first location that we visited since we are closest to it. Very impressed with the facilities, the biometric hand print to get into the school, the onsite kitchen and chef, dedicated music, computer and gym. They even have their own outdoor playard on the 2nd floor so there's no risk of getting lost/kidnapped.
-Major drawback is that it's almost $1800 a month.
-unsure about their use of: Baby Signs, High Scope, Montessori and Core Knowledge educational techniques
-unsure if they are actually montessori accredited
I wasn't too impressed with ChildVentures. It "looks" great on the outside, very new, very clean, etc...but I'm just not sure it's worth the money. The teachers didn't seem too enthusiastic.

I'm also looking into infant spots for when I have to return to work, and unfortunately there are very few available anywhere. I'm likely sending my daughter to Reggio Kids, I like it, reasonable price, kids seem engaged and happy, staff seem nice and loving.
Oct 9, 2007
4 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
My son went to Casa @ RCMS for a year and a half.

The place is a complete mickey mouse operation. EVERYTHING is disorganized, from the field trips to the end of year concert to the parking lot. If your saving a few thousand dollars a year, it's better then day care. But they charge the same amount as the better Montessori and thus not worth it.

I also heard they pay very little and thus don't have the best quality staff and allot of turnover (We had a new teach each year he was there). Switched my son to UMS (Unionville Montesoori School), after sending him there for there summer camp. A thousand times better and more organized, quality of staff and overall expierence is excellent. BUT, the teacher/student ration is high for what you're paying for.

If I lived a bit closer to TMS I would send me son there instead, but will probably wait until he's a bit older.

NO Montessori school can really compare to TMS
Apr 5, 2004
369 posts
96 upvotes
Why do you think TMS is the best?
VictorStorm wrote:
Apr 25th, 2011 3:29 pm
My son went to Casa @ RCMS for a year and a half.

The place is a complete mickey mouse operation. EVERYTHING is disorganized, from the field trips to the end of year concert to the parking lot. If your saving a few thousand dollars a year, it's better then day care. But they charge the same amount as the better Montessori and thus not worth it.

I also heard they pay very little and thus don't have the best quality staff and allot of turnover (We had a new teach each year he was there). Switched my son to UMS (Unionville Montesoori School), after sending him there for there summer camp. A thousand times better and more organized, quality of staff and overall expierence is excellent. BUT, the teacher/student ration is high for what you're paying for.

If I lived a bit closer to TMS I would send me son there instead, but will probably wait until he's a bit older.

NO Montessori school can really compare to TMS
Aug 15, 2003
889 posts
160 upvotes
Just wanted to bump this thread and wondering if anyone had any comments on ElginView Montessori. They're not CCMA accredited.
May 16, 2011
7 posts
THORNHILL
bellybuttonbook wrote:
Mar 8th, 2011 11:17 pm
I have a friend who sent their daughter to childventures learning academy. Their comments were:
- great school
- caring loving teachers
- accountability (webcam internet viewing of classroom) so they are able to see their child while at work. She wants to know if she is napping, or have eaten well during the day. If your child cannot communicate well with you yet, isn't it great to see for yourself? Not many schools offer this transparancy. (the question to you is really, do you want other parents to be able to see your child too?)

But yes, the program is very expensive, almost double any other daycare/preschoo/private school in the area, but my friend enrolled her daughter there because of the piece of mind she can have while at work.
I was lured into ChildVenture at Elgin and Woodbine due to their attractive facility, high tech. security and webcam option but it was the worst decision I had made ever. My child was in the infant program and ironically, thanks to the webcam, after her third day there, I had noticed that the caregivers just sat around and chitchatted while the kids were wobbling around. They even locked my child to the infant bouncer for a total of 1.5 hrs crying and kicking without any attention or care. They mentioned that she is a fussy child that day. After speaking to them, they had did the same thing the day after and placed the bouncer below the webcam hoping I won't see but thank goodness for me, I was able to see the kicking of her shoes. I took her out of there ASAP. Lesson learned, now I'm really careful in selecting the right place for my child with priority on the teachers/caregivers. They are the ones caring for the child not the facility.
Nov 12, 2003
7 posts
1 upvote
My son had been enrolled to a Montessori school for the past year. However, he had a hard time to cope with the Montessori style. We will have to move him out to other preschools.

Has anyone have any idea on "Reggio Kids" and "Busy Bee Preschool"?

Thanks!
May 16, 2011
7 posts
THORNHILL
limron wrote:
Mar 7th, 2011 11:24 pm
I'm looking for a Montessori school that has a toddler program for kids 18 months and up. I live near Markham Rd/14th Avenue. The ones I'm starting to read about are York Montessori, Kennedy Mont., Trillium (heard they lost their Montessori status?), Yip Music & Mont., and Mindtech on Ninth Line. I'd like to stay close to 14th Avenue as much as possible just in case I need to take the bus to pick up the kids some days. Anyone has any experience or input on these schools or suggestions on other ones? We're looking for a school for our twins for later this year. Thanks.

My daughter of 25 months is attending Yip's Music & Mont since she was 18mons (14th and Warden location). The best teachers any parent can ask for their young toddlers. They are very caring and have so much experience that I also learn from them (a first child mom). Their facility is not as spic and span as the others I've seen. But to me, great teachers are priority.
May 16, 2011
7 posts
THORNHILL
Does anyone have any feedback on the following schools in Markham?
Peoples Christian Academy (now in North York and relocating to Markham Buttonville)
Sidney Ledson Institute (in Markham)
Thanks
May 16, 2011
3 posts
Markham
Yours wrote:
Apr 2nd, 2009 2:06 pm
After all the visits, researches and talking to parents. I decided to put my 3 years old at Wishing Well Montessori School in Jan 2009. My daugther birthday is in January.

I had a visit to the following schools and here is what I find...

TMS-They take student only in September. So put my 32 months daugther in Toddler program. Since my daugther attend DayCare, I think it's not worth to pay the pricy tutition for toddler program.

MindTech-okay but small

Unionville MS-called for tour but the lady there said I have to put a name on wait list first until there is availablity then I can tour the school?!

Central MS-okay

Royal Cachet MS-heard some teacher is from TMS. However, I have the same Ms.Cathy issue. All she wants to deposit for waiting list. Plus, my daugther will be put in the class located basement.

Wishing Well MS-My daugther is there now for 3 months. Love the teachers and environment. All teachers in class is Montessori Teacher. Unlike some school having 1 montessori teacher and 1 assistant. Reasonable price. Promote high academic standings,self-confidence(which I see you do). After school activity/Extra-Curricular Starts like ballet, music etc. They started Toddler Program Fall 2008, which I will put my younger son there this coming Fall 2009.

Just wondering how your kid is doing at wishing well montessori in markham. I'm planning to enroll my kids at wishing well in Jan 2012 into toddler & CASA program. They will be 2 & 3.5yrs by Jan. Any comments will be helpful to me in making a decision. Thanks!
Dec 13, 2007
10 posts
Markham
After reading a few posts about this school I am now re-considering my choice in schools. I was *this close* to signing up my 3 year old daughter for their summer camp and regular program for the fall, but now....hmmmm...I would like to hear more feedback about this school though, so keep them coming. Does anyone on this board have a child actively enrolled there?
Dec 13, 2007
10 posts
Markham
suipor wrote:
May 17th, 2011 12:00 pm
My son had been enrolled to a Montessori school for the past year. However, he had a hard time to cope with the Montessori style. We will have to move him out to other preschools.

Has anyone have any idea on "Reggio Kids" and "Busy Bee Preschool"?

Thanks!

I don't have first-hand experience with Reggio Kids, but some good friends put their 3 yr old son there and he loves it. Doesn't even want to leave at the end of the day. Prior to that he was at Bright Horizons and they said he always seemed sad and disengaged there.
Apr 5, 2004
369 posts
96 upvotes
Reggio Kids is pretty much like a daycare not a school. The "classroom" is not very organized. Kids don't learn much.
YiYi wrote:
Jun 1st, 2011 3:09 pm
I don't have first-hand experience with Reggio Kids, but some good friends put their 3 yr old son there and he loves it. Doesn't even want to leave at the end of the day. Prior to that he was at Bright Horizons and they said he always seemed sad and disengaged there.