Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Aug 21, 2005
334 posts
Toronto
ellessea wrote:
Jul 28th, 2009 12:23 pm
I have been a Montessori Teacher in the Markham area for 10 years. I have a University degree -some teachers don't. Some schools hire ECEs as assistants, some don't. If these things are important to you, ask for specifics before you register your child.

Before you pick a school for your child, make sure you talk to parents who have children at the school. "Word of Mouth" is the best form of advertising. Of course, you'll come across differing opinions but it will give you a better sense of what to expect.

Just because a school is part of CCMA does not mean that they are a good school. It just means that they are paying CCMA to be a recognized school on their list.

Be sure to compare a few schools so you can make a more informed decision.

I hope this helps!
Since you have been in the industry and in Markham, would you mind sharing some behind the scenes insight as to which Montessori schools you recommend and which ones you don't
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2001
1356 posts
46 upvotes
I just enrolled my 3yr old at RHMS for this Sept. I will definitely be posting my opinions here.

Schools that I looked at:

TMS - prestigious, but very pricey. $3K sign up fee.

Royal Cachet - Still a bit new and some bad parent reviews.

Century - Friendly atmosphere for the kids, but was too far for us.
Jul 27, 2009
8 posts
2 upvotes
shmoo2 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2009 2:28 pm
Since you have been in the industry and in Markham, would you mind sharing some behind the scenes insight as to which Montessori schools you recommend and which ones you don't
I haven't worked at all the schools in Markham so I wouldn't be able to give a fair say about which ones I do/don't recommend.

Also, I can't say which schools I recommend because everyone has differing opinions about what is important for their child.

Just be on the lookout for principals who run their school like a business (they are always looking out for the bottom line and cutting corners) vs. principals who actually invest in their school for the children and hire qualified teachers and assistants.
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2001
1356 posts
46 upvotes
Here's my update. RHMS is so far a very good school. The preschool teachers are great and very caring from what I can see. I was also worried about the "business first" type mentality, but they honestly do seem to care about your kids first. The vice principal who looks like a movie star might make you think it's all about the money, but he's really nice and so is the principal.

They are very strict about their food policy. Good and bad I guess.

The preschoolers are presented with routines and discipline. Social interaction is important too. I guess that is the foundation of Montessori.

I am more than happy in having enrolled my child in this school.

I will update again mid year....
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2001
1356 posts
46 upvotes
birarai wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2009 2:10 pm
My child was at the school for 1 year. The school did everything wrong under sun. Under the Consumer Protection Act, a lawsuit was filed against the school. The school failed to provide adequate services as one would expect from a educational institution. The judge heard both sides and ruled against Royal Cachet Montessori, the school was forced to refund $9,000 in tuition.
Can you share some of the details of how they "failed to provide adequate services"?
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
29668 posts
1147 upvotes
Fernando Po
In our personal experience, Montessori is highly over-rated and don't follow their own stated philosophy. Years ago we had our son in a Montessori school in Victoria, and he was tossed out for not behaving. They actually had us come in and watch him from behind a two way mirror so we'd "catch him in the act". He didn't do anything, even when the instructor was trying to get him to misbehave. He went onto a municipally run pre-school where he did well. Then to public school where's he's done very well ( "A" student) and will be going into a public high school next year. I believe in school choice, and here, the public option is working fine.
Aug 7, 2008
25 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
xla4life wrote:
Nov 2nd, 2009 2:35 pm
Can you share some of the details of how they "failed to provide adequate services"?
Yes, would like to know more about this.
Aug 7, 2008
25 posts
8 upvotes
Markham
abc120 wrote:
Apr 8th, 2009 1:27 pm
My child is at RCMS starting July last year and here's my thought about the school:

Overall the premise is still considered as new so at least it's clean for a toddler to be in. However, the admin staff primarily Ms. Grace and/or the principal Ms. Cathy is totally unorganized. Not only their newsletter have so many grammatical mistake, but also, the structure of the letter is so confusing since they combined the Casa and toddler program into one letter and without defining which topic they're in you just don't know what you are reading. I re-read their newsletter N times and then finally went to one of their parent's observation night and realized that they meant only the casa class and not for the toddler class that my son is in. Also, I don't know how the Office communicate with the teacher normally as I often found that I need to tell both the Office AND the teacher when my child will be absent from school.

Also, they charge you extra $$ when they have pizza day offer monthly. Since we paid extra for their meal plan, one would think that pizza will be part of the meal package since they won't be serving anything else that day?! The cost is not material but I just found it's a bit rip-off.

My child just bumps up from the toddler program to their casa program in April. However they don't allow him to be part of the casa field trip because he's too young and need to stay in his new classroom along with 2 other kids. If they're too young to be in the casa program why would they want to change the kids so early to a new environment (just because they want to accept more toddler to their toddler program)? I just feel bad for my child as well as the 2 others that need to stay behind.

So in summary the school is ok because the premise is still new and it "looks clean" and that's one of the only reason that I put him in that school. However, be prepare that their unorganized structure will make you mad at times.

Having said that I have registered my son to Richmond Hill montesorri this coming September since he'll be 3 by then. :lol:

I too am planning on taking my son out of RCMS and the end of this Summer... school hunting again!

Does anyone have any experiences with Mastermind Montessori (Woodbine/Major Mackenzie) which just opened last Summer?
Aug 21, 2005
334 posts
Toronto
thephonejunkie wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 12:08 pm
Yes, would like to know more about this.
me too??

i was going to send my son there when it first opened - didn't get that warm and fuzzy feelin'
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
248 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Just and update.

I am very happy to registered my son at WWMS Pre-Casa Program (20 months old at that time). He is there 3 full days/week. From Sept until now, my son definitely learn a lot. Self feeding during lunch after 2 weeks and fully toilet trained right before 2 years old. I have nothing to compliant at all. He will be continues to Casa this year September (32 months old).

My daugther is at WWMS 2 years Casa. After the parent meeting in past December, my husband almost decided to have my daugther continue at WWMS for Grade 1. My daughter is 4 years old. She can write all sounds and teacher say will try her on reading book next month. She came home yesterday and tells my all about the earthquake at Haiti too.
Jan 21, 2010
4 posts
Markham
thephonejunkie wrote:
Jan 20th, 2010 12:10 pm
I too am planning on taking my son out of RCMS and the end of this Summer... school hunting again!

Does anyone have any experiences with Mastermind Montessori (Woodbine/Major Mackenzie) which just opened last Summer?
Why are you going to take your son out of RCMS? Did he have any bad experience? I am considering to put my son to RCMS for grade 1. I ususally hear the comments about the preschool. Does anyone have any experience about elementary program at RCMS?
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
248 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Sandra Siu wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2010 7:34 pm
Why are you going to take your son out of RCMS? Did he have any bad experience? I am considering to put my son to RCMS for grade 1. I ususally hear the comments about the preschool. Does anyone have any experience about elementary program at RCMS?
I think RCMS is Royal Cachet Montessori School. Not Richmond Hill MS
Mar 8, 2005
265 posts
5 upvotes
How extensive is the french in the montessori programs here. I am originally from Ottawa and was also enrolled in Montessori there. I found the French program quite extensive and I'm not sure if this is related to the Montessori program or the proximity to Quebec and the largely bilingual population in Ottawa. I'd like my daughter to be bilingual, so do 'regular' montessori program have extensive french program or can that only be achieved by enrolling into Toronto French Montessori?

Thanks
Jan 21, 2010
4 posts
Markham
Yours wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2010 3:18 pm
I think RCMS is Royal Cachet Montessori School. Not Richmond Hill MS
Oh, I meant RHMS(Richmon Hill Montessori & Elementary Private School). Did you think about this one.
Jan 10, 2008
999 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
RHMS is located on Weldrick? How is the review for this school?

I've also thought about the one at Bayview and Hwy7 but it's right under those high-voltage power lines... I personally don't feel comfortable having a developing kid exposed to that hours per day, for many years.