Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Jan 21, 2010
4 posts
Markham
xla4life wrote:
Sep 25th, 2009 2:42 pm
Here's my update. RHMS is so far a very good school. The preschool teachers are great and very caring from what I can see. I was also worried about the "business first" type mentality, but they honestly do seem to care about your kids first. The vice principal who looks like a movie star might make you think it's all about the money, but he's really nice and so is the principal.

They are very strict about their food policy. Good and bad I guess.

The preschoolers are presented with routines and discipline. Social interaction is important too. I guess that is the foundation of Montessori.

I am more than happy in having enrolled my child in this school.

I will update again mid year....

How is your child at RHMS so far? Do you still have the good impression? Do you know RHMS also provide a good elementary program? Did you hear any feeback from other parents about this? Thanks.
Jan 21, 2010
4 posts
Markham
MoreMiles wrote:
Jan 31st, 2010 3:08 pm
RHMS is located on Weldrick? How is the review for this school?

I've also thought about the one at Bayview and Hwy7 but it's right under those high-voltage power lines... I personally don't feel comfortable having a developing kid exposed to that hours per day, for many years.

RHMS is located on Weldrick. The building is new and big. Interview with the vice principal was ok. Sometimes I am confused if it is the right choice to looking around a montessori school for my son. Some people say public school has a better system than private school.
Feb 20, 2010
1 posts
Markham
My daughter goes to UMS at the corner of Kennedy and 16th ave. Its a Phenominial School. Majority of the Casa Teachers are great (Ms. Espinosas and Mrs Watters classes are the best) In the Elementary School dispite one or two teachers they are fantasic! All the teachers care so much about the kids :) The Owners are GREAT. Even though it realistically is a business they are running that is not the most important thing to them. The school, students, teachers and acedemics are number one to them. To answer a previous question regarding French. UMS has a superb French Program. The 7 and 8's are going to France this year and UMS has a great and FUN French enrichment Program. I believe that they are the best Private School in Markham. Their tuision fees are very resonable as well. If your thinking for a new school next year, check UMS out for sure!

As for RHM i think they are good too. RCMS Horrrrrrrrible school. DOnt really wanna get into how i know, cause its a long story. but it just is a bad school. I would much rather go Public before i PAY for my child to go to RCMS.
Mastermind Montessori is too new havent hea much about them BUT I bad point is that they are too expensive for the facilities and education they provide.
Hope this info helps anyone inquiring.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2006
1394 posts
241 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone have any comments on York MS?
For Pre-school Programs (any MS), could anyone provide me with an idea of how much the tuition is?
Jan 6, 2007
40 posts
Richmond Hill
I haven't been to York Montessori myself however I've heard some good things from some parents, those that switch from Royal Cachet to there.

Just to update on RHMS pre-school, my son have moved from Royal Cachet to RHMS since September last year when he reach 3 and man I'm totally impress with his new school, not only their new campus actually "look like" a school but the pre-school teachers and admin staffs are much more professional, organized, and caring. They have very strict food restriction so I normally order my son's lunch through the Lunch Lady program. They have newsletter monthly telling the parents what they'll be learning that month such as naming the 7 continents, 9 planets, all provinces of Canada, and news such as what happened in Haiti and special events like Olympics.

Every Montessori & private schools are business to me but in this case at least I’ve got what I’ve paid for and won’t feel rip off when the school is not providing good service to my child like the old days.
Apr 2, 2008
48 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Does anyone have any comments on Town Centre Montessori or Trillium Montessori? Greatly appreciated!!
Mar 24, 2010
20 posts
RH
shopaddict07 wrote:
Feb 21st, 2010 12:56 am
Mastermind Montessori is too new havent hea much about them BUT I bad point is that they are too expensive for the facilities and education they provide.
Hope this info helps anyone inquiring.

I have a child at Matermind. It's true that it is a new school, but that school has great staff, very good team of people. The principle has many years of teaching experience, very honest and capable person. i wouldn't agree that price is too high for the facility and education provided. Level of education provided is as good any other montessori school, and facility is very new, bright, very well mantained, it's not a basement like some other small montessori schools around. Even RHMS operated many years out of the basement in that house on 16th avenue.
Apr 10, 2010
1 posts
1 upvote
Markham
I have noticed alot of people questioning whether a Montessori education is really that much better than a public school education. As a young adult who has attended Montessori schools and now works for one, I would just like to share my opinion.

I truly believe that if you choose the right Montessori school for your child you will be giving them the best possible start to their educational career.I attended a Montessori that was located on Kennedy (I don't remember the name or if they are still there), and I also attended Richmond Hill Montessori and Elementary Private School (when it was still located on 16th Ave.) from grades 1 through 3. Grade 4 was when I started attending public school.

The difference in the education systems became very apparent to me when I started in the public system, and realised that my classmates were working at a level I had surpassed at least 1 year before. I had completed the mathematics textbook they were working on 2 years prior. I was not allowed to handwrite as none of my classmates were able to, even though I had learned to handwrite by the age of 5. The general literacy level of the school was appalling to me even at that young age. I didn't understand why most of my friends older siblings couldn't read things that seemed to simple to me. Furthermore, Montessori schools instill in their students the value of respect for your fellow peers as well as authority figures that I find is seriously lacking in the public system.

I could go on for days about the benefits of a true Montessori education. I have experienced these benefits first hand in my daily life and I firmly believe that if you pick the right school for your child it will be the best start to their educational career that you could possibly give them.
Deal Addict
Apr 4, 2004
3888 posts
245 upvotes
Toronto
Alyssa647 wrote:
Apr 11th, 2010 11:49 pm
I have noticed alot of people questioning whether a Montessori education is really that much better than a public school education. As a young adult who has attended Montessori schools and now works for one, I would just like to share my opinion.
Thanks for your insight and honesty. You're biased, but at least you're not pretending that you're not.

We're thinking of sending our little one to a Montessori school, but aren't really sold on the Montessori aspect. I honestly believe that it's not the school that dictates your child's educational career, but the involvement of his/her parents and the environment they find themselves in. I don't think the education is much better, but rather the opportunities are.

This is just my opinion (not based on facts that I measured), but I think parents who send their kids to private schools, Montessori or others, for the majority take a greater interest in their kid's education and are likely more involved. The children are also surrounded by peers/friends who come from like-minded parents and will therefore have similar values/ethics, at least towards school. Children will have a greater chance of growing up with well-rounded kids who come from good families. There will of course be exceptions to this.

The same can be achieved in a public school, but will be more difficult. There are several outstanding parents who will send their kids to public schools. Unfortunately, there will also likely be more parents who don't care as much about their child's education in a public system. If your child gets caught up in a crowd of peers/friends who stem from this mentality of not caring about education, he/she may be influenced into the same, despite your best efforts. You hope that your child will be the one that is influencing the others, but you're taking a chance.

I admit I'm making huge generalizations. I came from a public school education system and my wife came from a private school system. I was fortunate enough to get caught up in the right crowd of over-achievers. My brother was not.
Jun 17, 2007
163 posts
3 upvotes
I am sure this won't make too much of a difference...only because this post is referring to schools north of the GTA.

I own a Montessori school that is located inside a church. We are in no way affiliated with the church, just rent the space from them. We run a licenced program and though we may not LOOK like a school, the quality of education we offer is no different really. Our children wear uniforms, use Montessori materials, have field trips, have French and Spanish lessons, after school clubs, caring and friendly teachers (2 out of 4 are qualified Montessori teachers, no university degrees but really, does that help your child learn more or better?!?)...the things we don't have...a big gym, a pool, trips to foreign countries, high fees, greedy admin, rude staff...

You as a parent have to make that choice. What's more important to you? Our fees range from $300 all the way to almost $1000 a month based on how old your child is (CASA or TODDLER), schedule (2, 3 or 5 days), half or full day, catering, before and after school care...

I don't think its fair (biased opinion maybe) that a school should only be judged based on the building. Get a feel for the staff, the general mood of the children in the classroom...do they look happy? Are they cringing when a teacher approaches them? Is management willing to let you observe children in action? No two way mirrors, no specific times, no prior appointments...

UMS from what I understand does NOT allow a parent to observe children. Same with another large Montessori school that runs a number of locations east of GTA...question how many staff are with your children. Lower fees do not mean anything...neither do higher fees. A school that charges you significantly less probably can afford to do that as they have more children and lesser staff (no ratios to adhere to). So they have more room to play with when it comes to fees. By the same token, higher fees does not mean quality...

My $0.02 cents. Feel free to ask me questions...anything I can help with, let me know...PM me
Nov 26, 2006
74 posts
2 upvotes
My general comment based on experience. I think that in the early preschool years even up to Grade 1, I find the Montessori/ Private schools is a great benefit and if a parent can afford it, they should do. The public system does not teach kids much in JK/SK. By being in private school for those beginning years seems to give kids a little edge and the self confidence when they move back into the public system as they'll be ahead on the curriculum. However, I think staying in a private system too long leaves the kids a bit "sheltered" and a bit out of touch with the real world.
[OP]
Sep 24, 2006
248 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
kamanda wrote:
Apr 15th, 2010 11:10 pm
my general comment based on experience. I think that in the early preschool years even up to grade 1, i find the montessori/ private schools is a great benefit and if a parent can afford it, they should do. The public system does not teach kids much in jk/sk. By being in private school for those beginning years seems to give kids a little edge and the self confidence when they move back into the public system as they'll be ahead on the curriculum. However, i think staying in a private system too long leaves the kids a bit "sheltered" and a bit out of touch with the real world.

+1
Apr 18, 2010
6 posts
toronto
Does anyone know if there are records from the Ministry of Education about Montessori school complaints? I am looking for school for my 2 years old. We are focusing on the daily routine, facilities (clean/safe), meal plan, tuition, location, and if they assist on toilet training. Is there anything else that we should focus on?

I saw not so good reviews, especially the law suit case against Royal Cachet from this forum. I talked to some parents who have kids in this school and they seem to be happy about it. How about Trinity Montessori (Woodbine/16th)? Any one has more thoughts?
Apr 21, 2010
1 posts
Markham
I currently have my toddler enrolled in RCMS. Overall, I like the school and my daughter seems to enjoy it as well. The teachers seem nice, friendly and nurturing to the children. The school is clean, which was a plus for me since other schools seem old and dirty (ex. MindTech Montessori on 9th line). I must admit the school administration is very unorganized which often frustrate me at times. I have been reading all these bad reviews and it's making me doubt my choice and causing concern, especially since I have my daughter in the school. Are there any postive reviews that anyone can share of RCMS or any schools that others highly recommend in the Markham area?
Apr 25, 2010
4 posts
Markham
Can someone advise about any of the Mindtech Montessori locations? I came across the following link in Cornell Bulletin Board and was quite concerned as I was considering them due to proximity. Does anyone have their kids going there? any positive or negative remarks?
This is the link I was talking about:

http://www.cornellvillage.ca/cgi-bin/ya ... 1132428744

I am also interested in find out how one can get in touch with the Ministry of youth and Education to find out about any complains that maybe registered against a school.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)