Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15962 posts
1855 upvotes
BobetteK wrote:
Nov 24th, 2015 8:33 pm
Our daughter came home with content and stories that no parent wishes to hear. (Eg. the yelling, verbal and emotional child abuse) I am extremely disappointed by the violation of our trust to YMS and I feel all the parents need to hear about this from our experience. We are emotionally damaged by the school's wrongful actions and poor conduct. We have lost our investment, time and money through this traumatizing learning process before uncovering this nightmare. We hope to share this with other new and existing parents so it doesn't happen to their innocent children.
Wow, we thought the Principal was a bit over controlling, but didn't realize that it was that bad. Do you have more details about happened to your child?
Jan 27, 2016
1 posts
Richmond Hill, ON
Child is entering Grade 1 coming September. Our choices now are a French Immersion Public Catholic school or Toronto Montessori School at Bayview and Hwy 7.

Any opinions on TMS? It comes with a hefty price but seems like Montessori is a good system. Anyone knows if teachers at TMS are good in general? Is Montessori academically more advanced than Public School?

Would English be compromised for a child that goes through French Immersion? Does French immersion provide enough academic challenge besides the language aspect?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15962 posts
1855 upvotes
DimitriEdmund wrote:
Jan 28th, 2016 11:37 pm
Would English be compromised for a child that goes through French Immersion? Does French immersion provide enough academic challenge besides the language aspect?
In the end, we opted for regular public school since the elementary and high school in are area is very well ranked.

As for private school, personally I don't think there is an ROI for it - you're spending $25K per year x 12 years which is over $300,000. Considering how good the schools are in the York Region area, the benefits of private school are minimal to non-existent. You're better off saving the money to pay for tuition at a US school or just give $300,000+ as a graduation gift.

Also, I don't think private school gives you an inherent advantage to getting into a renowned school - if the child is bright, he/she will probably be just as likely to get into an Ivy League school with an education from a good public school or private school.
Sep 18, 2008
334 posts
58 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
does any one has recommendation for downtown? My little girl is 3.5.
Nov 3, 2013
6 posts
4 upvotes
I had to pull my daughter from Sunrise Montessori School, because the principal and the teacher do not take bullying seriously. My 4 year old daughter has been harassed by a boy in her class for 4 months with unwanted touching and kissing, which the teacher was aware of. Yesterday the boy decided without any provocation to stab my daughter in the eye with a pencil. All the school decided to do for prevention for future attacks was to make him sit by himself at a desk while he had a pencil. I talked to the principle and the teacher and asked the boy to be moved to a different class, as I no longer feel it's safe for her to be in the same class with him. But the principal said since it's his first offense, they cannot move him to another class. They have to wait for 3 offense, so basically she's saying that my daughter needed to get stabbed 2 more times and potentially be blinded before they will do anything. All the other harassments from before which at the time the teacher felt it was serious enough to talk to his parents about, now she claims he is just an affectionate boy. They made it sound like I'm blowing this out of proportion. My kid got stabbed in her eye with a sharp pencil, all I want is to have the boy who did it to go to a different class. I don't think that's asking too much. By the way, they said this does not classify as bullying.
Feb 12, 2016
2 posts
Any recent reviews about Richmond Hill Montessori? Saw many good reviews on the thread from a few years ago. Considering to enroll my son this year, but they don't let him visit the classes to try it out. I feel a little uneasy about it.

Another school we visited is Richland Academy (Reggio approach), but saw some bad reviews about it. They did let my son come in for a visit for half a day which I felt greatful.

My son is an introvert, I feel the Montessori methos might be better for him comparing to Reggio, as he can work independently and play with small group of children. Reggio promotes collaboration and team work, each year students work on a project... my son may not fit in. I'm not sure if my concerns are valid as I really don't know much about either approach beside reading their philosophies online.

All feedbacks /comments /suggsstions are welcome!

Thx!
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2820 posts
213 upvotes
coolspot wrote:
Jan 29th, 2016 8:21 am
In the end, we opted for regular public school since the elementary and high school in are area is very well ranked.

As for private school, personally I don't think there is an ROI for it - you're spending $25K per year x 12 years which is over $300,000. Considering how good the schools are in the York Region area, the benefits of private school are minimal to non-existent. You're better off saving the money to pay for tuition at a US school or just give $300,000+ as a graduation gift.

Also, I don't think private school gives you an inherent advantage to getting into a renowned school - if the child is bright, he/she will probably be just as likely to get into an Ivy League school with an education from a good public school or private school.
To each their own ( :) ) but there are some advantages to private schools.
Feb 15, 2016
47 posts
5 upvotes
Morgan2013 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2016 5:38 pm
I had to pull my daughter from Sunrise Montessori School, because the principal and the teacher do not take bullying seriously. My 4 year old daughter has been harassed by a boy in her class for 4 months with unwanted touching and kissing, which the teacher was aware of. Yesterday the boy decided without any provocation to stab my daughter in the eye with a pencil. All the school decided to do for prevention for future attacks was to make him sit by himself at a desk while he had a pencil. I talked to the principle and the teacher and asked the boy to be moved to a different class, as I no longer feel it's safe for her to be in the same class with him. But the principal said since it's his first offense, they cannot move him to another class. They have to wait for 3 offense, so basically she's saying that my daughter needed to get stabbed 2 more times and potentially be blinded before they will do anything. All the other harassments from before which at the time the teacher felt it was serious enough to talk to his parents about, now she claims he is just an affectionate boy. They made it sound like I'm blowing this out of proportion. My kid got stabbed in her eye with a sharp pencil, all I want is to have the boy who did it to go to a different class. I don't think that's asking too much. By the way, they said this does not classify as bullying.
We are on the waiting list for sunrise it looked nice but I wasn't convinced the one that I want to go to is to far so we settled for that but I wish there more comments about that montessori..was there any thing else that bothered you about it. ..I'm so sorry for your daughter tho glad you pulled her out and she ok
..washer is she now
Feb 15, 2016
47 posts
5 upvotes
I notice their website disappeared. . Be ways n e more comments about this location and what are some good montessori or daycares in markham
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10237 posts
3042 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I did visit Sunrise a few years ago when they had an open house. I also had a coworker who had his son enrolled there for a few months. Based on my observations and his son's experience there:

- The office/warehouse turned school setting has limitations. No green and open spaces for outdoor activities.
- The "gym" is the warehouse space at the back of the school. Didn't look like much thought (or money) went into making the space kids friendly and usable. I remember there is a pillar in the middle of the open space that is just waiting for a child to smack into it.
- The "outdoor" play around is fenced up so it feels like a cage. Artificial turf and minimal play things for the kids (all plastic riding toys and no stationary playgrounds).
- Some food choices served to toddlers are questionable. Honey nut cheerios? Do they really need to give sugar to the kids?

Again, this was a few years ago so perhaps they have made improvements since then.
Nov 3, 2013
6 posts
4 upvotes
Mimi028 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2016 1:54 pm
We are on the waiting list for sunrise it looked nice but I wasn't convinced the one that I want to go to is to far so we settled for that but I wish there more comments about that montessori..was there any thing else that bothered you about it. ..I'm so sorry for your daughter tho glad you pulled her out and she ok
..washer is she now
Sunrise is an owner operated for profit private school. It's a business, the school's bottom line is more important than the best interest of your child. This is a problem if the best interest of your child is in conflict with the schools' financial interest. Which is the reason that I believe why they won't move the other kid. We were not reenrolling for next year anyways. So it's not a big deal to upset us and lose our business for the next 4 months. And the other family has 2 kids, 1 of them will be a potential student in the future, of course the owner/principal is not going to risk upsetting them.
Other things that bothered me prior to this:
1. For some reason I was never placed on their mailing list, despite telling the owner this problem many times over 2 years. I never got any of the school's mass emails, and they don't distribute hard copies of their calendars and notices to the parents unless you ask. So I never knew what events were going on, I didn't even know when the PA days were. Last school year, they had an updated calendar on the website, which is how I got my info. But this year, it seems like they abandoned the website. The website has now disappeared, I don't think that's very professional.
2. The cleaning is done by the teachers. All the teachers take turn cleaning the toilets, vacuum the hallways, etc. They usually do this around lunch time. I know this because last year my daughter went 1/2 day only, so when I picked her up, I always saw different teachers cleaning. I asked my daughter's head teacher about this, she told me they all had to do it, not just the assistants. She didn't seem too thrilled about this arrangement. When the teacher is outside doing janitorial duties, she is not in the classroom watching over the children.
3. The upstairs portion of the school which is where their senior casa, French immersion and elementary classes are is quite run down. Not nearly as nice as downstairs. The girls washroom had no hot water. My daughter always complained about the freezing water. How can the kids wash their hands properly, especially in the winter, when the water is freezing cold.
4. The owner will tell you what you want to hear to get your business, but once she gets your money, she will do whatever she wants, without even consulting you. We had this issue last year regarding my daughter's class placement. She promised me one thing when I was deciding on whether to reenrol, but once I handed my money over, she did the exact opposite. She doesn't have to agree with me in everything, but she needs to be honest and upfront about it, and give me sound reasons for her decisions, and then let me decide whether to reenrol based on accurate information. Not just acquiesce to me to get my business, and then renege on it once she got it. In the least, she should have had the courtesy and professionalism to inform me personally that she couldn't deliver what she promised.
5. High turnover of assistant teachers. Last year after 2 month, 1 of the assistant teachers quit, then they had many different substitute ones, I never knew who was going to be there on a given day. It was like that for at least a month before they finally settled on a permanent one. This school year, half way through the year, we were notified the permanent assistant teacher has been moved to a different class. This is very hard on young kids who tend to get attached to their caregivers, especially kids who are slow to warm up.
Mar 25, 2016
1 posts
coolspot wrote:
Feb 11th, 2015 7:15 pm
Your child is probably not being neglected at Royal Cachet, but there are many better choices in the area.
I'm looking to enroll my child in the toddler program at Royal Cachet next year since I live in the area. What other choices do you consider better in the area? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Mar 31, 2016
1 posts
2 upvotes
I have read a few past posts indicating that Mindtech Montessori appeared small - but I would say this is a situation of "don't judge a book by its cover".

I have been with Mindtech's West Campus at 16th and Woodbine in Markham for the past 5 years and feel this place is a hidden jem. My two daughters started in the infant room at 12 months, now one is is graduating from Sr. Casa at age 6 and my youngest is 3.5y in the Jr.Casa. The teachers have been wonderful and my daughters are attached to them - they are happy to go everyday and happy when we pick them up. I am extremely satisfied and impressed by the quality of education, the regular field trips/activities (skating/swimming) and the manners they they instill in the kids. I wanted to share my experience as I have had only good things to say and would recommend Mindtech Montessori to anyone.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15962 posts
1855 upvotes
functor0 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2016 3:05 pm
I'm looking to enroll my child in the toddler program at Royal Cachet next year since I live in the area. What other choices do you consider better in the area? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Victoria, York, North Hill, Queen's, etc.

Check here for a list of CCMA accredited schools: http://www.ccma.ca/maps/maps.aspx
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1122 posts
136 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Need advise from you folks....
Is it worth putting the kid to Montessori school only for first few years... We are not very rich so for sure won't be able to continue private school forever but can the initial few years in Montessori add any value. I am talking about starting from kindergarten and may be one more year and then public school.....

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)