[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Jun 26, 2007
436 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
CocoJambo wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 1:34 am
Need advise from you folks....
Is it worth putting the kid to Montessori school only for first few years... We are not very rich so for sure won't be able to continue private school forever but can the initial few years in Montessori add any value. I am talking about starting from kindergarten and may be one more year and then public school.....
Many parents have their kids in Montessori for JK/SK. Do you know how big are the kindergarten class size in your home school (public school)? There are actually no caps for full day kindergarten and I know some FDK classes have 30-32 kids with just 1 teacher and 1 ECE. So the small class sizes at a Montessori would be more desirable if I was in that situation.

As for academic value, there may be some advantage at first but I think it pretty much evens out by the time the child is in high school.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2015
1008 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
fenomenon wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 10:48 am
Many parents have their kids in Montessori for JK/SK. Do you know how big are the kindergarten class size in your home school (public school)? There are actually no caps for full day kindergarten and I know some FDK classes have 30-32 kids with just 1 teacher and 1 ECE. So the small class sizes at a Montessori would be more desirable if I was in that situation.

As for academic value, there may be some advantage at first but I think it pretty much evens out by the time the child is in high school.
OK thank you for your response.
Lets say we went ahead and registered our kid in public school right now , do we need to do anything to pull him out rightnow ( the JK starts from Sep 2016) if we choose to put the kid in Montessori instead ? I mean do we need to give any application of withdrawl or something of that sort because we already submitted all the paperwork to the public school. Does anyone know the process?
Jun 26, 2007
436 posts
90 upvotes
GTA
CocoJambo wrote:
Apr 7th, 2016 11:14 am
OK thank you for your response.
Lets say we went ahead and registered our kid in public school right now , do we need to do anything to pull him out rightnow ( the JK starts from Sep 2016) if we choose to put the kid in Montessori instead ? I mean do we need to give any application of withdrawl or something of that sort because we already submitted all the paperwork to the public school. Does anyone know the process?
Yes, you can register your child in JK right now and go to the info sessions. You can decide to pull him out before end of June or during the last week of August before school starts. Not sure what is the exact process but you would inform the school office for sure.
Jul 20, 2003
400 posts
4 upvotes
Hi all

New to the maple area and looking at schools for a 2 yr old as of September

Currently in child ventures.

We saw north hill and royal crest and TMS. Any opinions on this, or should we leave him in CV until he's 3 (sept 2017) and apply to RHM?

Thank you so much
Aug 15, 2003
859 posts
138 upvotes
7thEye wrote:
Apr 14th, 2016 8:42 am
Hi all

New to the maple area and looking at schools for a 2 yr old as of September

Currently in child ventures.

We saw north hill and royal crest and TMS. Any opinions on this, or should we leave him in CV until he's 3 (sept 2017) and apply to RHM?

Thank you so much
North hill is next to a cell tower.
Apr 18, 2016
5 posts
browniewithnuts wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 10:16 pm
Hello RFD Family...I need your help. There are many reviews for Montessori schools on the forums here but nothing for Durham Region. I was wondering if someone out there can recommend any good Montessori Schools for toddlers. There are many that call themselves Montessori schools, but they don't really teach any life skills or anything close to the curriculum of a true Montessori School. Thanks in advance.
Difficult to find info for Montessori school in durham.... anyone has any input? I'm looking for CASA program for my son. Thank you!!!
Mar 10, 2007
257 posts
297 upvotes
Toronto
If you're looking in the Whitby area, check out Royal Pine Montessori.
Apr 21, 2004
819 posts
48 upvotes
Pickering
allytoronto wrote:
Apr 19th, 2016 2:04 pm
Difficult to find info for Montessori school in durham.... anyone has any input? I'm looking for CASA program for my son. Thank you!!!
In this same thread:
raviagarwala wrote:
Nov 13th, 2013 7:56 am
We have a nephew in Montessori Mantra on Altona Road - a pure montessori in the words of Nandita who runs the place - she has 25 years experience and believes in the system and follows it to the t - amazing atmosphere with most reasonable rates - you must check this one out - I believe they have open house on Wednesday mornings - super clean and calm in a nature setting, bubbling creek, baby size washroom, lots of space wow!
We have our son attending Mantra. Overall, I would agree with the previous post. Having met the other parents on some of the parent nights, I cannot say that any are unsatisfied.
Apr 18, 2016
5 posts
dayna wrote:
Apr 19th, 2016 10:23 pm
If you're looking in the Whitby area, check out Royal Pine Montessori.
Yes, I'm looking for Whitby or Ajax. Thank you!
Nov 3, 2008
19 posts
9 upvotes
allytoronto wrote:
Apr 25th, 2016 5:44 pm
Thanks, regin8!

Is there anyone knows Brackendale in Ajax?
My son has been at Brackendale since I went back to work after mat leave (shortly before his first birthday), and he's currently three years old. We're happy with the teachers he's had and with the school in general. Lots of opportunities/events for parents/children. He has really flourished under the whole independence thing...wants to dress himself, pour his own milk, climb into the car, wash his face, etc. He also started French this year and loves it. Montessori was my husband's idea, but I can say that I'm glad we made the decision to send him there.
Apr 18, 2016
5 posts
musicgal831 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2016 8:11 pm
My son has been at Brackendale since I went back to work after mat leave (shortly before his first birthday). We're happy with the teachers he's had and with the school in general. He has really flourished under the whole independence thing...wants to dress himself, pour his own milk, climb into the car, wash his face, etc. Montessori was my husband's idea, but I can say that I'm glad we made the decision to send him there.
Thank you so much for the information!! One of our friends recommended this school too. Before i only focused on whether it's ccma accredited. After we had very bad experience with a big ccma accredited Montessori school, that's not my first priority anymore. The things really matter is how much the teachers care kids and how they treat the kids...
Jul 25, 2008
677 posts
181 upvotes
Toronto
My son is 7 months now and we're just starting to think about daycare for him. We are located in the Leslie Rd and Eglin Mills area. I'm just wondering why there are much more montessori schools versus regular daycare up here. To be honest, I never knew about montessori until a few months ago. I thought kids just went to regular day care.

Anyway, can anyone recommend any in this area for me. I have visited the following and ranked from high to low based on what I have seen so far.
1. ChildVentures - nice facility, many different rooms, mix of daycare and montessori program
1. Victoria Education Centre - I really like the Chinese language program they offer, are there any other day cares near this area that offers the same? I dislike how there is no part time program and how its 98% Chinese students. I'm Chinese but would like my son to be exposed to other cultures too
2. York Montessori
3. Shining Stars
4. Blossoms Montessori - outdoor play area lacked enclosure
5. North Hill Montessori - old, no AC, teacher was very strict, children look very unhappy there
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel