Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Jan 6, 2007
113 posts
1 upvote
so i know i might be a bit premature, as my daughter is only 2 months old, but any thoughts on UMS? it seems that is a popular one around in Markham. Are there any other ones worth looking at
Dec 10, 2007
38 posts
6 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 12:10 am
My son is 7 months now and we're just starting to think about daycare for him. We are located in the Leslie Rd and Eglin Mills area. I'm just wondering why there are much more montessori schools versus regular daycare up here. To be honest, I never knew about montessori until a few months ago. I thought kids just went to regular day care.

Anyway, can anyone recommend any in this area for me. I have visited the following and ranked from high to low based on what I have seen so far.
1. ChildVentures - nice facility, many different rooms, mix of daycare and montessori program
1. Victoria Education Centre - I really like the Chinese language program they offer, are there any other day cares near this area that offers the same? I dislike how there is no part time program and how its 98% Chinese students. I'm Chinese but would like my son to be exposed to other cultures too
2. York Montessori
3. Shining Stars
4. Blossoms Montessori - outdoor play area lacked enclosure
5. North Hill Montessori - old, no AC, teacher was very strict, children look very unhappy there
Our daughter has been at Childventure (16th/Bathrust location) since 10 months, and will be moving to RHMS this coming September to start JK. I have seen several people who comment that CV is just all fancy show (webcam, different rooms etc). It is true that CV is more expensive, however in our mind, it is worth every penny. We are sad to be leaving after this summer.

A friend of ours had started their child at CV at 12 months, but switch the child to another montessori when a spot opened up at 18 months, one of the reasons was that it was cheaper. They transferred their child back to CV after several months. Reasons provided was that CV has more detail report, and their child is happier and eats better at CV.

Below are some of the pros and cons of CV from our prespective, hope it helps.

Pros:
- Webcam
when researching during my mat leave, from a mother's perspective, safety is the main concern when they were that young and can't communicate if something is wrong, a webcam to me is absolutely necessary. Even if we can't be watching every second, the fact that the staff knows that at any given time, someone might be watching, they are more careful. No it won't cover every corner, but having it at the main area is better than not having any)

- Food
CV has a professional chef, their meals are always healthy and changes daily. Sample of the menu:
Breakfast - waffle, milk
Lunch - lasagna primavera, Caesar salad, warm pita, milk.
Afternoon Snack - fish tacos, fresh fruit, water.

- Daily Report
We received daily report via email, it outline what they had learned/activity done that day, amount of food they eat at each meal, length of their nap, and their diaper change/toilet usage. Along with at least 1 photos of the child each day.

- Specialty rooms, Outdoor playground and indoor gym
These are added perks but it does help the children enjoy these small in small groups

Cons:
- Price
It is definitely more expensive than others

- Staff movement
I am not sure if this is the case with other center, but there are quite a few staff movements within the school in the past 3.5 yrs. The school tend to move teachers around the different classes when someone left/joined, I think this is to ensure that each class would have both experienced teachers and new teachers. I know others had mentioned that CV teachers are not montessori teachers, I personally never looked into or confirm it. But we are very happy with our child's progress in the past few years.
Mar 2, 2006
23 posts
Anyone has experienced with Victoria Square Montessori's infant and toddler program? It's located at the NE corner of Woodbine & Major Mack.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15906 posts
1815 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote:
Jul 1st, 2016 12:10 am
My son is 7 months now and we're just starting to think about daycare for him. We are located in the Leslie Rd and Eglin Mills area. I'm just wondering why there are much more montessori schools versus regular daycare up here. To be honest, I never knew about montessori until a few months ago. I thought kids just went to regular day care.
The Montessori name allows a school to charge a lot more money than if it were a regular day care. A Montessori program is more rigid than a daycare program, so that maybe a good or bad things depending on your child. Have you checked out Queen's Montessori (Denison and Warden), that's where we sent our child.

Before selecting a Montessori school, make sure it is on the CCMA list and that some of the teachers have Montessori training and/or attending such a program themselves. Otherwise you're just paying for the name and not really the program.

List of CCMA Montessori schools can be found here: http://www.ccma.ca
Last edited by coolspot on Aug 15th, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 28, 2012
3 posts
I don't think a school can get better than Absorbent Minds Montessori. Huma is one of the kindest, most invested, gentle and genuine people you could ever meet. Her staff is amazing and no one ever seems to leave which is a testament to the kind of school she runs. I am so sad that we are moving out of the area, my son had been there for 2 years now.
Dec 27, 2005
272 posts
22 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hello All,

We are looking at the Town Centre Montessori for our 3 year old.

Does anyone have any experiences ? How is the curriculum ? Do kids actually learn or is it more or less like a Day care ? Do they discipline kids there?

I'm going for the open house but would definitely like some feedback.

Thanks
Mar 30, 2013
84 posts
9 upvotes
Hi all,

My daughter has four-month-old twins and is looking at possible daycares or Montessoris for September 2017 in Burlington. The babies will be 17 months old then.

Does anyone have any recommendations or cautions? Is anyone here willing to share experiences or estimated costs?

We’d appreciate any info you might share! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Aug 19, 2012
62 posts
8 upvotes
TORONTO
Hi,

Looking for some recommendations for full day toddler montessoris in Oakville...

Went for a tour at Fairview glen Montessori and it seems good but it's a bit of a drive for us. Anyone have comments for that school?
Aug 17, 2016
5 posts
1 upvote
I would love to hear any input/experience with either :

1- Forest Hill Montesori
2- Bannockburn

Thanks .
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
2735 posts
191 upvotes
LillyXyz wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:29 pm
I would love to hear any input/experience with either :

1- Forest Hill Montesori
2- Bannockburn

Thanks .
Got your PM and replied.
Mar 30, 2013
84 posts
9 upvotes
edstone wrote:
Aug 15th, 2016 9:11 pm
Hi all,

My daughter has four-month-old twins and is looking at possible daycares or Montessoris for September 2017 in Burlington. The babies will be 17 months old then.

Does anyone have any recommendations or cautions? Is anyone here willing to share experiences or estimated costs?

We’d appreciate any info you might share! Smiling Face With Open Mouth
<crickets> Nobody? Nothing?
Aug 31, 2014
3 posts
Markham, ON
Can anyone share any feedback on Trinity Montessori at Woodbine and 16th? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Grinning Face
Jul 20, 2003
400 posts
4 upvotes
hi all

looking for good place for a 2 year old in the vaughan/maple area. any recommendations?
Aug 31, 2014
3 posts
Markham, ON
Hi all, can anyone share their feedback on Radiant Way Montessori in Markham??
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
36986 posts
7444 upvotes
A young couple/friend is currently searching for a daycare in Mississauga specifically within 10-15 km from heartland where they live. Their intersection is Creditview and Britannia.

They plan to send their daughter to daycare when the mother's maternity leave ends on July 2017. She will be 1 yr old by then.

I mentioned daycare bear and how to kinda avoid Wee Watch.

Any suggestions for Montessori or daycare would be appreciated. Sometimes, these schools are even cheaper than daycare but of course the younger children will be attentive to lessons at most half of the time. :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel