Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Jun 20, 2012
157 posts
3 upvotes
MARKHAM
Hi,
I am looking for Montessori school for my 27 months old son in Markham. What's the best way to go about finding a school which has the available spot right now ? Usually how long is the waiting period?
He will turn 3 in Aug 2017, should we wait for him to turn 3 ? (I had contacted 1 montessori school and they asked us to register for Casa program for Sep 2017 as the Toddler program waiting list is tooooo long)

and do my son have to be toilet trained to join casa program ?

It may not be related here, but in case Montessori school doens't work out , isthere YMCA daycare which has the spots available as we want to switch his daycare.

Thanks a lot everyone !!
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
reachme wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 1:48 pm
Hi,
I am looking for Montessori school for my 27 months old son in Markham. What's the best way to go about finding a school which has the available spot right now ? Usually how long is the waiting period?
He will turn 3 in Aug 2017, should we wait for him to turn 3 ? (I had contacted 1 montessori school and they asked us to register for Casa program for Sep 2017 as the Toddler program waiting list is tooooo long)

and do my son have to be toilet trained to join casa program ?

It may not be related here, but in case Montessori school doens't work out , isthere YMCA daycare which has the spots available as we want to switch his daycare.
Waiting list depends on the school, seems to vary from none to 1 year+. I recommend you register with a few programs immediately.

Toilet training is dependent on the school - some do toilet training in pre-Casa, so by Casa they are somewhat self-sufficient - other schools don't even bother trying.
Aug 17, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Many schools will accept kids in January, depending on availability of course.
If you find the school you like you should register now for Casa program in September /2017. Usually for Casa programs (Primary Program) the kids need to be potty trained. "Pre-casa" does not require potty trained

Edited to add:
With regards knowing availability there is no other way but call the schools to ask about.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2004
1995 posts
142 upvotes
LillyXyz wrote:
Aug 18th, 2016 12:29 pm
I would love to hear any input/experience with either :

1- Forest Hill Montesori
2- Bannockburn

Thanks .
Following if whoever provided you info can pls pm me too? Thx!
Apr 23, 2008
269 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
I just learned about montessori school. Is it too late to look for a montessori school for my son, who is turning 4 years in May, 2017? If no, any recommendation for a montessori school close to East York Town Centre (Don Mills/Ovelea blvd) area?
Jul 18, 2012
189 posts
5 upvotes
Toronto
anyone have any recommendation for northern Oakville montessori schools - like Trafalgar Ridge and Rotherglen? General feedback is much appreciated!
Aug 17, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
Did you make your mind between Forest Hill and Bannockburn ?
Aug 17, 2016
4 posts
1 upvote
I don't think it is too late. He is only 4 .. You search at CCMA website for accredited schools close to your address.

Some montessori schools prefer if the child has never attended "conventional" school, but that is because in regular schools the child gets used to grades, prizes etc so it MAY make adaptation more challenging. Nonetheless 4 is very you he and should have no problem .
Good luck
Oct 17, 2006
13 posts
AVOID ROYAL CACHET MONTESSORI IN MARKHAM & STOUFFVILLE. Msg for details. It's bad.
Thomas G.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6857 posts
279 upvotes
We are thinking to send the kid to Victoria Education on Leslie/Major Mac for JK. However, it is a bit far from our home at Bathurst/Major Mac. Wonder what the other compatible Montessori are available which are closer to us. Due to our background, we prefer to pick one that will teach Chinese in the curriculum (which is why we thought about Victoria in the first place).

http://www.victoriaeducationcenter.com/

Thanks for any recommendations
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
Victoria Education Center is not a Montessori school. While they teach Chinese, half of their teachers also can't speak English properly.

Victoria Square on Woodbine on the other hand is a Montessori school.

York Montessori on Leslie and Major Mac seemed like a well run school when we did a tour, although the Principal does seem like a stickler.

Check here for applicant and certified schools: http://www.ccma.ca/maps/maps.aspx?map=31&map2=5
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6857 posts
279 upvotes
Thanks for the info.

We actually don't really care if it is a registered Montessori. But we want to find a reputable school which will tell teach Chinese as part of the curriculum which will save us a trip sending the kids to weekend Chinese school Face With Tears Of Joy We just want the kid to have some exposure to Chinese before it is too late, she is speaking 100% English right now even we speak Chinese to her at home before her daycare is English and some French .....

If we just want a typical Montessori, I think there are several which are pretty close to our home.

Victoria Education is not registered Montessori, but heard many good stories about them, their curriculum is pretty diversified and also offer after school classes, , It is just a bit far from us.

I guess we need to go east if we are seeking for schools offering Chinese classes.

coolspot wrote:
Mar 23rd, 2017 7:48 pm
Victoria Education Center is not a Montessori school. While they teach Chinese, half of their teachers also can't speak English properly.

Victoria Square on Woodbine on the other hand is a Montessori school.

York Montessori on Leslie and Major Mac seemed like a well run school when we did a tour, although the Principal does seem like a stickler.

Check here for applicant and certified schools: http://www.ccma.ca/maps/maps.aspx?map=31&map2=5
Last edited by rdx on Mar 24th, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15899 posts
1812 upvotes
rdx wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 10:28 am
Victoria Education is not registered Montessori, so heard many good stories about them, their curriculum is pretty diversified and also offer after school classes, , It is just a bit far from us.
When we visited Victoria Education center earlier in the year, there were a couple things we did not like:
  • Lack of racial diversity
  • Poor language skills of the teachers
  • Environment not as bright as other schools
  • Lots of miscellaneous fees
Also, I didn't like the fact they advertise themselves as a Montessori school when clearly they are not, hence a bit of misrepresentation.

Considering the number of good schools in the area, Victoria was in the middle of the pack for us. The Chinese language instruction was a big selling point, but we felt the other issues outweighed it too much. We ultimately put our younger one back at another Montessori school.

FYI, Mon Sheong has a good weekend Chinese program for toddlers as well - maybe worth checking out: http://www.monsheongcs.com/admission/

They also have an immersion summer camp as well which is OK - but it is not as "fun" as a non-language camp.

I hope things work out well :)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
6857 posts
279 upvotes
Thanks again for your information.
coolspot wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 1:05 pm
When we visited Victoria Education center earlier in the year, there were a couple things we did not like:
  • Lack of racial diversity
  • Poor language skills of the teachers
  • Environment not as bright as other schools
  • Lots of miscellaneous fees
Also, I didn't like the fact they advertise themselves as a Montessori school when clearly they are not, hence a bit of misrepresentation.

Considering the number of good schools in the area, Victoria was in the middle of the pack for us. The Chinese language instruction was a big selling point, but we felt the other issues outweighed it too much. We ultimately put our younger one back at another Montessori school.

FYI, Mon Sheong has a good weekend Chinese program for toddlers as well - maybe worth checking out: http://www.monsheongcs.com/admission/

They also have an immersion summer camp as well which is OK - but it is not as "fun" as a non-language camp.

I hope things work out well :)
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel