Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Apr 8, 2011
191 posts
38 upvotes
Regarding advertising as a Montessori, any school can state they are Montessori as there is no governing body or true "requirement", as it is just a methodology. It's a public domain term.

The CCMA tries to help with regulating Montessori in Canada, but many reputable Schools aren't part of that org.

Yip's in Markham offers Chinese education, but might be a little far for you?
Jun 26, 2007
449 posts
92 upvotes
GTA
Really depends on what your priority is. If it is for getting your LO to speak Chinese, the daily Chinese instruction really really helps. If the other things are as important to you, then another school might be a better fit. It may be more difficult for your child now that she already speaks 100% English.

Both of mine went to Yip's. I switched my older one out after JK. Again, their only selling point is really the Chinese language instruction. Their facilities are so so, no racial diversity, not a real montessori etc. The teachers are caring but probably other school's teachers may be better. But both kids speak flawless Chinese at home, can do basic Chinese writing and even still speak Chinese between each other. They never really spoke English to us except outside the home when we are with non-Chinese speaking people.

I think also Safari kids also have Chinese preschool program?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
15928 posts
1840 upvotes
ersatz wrote:
Mar 24th, 2017 1:37 pm
Regarding advertising as a Montessori, any school can state they are Montessori as there is no governing body or true "requirement", as it is just a methodology. It's a public domain term.

The CCMA tries to help with regulating Montessori in Canada, but many reputable Schools aren't part of that org.

Yip's in Markham offers Chinese education, but might be a little far for you?
True, but most reputable Montessori schools have joined the band wagon. Yips is a bit dirty and old in comparison to other schools ... teachers are "stricter" (meaner?), I think if Chinese education is a priority, Victoria is a better choice.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7287 posts
372 upvotes
That's good to know. We are paying so much taxes already, why wastes more money on private school ;) Are we saying kids coming from private schools have better chance to go to top universities ?

vadeska wrote:
Oct 16th, 2011 5:46 pm
Hi
I have 3years experience with TMS, and I think i s only maybe good for a preschool program. The rest, grade 1+ in my opinion just waste of money, many public school same or better as well. Here is why: grade 1to3 study together in 1classroom, 36 students for two teachers. Tell me how you can teach three grades together while at same time majority of students walking and playing around the classroom.
Apr 10, 2017
1 posts
I need details. Was planning to enrol my 2 year old for May. I need to know what's going on there asap before paying and enrolling her. I hope it's not too bad and your little one(s) is ok.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7287 posts
372 upvotes
Nboodram wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:34 pm
I need details. Was planning to enrol my 2 year old for May. I need to know what's going on there asap before paying and enrolling her. I hope it's not too bad and your little one(s) is ok.
Which school are you referring ??
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
7287 posts
372 upvotes
zzliang wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 10:34 am
Would you mind sharing exactly what happened?
What happened in which school ??
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2004
8007 posts
737 upvotes
need advice...some kids don't go to school until age of 4 or 6....some go to Montessori at the age of 18 months or 2 yrs old...

my question is is it necessarily to go on early age like 18 months or 2 yrs old? will they be able to learn anything or just play?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10037 posts
2974 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kiasu wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 10:48 pm
need advice...some kids don't go to school until age of 4 or 6....some go to Montessori at the age of 18 months or 2 yrs old...

my question is is it necessarily to go on early age like 18 months or 2 yrs old? will they be able to learn anything or just play?
They certainly learn social skills through interaction with others in class and with teachers which helps with their confidence, self-esteem, communication skills and being independent. And with those skills in hand, kindergarten and grade school becomes an easier adjustment. And any form of early learning, whether through the Montessori or the traditional daycare environment, will incorporate some form of academic learning (math, phonics, STEM, etc.) through the act of play. So they may be just "playing" but they are still learning the fundamentals.
Apr 18, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi,

My son is exactly 3 years old. He is currently not in a Montessori, but in a well-located daycare. It's expensive (1850/month) so friends have encouraged me to book a few visits at Montessoris downtown Toronto. Apparently you get more for your money. We are open-minded, so why not consider that school system!
  • What do you think are the best two Montessoris no higher than Eglinton, East of Windemere, and West of Bayview?
  • My son already knows French, which is my first language. He will almost be learning mathematics and programming from me, so for now, I am inclined to put more value on a school that is "warm", rather than a program that focuses on French and/or accelerated learning. Do you agree with this reasoning?
Much appreciated!
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10037 posts
2974 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mattsp wrote:
May 7th, 2017 1:43 pm
Hi,

My son is exactly 3 years old. He is currently not in a Montessori, but in a well-located daycare. It's expensive (1850/month) so friends have encouraged me to book a few visits at Montessoris downtown Toronto. Apparently you get more for your money. We are open-minded, so why not consider that school system!
  • What do you think are the best two Montessoris no higher than Eglinton, East of Windemere, and West of Bayview?
  • My son already knows French, which is my first language. He will almost be learning mathematics and programming from me, so for now, I am inclined to put more value on a school that is "warm", rather than a program that focuses on French and/or accelerated learning. Do you agree with this reasoning?
Much appreciated!
At the risk of generalizing, I never felt the "warm and fuzzy" feeling when I visited Montessori schools and even when I had my son in one when he was 2. We ended up switching him to a daycare when he turned 3 and it made a world of difference. Teachers were much more approachable and easy to talk to. They gave feedback to us at every drop off and pick up (where as there were little to no feedback at the Montessori school). The daycare had no problems with parents sticking around to see how the kids play at drop off. Whereas at Montessori, you are told to drop off and don't linger around.
Mar 29, 2010
1 posts
Toronto
Hi everyone,

Would appreciate any insight into Montessori schools in the North. I live in Stouffville- the closest one to me is Royal Cachet Montessori. Anyone have any insight or other opinions? Thank you!
Aug 17, 2016
9 posts
2 upvotes
girlstar wrote:
Dec 22nd, 2016 9:21 am
Following if whoever provided you info can pls pm me too? Thx!
Did you make your mind between the two schools ?