Parenting & Family

[Merged] Recommendations for MONTESSORI SCHOOLS in the GTA & surrounding areas

Sep 26, 2012
23 posts
1 upvote
Looking to enroll my 3 year old in the preschool or Casa program this September and deciding between a few schools. Appreciate any current feedback.
1. Apple Tree Montessori 2. Royal Crest Academy 3. Century Private School 4. Humberland Montessori Academy
Jun 5, 2017
0 posts
hi, anyone have reviews on Montessori school in north and Toronto, thinking to put my 3yrs old to Montessori school. Somehow I can't find much about these school, anyone have info will be great!!
1, bannockburn
2, forest grove Montessori
3, central Montessori Sheppard location
4, Pine Lake Montessori School
5, Yorktown Montessori
Aug 26, 2012
2 posts
Richmond Hill
Any recommendations for Montessori schools for 14-month-old in Markham? Thanks so much
Aug 17, 2016
8 posts
1 upvote
Leahfaith wrote:
Jun 6th, 2017 2:28 am
hi, anyone have reviews on Montessori school in north and Toronto, thinking to put my 3yrs old to Montessori school. Somehow I can't find much about these school, anyone have info will be great!!
1, bannockburn
2, forest grove Montessori
3, central Montessori Sheppard location
4, Pine Lake Montessori School
5, Yorktown Montessori

My child will start in Bannockburn in September. I heard good things about the school. I visited the school and the Principal answered all my questions and concerns. Seems to be a great community. It is pricier than of the other montessori schools, but they have great facility with library, French classroom, arts classroom, music classroom, a great a outdoor area and indoor gymnasium. Most of the other schools I visited were either houses converted to be a 'pre-school / daycare' or the basement of a church. The teachers and all teacher assistants have Montesori training and this is a huge difference as some schools only the head teacher has montessori training and the assistant requires no specific training.

I also heard mixed reviews about Forest Hill Montessori , which is not too far from Bannockburn. Some families love it , some families are not so thrilled or don't like it. There is a high turn over of staff , and looks like many kids leave to other private / public school in JK (casa 2).
Oct 16, 2007
287 posts
6 upvotes
I have my child enrolled in Central Montessori Schools (York Mills Campus) starting in a couple weeks but have started to have mixed feelings about it. Moving from a daycare that had security cameras and now to CMS (without) has me wondering whether the teachers are safe around the children. The Montessori system (that is not regulated) has me feeling like it will be no different in terms of the development for the children (versus a regular private daycare).

Does anyone on this thread have their child enrolled at CMS York Mills? Good experiences? Bad experiences? Anything you'd recommend to me as a parent? My child is just past 2 years old and is enrolled in their summer program.

Thank you in advance.
Aug 17, 2016
8 posts
1 upvote
drokli wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 10:33 am
I have my child enrolled in Central Montessori Schools (York Mills Campus) starting in a couple weeks but have started to have mixed feelings about it. Moving from a daycare that had security cameras and now to CMS (without) has me wondering whether the teachers are safe around the children. The Montessori system (that is not regulated) has me feeling like it will be no different in terms of the development for the children (versus a regular private daycare).

Does anyone on this thread have their child enrolled at CMS York Mills? Good experiences? Bad experiences? Anything you'd recommend to me as a parent? My child is just past 2 years old and is enrolled in their summer program.

Thank you in advance.

No experience with CMS, but keep in mind all pre-schools are regulated for the care of the "little ones". In the past there was no regulation for private schools, but it has changed and even the schools that were grandfathered had to get approval in 2015/2016. This applies only to pre-school level. If you google Ontario Licensed Child Care you should be able to check the license and conditions of each campus of CMS. So no more worries about "not being regulated" it is as regulated as any daycare.
Sep 20, 2008
839 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
Subscribed.

I'm in the midst of researching for Montessori schools. I'm surrounded by Forest Grove to the North and Central to the South. I have toured an open house of CMS and read reviews online and I am on the fence. Any reviews on Forest Grove?
LillyXyz wrote:
Jun 18th, 2017 5:18 pm
The teachers and all teacher assistants have Montesori training and this is a huge difference as some schools only the head teacher has montessori training and the assistant requires no specific training.
Is this true? A place where you get a certification to teach Montessori? What is this program called? Would it be rude of me if I asked if they had proper Montessori training?
Aug 17, 2016
8 posts
1 upvote
Faemow wrote:
Jul 17th, 2017 11:39 am
Subscribed.
(...)

Is this true? A place where you get a certification to teach Montessori? What is this program called? Would it be rude of me if I asked if they had proper Montessori training?
Yes, montessori teachers receive proper montessori training and you should not be embarrassed to ask about the teacher and teacher assistant training. Also , I suggest you ask if the school is CCMA accredited . CCMA (Canadian Council of Montessori Administrator) is an independent association that "certifies" montessori schools.
Any schoo can call themselves "Montessori" there is no regulation on the use of "Montessori" name, so you better ask about their Montessori program. If a school is CCMA accredited , at least you know that they follow the Montessori principles as required by the the association. CCMA website allows you to search schools .

Edited to add:
Montessori teachers have certification based on the age they teach from institutions accredited by the Montessori Accreditation Council for Teacher Education (MACTE), such as Toronto Montessori Institute (TMI), Montessori Teachers’ College (MTC) and Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)