[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 12:31 pm
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2876 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
There should have been a sign near the cash if they do - a sign that summarized SCOP.

But as people have posted here, some stores (usually the ones of a chain, where the chain has signed up to SCOP) actually hide the signs or make them less visible.

You can also check with the Retail Council to see if Nesters has signed up to SCOP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7571 posts
377 upvotes
Vancouver
Received a nice email from nesters:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Nesters Market.

It is very disappointing to hear about your experience in one of our stores
yesterday. We do follow the Scanner Accuracy Code of Practice, and from what
you have described you should have received the product for free. My
apologies, our staff should be well educated on the practice. I would like
to follow up with the team at the store and arrange for a refund. Could you
please let me know which of our locations this was? I look forward to your
response.

Regards,
Mar 18, 2007
580 posts
159 upvotes
Charged wrong price @ Food Basics for fruit sold by the pound. Sale price clearly displayed. Was told SCOP doesn't apply to these price errors. This correct?
Then tells me she needs to serve the people who were behind me in line before she could deal with my problem. Insult to injury.
Jan 30, 2013
164 posts
33 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 5:48 pm
Charged wrong price @ Food Basics for fruit sold by the pound. Sales price clearly displayed. Was told SCOP doesn't apply to these price errors. This correct?
Then tells me she needs to serve the people who were behind me in line before she could deal with my problem. Insult to injury.
I've gotten SCOP on fruit and vegetable by the pound errors.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7299 posts
1029 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Charged wrong price @ Food Basics for fruit sold by the pound. Sale price clearly displayed. Was told SCOP doesn't apply to these price errors. This correct?
It applies if the price is wrong for the same product. If the staffer makes a mistake and puts the code in for a different product that it wouldn't, You coudl get it resolved easily enough, likey by having a gc for mroe mailed to you
Jul 4, 2005
683 posts
24 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Correct
Mar 18, 2007
580 posts
159 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Seem to have 3 answers ... yes, no, and maybe :)
Jul 4, 2005
683 posts
24 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Correct

"2 - What is the “Item Free Scanner Policy”?
"When the "correct" price (i.e., the advertised or displayed price) is lower than the price that is scanned at the checkout, the customer gets the item for free, as long as the item costs $10 or less"...

"5 - What items are covered?"
"The code applies to merchandise with a UPC bar code".

* copied and pasted from post #1 of this thread
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7299 posts
1029 upvotes
Junk Food Junkie wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 8:42 pm
Correct

"2 - What is the “Item Free Scanner Policy”?
"When the "correct" price (i.e., the advertised or displayed price) is lower than the price that is scanned at the checkout, the customer gets the item for free, as long as the item costs $10 or less"...

"5 - What items are covered?"
"The code applies to merchandise with a UPC bar code".

* copied and pasted from post #1 of this thread
you might want to do some more research on that.

"The Code applies to all scanned Universal Product Code (UPC), bar coded, and/or Price Look Up (PLU) merchandise sold in stores
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2876 posts
144 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Guys/Gals - This scenario has been discussed here before with the same results as above - the items (and their price identifier) where SCOP applies is inconsistent within the SCOP documentation.

I guess nobody has contacted the retail council to get that clarified.

I commented about this in this forum that I think SCOP is even more important for PLU pricing than for UPC bar code pricing with the rationale why.

There is no question in my mind that the code should apply to PLU pricing if the PLU code is wrong (but not if the cashier types in an incorrect PLU code)
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
6617 posts
664 upvotes
Toronto
Not the First time denied SCOP at Metro.

Price of Miracle Whip scanned incorrectly as $5.99 when it was $3.99 on the shelf. Cashier gives attitude that she guarantees that it's not the price I say.

She goes to the shelf and brings the tag back to her superior. She decides to give it at the lower price. This is my normal experience at Metro instead of giving it for free under SCOP.

I ask her about SCOP. She said SCOP does not apply because I did not buy multiples. She said I would have gotten the first one free and the others at the reduced price. I asked her if she was sure about this as I know the SCOP rules states that if it's one item and under $10 it should be free. She said yes she was sure that her way was correct.Lol

No sense arguing as other people in line and only cashier on a Saturday night.

Too bad no recourse except not to shop there anymore. Returned last Friday and different cashier leaves to go sell lotteries keeping me waiting for couple minutes.

This Stockyards location is closest to my home but won't be returning.

A positive SCOP story I witnessed at Freshco Bloor and Dundas where the cashier immediately gave the cheese to the customer for free although the customer knew nothing about SCOP.

When I spoke to the cashier, she said it was good customer service in being honest and not cheating customers so they return. Kudos to her.
Jan 2, 2016
4 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For those of you that worry about the line behind you when trying to use the SCOP, this is what I do...
If I hear someone huffing or complaining behind me, I very politely mention the scanning code of practice, that this item should be free, (or $10 off) and that I'm not leaving without it.
And follow with this: "If you'd like to give me the $3.99 +tax out of your own pocket then I'd be happy to pay for the item and leave now, however, I won't be paying for it today, so either you or the store will be."
Not much they can say to that. Especially if you are polite.
Jan 30, 2013
164 posts
33 upvotes
PositiveGamma wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 1:36 am
For those of you that worry about the line behind you when trying to use the SCOP, this is what I do...
If I hear someone huffing or complaining behind me, I very politely mention the scanning code of practice, that this item should be free, (or $10 off) and that I'm not leaving without it.
And follow with this: "If you'd like to give me the $3.99 +tax out of your own pocket then I'd be happy to pay for the item and leave now, however, I won't be paying for it today, so either you or the store will be."
Not much they can say to that. Especially if you are polite.
If someone is worried about upsetting other customers go to customer service if the store has a customer service to do the SCOP.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1633 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
Was at No Frills today and two of the items (same product, different flavour) I bought were on sale but scanned in at regular price. She sent someone to check with someone else and confirmed they should be scanned as lower price. I asked if I could get one item for free and the cashier said no as SCOP does not apply if the item is in their flyer.

I did not want to argue with her and went to the customer service and asked if it is a new policy. The cashier then yelled across the floor "don't give it to her for free. It is not free. I already told her the item is in the flyer so it is not free. Cxx the manager said that two days ago. It is not free".

My question are:
- Is it true if the item is in the flyer, then SCOP does not apply?
- If SCOP should applies, does the free item (under $10) apply to one of the two items only or both items since they have two different barcodes (sort of the same product but different flavour)?