[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 9:15 am
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3592 posts
324 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
There should have been a sign near the cash if they do - a sign that summarized SCOP.

But as people have posted here, some stores (usually the ones of a chain, where the chain has signed up to SCOP) actually hide the signs or make them less visible.

You can also check with the Retail Council to see if Nesters has signed up to SCOP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
8323 posts
464 upvotes
Vancouver
Received a nice email from nesters:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us at Nesters Market.

It is very disappointing to hear about your experience in one of our stores
yesterday. We do follow the Scanner Accuracy Code of Practice, and from what
you have described you should have received the product for free. My
apologies, our staff should be well educated on the practice. I would like
to follow up with the team at the store and arrange for a refund. Could you
please let me know which of our locations this was? I look forward to your
response.

Regards,
Mar 18, 2007
606 posts
165 upvotes
Charged wrong price @ Food Basics for fruit sold by the pound. Sale price clearly displayed. Was told SCOP doesn't apply to these price errors. This correct?
Then tells me she needs to serve the people who were behind me in line before she could deal with my problem. Insult to injury.
Jan 30, 2013
196 posts
46 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Jul 4th, 2016 5:48 pm
Charged wrong price @ Food Basics for fruit sold by the pound. Sales price clearly displayed. Was told SCOP doesn't apply to these price errors. This correct?
Then tells me she needs to serve the people who were behind me in line before she could deal with my problem. Insult to injury.
I've gotten SCOP on fruit and vegetable by the pound errors.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7405 posts
1126 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Charged wrong price @ Food Basics for fruit sold by the pound. Sale price clearly displayed. Was told SCOP doesn't apply to these price errors. This correct?
It applies if the price is wrong for the same product. If the staffer makes a mistake and puts the code in for a different product that it wouldn't, You coudl get it resolved easily enough, likey by having a gc for mroe mailed to you
Jul 4, 2005
698 posts
29 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Correct
Mar 18, 2007
606 posts
165 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Seem to have 3 answers ... yes, no, and maybe :)
Jul 4, 2005
698 posts
29 upvotes
WalterQ wrote:
Correct

"2 - What is the “Item Free Scanner Policy”?
"When the "correct" price (i.e., the advertised or displayed price) is lower than the price that is scanned at the checkout, the customer gets the item for free, as long as the item costs $10 or less"...

"5 - What items are covered?"
"The code applies to merchandise with a UPC bar code".

* copied and pasted from post #1 of this thread
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7405 posts
1126 upvotes
Junk Food Junkie wrote:
Jul 5th, 2016 8:42 pm
Correct

"2 - What is the “Item Free Scanner Policy”?
"When the "correct" price (i.e., the advertised or displayed price) is lower than the price that is scanned at the checkout, the customer gets the item for free, as long as the item costs $10 or less"...

"5 - What items are covered?"
"The code applies to merchandise with a UPC bar code".

* copied and pasted from post #1 of this thread
you might want to do some more research on that.

"The Code applies to all scanned Universal Product Code (UPC), bar coded, and/or Price Look Up (PLU) merchandise sold in stores
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3592 posts
324 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Guys/Gals - This scenario has been discussed here before with the same results as above - the items (and their price identifier) where SCOP applies is inconsistent within the SCOP documentation.

I guess nobody has contacted the retail council to get that clarified.

I commented about this in this forum that I think SCOP is even more important for PLU pricing than for UPC bar code pricing with the rationale why.

There is no question in my mind that the code should apply to PLU pricing if the PLU code is wrong (but not if the cashier types in an incorrect PLU code)
Oct 7, 2013
399 posts
140 upvotes
I make a purchase at my local Real Canadian Super Store...a bag of candy and the shelf sticker says the price is $1.99. Now I know that for that particular product that's a very good price so I purchase one. I get home...check my receipt and the ring in is $2.97 !!

So I return the next day with my receipt and ask about it at customer service...telling the gal that the shelf sticker says $1.99. We walk down the aisle to the product and there it is for her to see just as I described. Now here's the rub...it turns out that the shelf sticker that is sitting DIRECTLY UNDER my purchased product is actually for the candy product right next to it. So she takes the sticker and moves it about 8 inches to the right and all is well according to her...

I asked her if the SCOP applies here since...to my eyes the advertised price -- is clearly listed at $1.99 and now it's apparently not. She said no it does not and here's her reason...the bar code has to match before SCOP applies. In other words the $1.99 sticker in no way applies to my product in their system and it never has...

I meekly complied because I like the staff and the store and didn't want to cause a ruckus but should I have gotten a SCOP price on my purchase....or not ???
Deal Guru
Nov 16, 2004
14268 posts
1422 upvotes
Toronto
You'd have to read the rules on the SCOP policy (publically posted online) but no, I don't think it applies.
Loop hole for them.
"Deal of the Day" addict
Nov 24, 2014
76 posts
25 upvotes
Pointe-Claire, Qc
unclefester wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 11:40 am
I make a purchase at my local Real Canadian Super Store...a bag of candy and the shelf sticker says the price is $1.99. Now I know that for that particular product that's a very good price so I purchase one. I get home...check my receipt and the ring in is $2.97 !!

So I return the next day with my receipt and ask about it at customer service...telling the gal that the shelf sticker says $1.99. We walk down the aisle to the product and there it is for her to see just as I described. Now here's the rub...it turns out that the shelf sticker that is sitting DIRECTLY UNDER my purchased product is actually for the candy product right next to it. So she takes the sticker and moves it about 8 inches to the right and all is well according to her...

I asked her if the SCOP applies here since...to my eyes the advertised price -- is clearly listed at $1.99 and now it's apparently not. She said no it does not and here's her reason...the bar code has to match before SCOP applies. In other words the $1.99 sticker in no way applies to my product in their system and it never has...

I meekly complied because I like the staff and the store and didn't want to cause a ruckus but should I have gotten a SCOP price on my purchase....or not ???
It does not apply, the barcode (and there is usually the product name in small text) is not for that product.
Sep 17, 2007
255 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I don't think it applies either in this case. It depends on how the sticker reads...usually the sticker does has a description of the product/barcode.
If SCOP can be applied so loosely, I think a lot of people may then abuse it and just start moving products to be under certain stickers, or remove and the sticker and place elsewhere, etc.
Like previous poster says, best to check the SCOP policy before complaining with store to save time.