Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2018 5:02 pm
Oct 27, 2008
247 posts
51 upvotes
she is right. if the bar code gives you different price than u are entitled to the advertised price on a flyer for example.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4907 posts
556 upvotes
Toronto
Its strictly UPC because there is too much grey area if stores honoured it in your situation. Yes, in majority of cases like this it was an employee making a merchandising error and in those cases if it looks honest the store will sometimes refund the difference at their discretion if the sale price seemed to look reasonable. On the other hand in the SCOP policy, it does not honour if the product or shelf label has been tampered. If this situation was SCOP eligible, there would be a lot of shelf and label tampering by customers. Moreover, if this was the case I could probably walk into most participating stores and have a whole shopping cart full of SCOP-ed products without even tampering.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jun 21, 2016
248 posts
56 upvotes
I find I always compare the shelf sticker with the product to make sure it's the correct one and price. Too many stores have poor shelf tag maintenance and they can be a total mess. I find so many times where the shelf tag is not what is actually on the shelf.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1813 posts
141 upvotes
Vancouver
Here's a photo of an item I took the other day, at Super Store:

The tag has enough of a description to determine if it represents the correct item above it. While most of us do just read the price and grab the item, this format allows the store to correct any placement issues, such as the one you encountered.

GYR8
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3502 posts
4551 upvotes
Ontario
http://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy
1.4 To be eligible for the Item Free Scanner Policy, the product must match the product description on the corresponding shelf tag.

1.5 The Item Free Scanner Policy does not apply if the barcode or shelf label for a given product has been tampered with.
I have noticed that sometimes product shelf cards are not lined up with the actual product at my Fortino's stores. Sometimes pop cases don't have shelf cards-don't assume some seasonal Pepsi pop will be included in Pepsi pop sales. I found that out the full retail price way at the checkout this spring.

Today, I bent down to verify the sale tag under one cereal was the right one for the cereal. Otherwise I would not have purchased the cereal.
Happy New Year 2018-where's my win?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2014
1388 posts
584 upvotes
Newton Brook, ON
[QUOTE]1.4 To be eligible for the Item Free Scanner Policy, the product must match the product description on the corresponding shelf tag.

1.5 The Item Free Scanner Policy does not apply if the barcode or shelf label for a given product has been tampered with.[/QUOTE]

So really, only the description must match. The policy doesn't actually state that barcodes must match - the store is basically assuming that any misplaced labels were tampered with. Theoretically, if there is no reasonable suspicion of tampering, and the descriptions are ambiguous and apply to both items, it should still apply.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2010 posts
1002 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
unclefester wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 11:40 am
I make a purchase at my local Real Canadian Super Store...a bag of candy and the shelf sticker says the price is $1.99. Now I know that for that particular product that's a very good price so I purchase one. I get home...check my receipt and the ring in is $2.97 !!

So I return the next day with my receipt and ask about it at customer service...telling the gal that the shelf sticker says $1.99. We walk down the aisle to the product and there it is for her to see just as I described. Now here's the rub...it turns out that the shelf sticker that is sitting DIRECTLY UNDER my purchased product is actually for the candy product right next to it. So she takes the sticker and moves it about 8 inches to the right and all is well according to her...

I asked her if the SCOP applies here since...to my eyes the advertised price -- is clearly listed at $1.99 and now it's apparently not. She said no it does not and here's her reason...the bar code has to match before SCOP applies. In other words the $1.99 sticker in no way applies to my product in their system and it never has...
SCOP does not apply because the advertised or displayed price is not for that item, however it could be argued that it if the tag was beneath a section of the shelf featuring all of the other product of the same kind you purchased, that was the displayed price. If you'd spoken with the manager on duty they may have been prepared to do something but they don't strictly have to. I would have just returned the candy. :)
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11401 posts
1609 upvotes
City of Vancouver
No, SCOP does not apply in this case. You should always scan the item on "good deals" at the scanning stations at RCSS to confirm the price if u want to avoid these types of situations.
Deal Guru
Dec 23, 2003
12117 posts
977 upvotes
Toronto
SCOP does not apply since the item was wrongly tagged but this falls under the mandate of the Consumer Protection Act of Ontario section 11 and they should honour the price for you. They can change it after you reported for subsequent customers. A link to the act can be found here: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/02c30

A price tag is deemed as an offer and you are accepting that offer with money (consideration). As this is an ambiguity, section 11 IMO applies and the lower price should be offered to the consumer.

Ambiguities to benefit consumer
11. Any ambiguity that allows for more than one reasonable interpretation of a consumer agreement provided by the supplier to the consumer or of any information that must be disclosed under this Act shall be interpreted to the benefit of the consumer. 2002, c. 30, Sched. A, s. 11.

The consumer protection act applies as this is a “consumer transaction” means any act or instance of conducting business or other dealings with a consumer, including a consumer agreement; (“opération de consommation”)
Deal Fanatic
Nov 23, 2005
7986 posts
3762 upvotes
It def would not apply. ALthough the sticker was under a wrong product, it would have still had the right product description on it along with the barcode.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7161 posts
817 upvotes
Toronto
Not the First time denied SCOP at Metro.

Price of Miracle Whip scanned incorrectly as $5.99 when it was $3.99 on the shelf. Cashier gives attitude that she guarantees that it's not the price I say.

She goes to the shelf and brings the tag back to her superior. She decides to give it at the lower price. This is my normal experience at Metro instead of giving it for free under SCOP.

I ask her about SCOP. She said SCOP does not apply because I did not buy multiples. She said I would have gotten the first one free and the others at the reduced price. I asked her if she was sure about this as I know the SCOP rules states that if it's one item and under $10 it should be free. She said yes she was sure that her way was correct.Lol

No sense arguing as other people in line and only cashier on a Saturday night.

Too bad no recourse except not to shop there anymore. Returned last Friday and different cashier leaves to go sell lotteries keeping me waiting for couple minutes.

This Stockyards location is closest to my home but won't be returning.

A positive SCOP story I witnessed at Freshco Bloor and Dundas where the cashier immediately gave the cheese to the customer for free although the customer knew nothing about SCOP.

When I spoke to the cashier, she said it was good customer service in being honest and not cheating customers so they return. Kudos to her.
Jan 2, 2016
4 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto, ON
For those of you that worry about the line behind you when trying to use the SCOP, this is what I do...
If I hear someone huffing or complaining behind me, I very politely mention the scanning code of practice, that this item should be free, (or $10 off) and that I'm not leaving without it.
And follow with this: "If you'd like to give me the $3.99 +tax out of your own pocket then I'd be happy to pay for the item and leave now, however, I won't be paying for it today, so either you or the store will be."
Not much they can say to that. Especially if you are polite.
Jan 30, 2013
191 posts
43 upvotes
PositiveGamma wrote:
Aug 26th, 2016 1:36 am
For those of you that worry about the line behind you when trying to use the SCOP, this is what I do...
If I hear someone huffing or complaining behind me, I very politely mention the scanning code of practice, that this item should be free, (or $10 off) and that I'm not leaving without it.
And follow with this: "If you'd like to give me the $3.99 +tax out of your own pocket then I'd be happy to pay for the item and leave now, however, I won't be paying for it today, so either you or the store will be."
Not much they can say to that. Especially if you are polite.
If someone is worried about upsetting other customers go to customer service if the store has a customer service to do the SCOP.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2005
1640 posts
28 upvotes
Mississauga
Was at No Frills today and two of the items (same product, different flavour) I bought were on sale but scanned in at regular price. She sent someone to check with someone else and confirmed they should be scanned as lower price. I asked if I could get one item for free and the cashier said no as SCOP does not apply if the item is in their flyer.

I did not want to argue with her and went to the customer service and asked if it is a new policy. The cashier then yelled across the floor "don't give it to her for free. It is not free. I already told her the item is in the flyer so it is not free. Cxx the manager said that two days ago. It is not free".

My question are:
- Is it true if the item is in the flyer, then SCOP does not apply?
- If SCOP should applies, does the free item (under $10) apply to one of the two items only or both items since they have two different barcodes (sort of the same product but different flavour)?
Jan 30, 2013
191 posts
43 upvotes
ayeung wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 5:18 pm
Was at No Frills today and two of the items (same product, different flavour) I bought were on sale but scanned in at regular price. She sent someone to check with someone else and confirmed they should be scanned as lower price. I asked if I could get one item for free and the cashier said no as SCOP does not apply if the item is in their flyer.

I did not want to argue with her and went to the customer service and asked if it is a new policy. The cashier then yelled across the floor "don't give it to her for free. It is not free. I already told her the item is in the flyer so it is not free. Cxx the manager said that two days ago. It is not free".

My question are:
- Is it true if the item is in the flyer, then SCOP does not apply?
- If SCOP should applies, does the free item (under $10) apply to one of the two items only or both items since they have two different barcodes (sort of the same product but different flavour)?
SCOP does apply to flyer advertised items.SCOP would apply on each item since they have a different bar codes.