[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 25th, 2017 7:54 pm
Jan 30, 2013
158 posts
30 upvotes
ayeung wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2016 5:18 pm
Was at No Frills today and two of the items (same product, different flavour) I bought were on sale but scanned in at regular price. She sent someone to check with someone else and confirmed they should be scanned as lower price. I asked if I could get one item for free and the cashier said no as SCOP does not apply if the item is in their flyer.

I did not want to argue with her and went to the customer service and asked if it is a new policy. The cashier then yelled across the floor "don't give it to her for free. It is not free. I already told her the item is in the flyer so it is not free. Cxx the manager said that two days ago. It is not free".

My question are:
- Is it true if the item is in the flyer, then SCOP does not apply?
- If SCOP should applies, does the free item (under $10) apply to one of the two items only or both items since they have two different barcodes (sort of the same product but different flavour)?
SCOP does apply to flyer advertised items.SCOP would apply on each item since they have a different bar codes.
May 31, 2015
50 posts
13 upvotes
Swan River, MB
Has anyone here successfully complained to the Retail Council and had a favorable / any outcome?

How long did it take?
Deal Guru
Dec 30, 2004
12444 posts
660 upvotes
Toronto
I was pointed out by a manager that SCOP doesn't apply if there is an expiry date on the price label...(eg the Shoppers Brushheads Expiry: Nov 20, but price tag still up today (Nov 22))

She showed me RCC text/email that states this [forgot to take picture of it], however I can't find it on their website. Thoughts?
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
12432 posts
2710 upvotes
belfour wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 7:07 pm
I was pointed out by a manager that SCOP doesn't apply if there is an expiry date on the price label...(eg the Shoppers Brushheads Expiry: Nov 20, but price tag still up today (Nov 22))

She showed me RCC text/email that states this [forgot to take picture of it], however I can't find it on their website. Thoughts?
Never been held to that, i've used SCOP on prices they forgot to change, if its in big bright numbers but rings up a higher price then its covered afaik
Contact the SCOP brass and ask?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1649 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
I love the SCOP. In the last year, I have got at least $100 worth of items for free. I think I even shook up the management at my local No Frills because they kept making mistakes.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9569 posts
2762 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Yesterday I was shaking my head at the high price of cauliflower (again--remember $10 last winter?) in the Valu-Mart flyer at $3.99. As I passed through the produce section I noticed the price indicated on the display was $3.49. So I picked up a head, paid $3.99 at the checkout and then did an immediate SCOP. A minute later I've got a refund on the $3.99 and I'm out the door with free cauliflower.
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
Jan 30, 2013
158 posts
30 upvotes
Tapt58 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2016 3:17 am
Has anyone here successfully complained to the Retail Council and had a favorable / any outcome?

How long did it take?
Only a few days.
Jan 30, 2013
158 posts
30 upvotes
belfour wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 7:07 pm

I phoned them about this and you are entitled to a SCOP.
Feb 1, 2006
703 posts
81 upvotes
My experience with SCOP is that you always have to ask (fight) for it and the cashiers never offer it when they admit there is a scanning error. They will just change the price to the lower price on the shelf. When you ask for SCOP they will often either 1. Give you attitude 2. Give you some stupid excuse why you don't qualify or 3. Tell you it has to be done at Customer Service.

I recently had a SCOP situation at Superstore self checkout. When I first told the cashier about the price difference I said "I get $10 off if the price is found to be wrong, right?" (it was a $15 item) and she said "yes".

Another employee confirmed that there was a price error over the phone and the self-checkout cashier just corrected the price to $15. I said "I thought you just said it would be $10 off?" and she said "The supervisor over the phone told me to just change to the price to $15." WTF? Not only do they not offer it upfront when they're wrong but even if I confirm the SCOP they still don't give it to me? Give me a break! Then she says you'll have to pay for it and then go to CS to get the SCOP.

I gird myself for a fight everytime I have to do SCOP. The cashiers, really, really don't want to give it and will give you any stupid excuse they can think of. What's the big deal? The money's not coming out of their pocket and the policy is very clear.
Feb 1, 2006
703 posts
81 upvotes
tvwatcher wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 10:44 am
oddly, the FAQ says it doesn't apply if there is an expiry date on the shelf label

http://www.retailcouncil.org/sites/defa ... sumers.pdf
That's quite BS as all the major stores will be putting the expiry date of their weekly sales on their shelf labels now. We'll continue getting a lot of scanning errors as incompetent staff do not take down the weekly sales and won't be able to SCOP them. We'll have to settle for getting the shelf label price I guess?
Feb 1, 2006
703 posts
81 upvotes
Obviously everyone has to decide for themselves if SCOP is worth it for them.

Based on all of my negative experiences I take a deep breath before doing SCOP because I know they will try to fight and deny me. I know that a negative cashier while SCOPping can definitely have a negative effect on my mood that day.
Apr 25, 2011
119 posts
23 upvotes
minimalist wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 4:44 pm
That's quite BS as all the major stores will be putting the expiry date of their weekly sales on their shelf labels now. We'll continue getting a lot of scanning errors as incompetent staff do not take down the weekly sales and won't be able to SCOP them. We'll have to settle for getting the shelf label price I guess?
All the major stores already do have expiry dates on their sale stickers. How else would they know when to take them down? It may not be noticeable to a regular shopper, but as someone who used to take them down/put them up, it is fairly obvious they are on there.
Feb 1, 2006
703 posts
81 upvotes
ticky wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 3:36 pm
All the major stores already do have expiry dates on their sale stickers. How else would they know when to take them down? It may not be noticeable to a regular shopper, but as someone who used to take them down/put them up, it is fairly obvious they are on there.
I know that they serve a purpose but I'm just saying that they're a way for stores to weasel out of granting SCOP because SCOP is not supposed to apply if there's an expiry date on the shelf label.

I don't think this policy accords with the intention of the SCOP policy. Ie, how many people are going to check each shelf label with a magnifying glass to check the expiry? People look at the price and toss the product into their cart. If they're overcharged at the register ethics would dictate they should get it for free (less than $10) in the spirit of SCOP, small print expiry date or not.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
9569 posts
2762 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
minimalist wrote:
Dec 9th, 2016 12:39 pm
I don't think this policy accords with the intention of the SCOP policy. Ie, how many people are going to check each shelf label with a magnifying glass to check the expiry? People look at the price and toss the product into their cart. If they're overcharged at the register ethics would dictate they should get it for free (less than $10) in the spirit of SCOP, small print expiry date or not.
Moreover, people who SCOP expired deals based on the shelf signs are actually providing a service to the store; they're advising them that someone forgot to remove the sign or replace it with an updated one. IMO the cost of the item, usually a lot less than $10, is a small price to pay for that service. (I'm assuming that after the first SCOP on that item someone in the store goes to the shelf and yanks the expired sign. If they don't do that then the store deserves to get SCOPed multiple times.)
veni, vidi, Visa

Help me boost my Downvote count. Please click 👎 below. Thank you.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel