[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2017 12:31 pm
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2009
3444 posts
4326 upvotes
Ontario
informally, I'm aware that store staff at one grocery chain get worried if an instore yellow price sign that is expired is still up when a customer notices their purchase rings up at a higher price. The dept managers apparently don't like such situations. So now I check the signs for dates first and decide if I still want the product if it's not on sale.
Surfing 2017.😎 Summer contest slump.
Jul 23, 2015
367 posts
127 upvotes
Walmart cashier today tried telling me the policy only applies to $15 items or more...I asked if that was new found the little scop sticker (half peeled off the counter) and got my item free ( for the 5th time in about 4 months, must be really hard to change a tag?) Smiling Face With Open Mouth I love scop
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
38722 posts
8509 upvotes
So I was perusing my local Longos flyer (mailer) and they have a huge price error on Brita filters and pitchers. The website flyer shows $16.99 and my physical flyer shows $2.99. Will Longos honor SCOP if they have the right price up online but not on my copy of the flyer?

Which stores should I be visiting for price match opportunities? I understand only No Frills and Fresh Co PM's. Will RCSS or other retailers PM this flyer pricing error?
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1921 posts
2316 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
alanbrenton wrote:
Jan 14th, 2017 8:04 pm
So I was perusing my local Longos flyer (mailer) and they have a huge price error on Brita filters and pitchers. The website flyer shows $16.99 and my physical flyer shows $2.99. Will Longos honor SCOP if they have the right price up online but not on my copy of the flyer?

Which stores should I be visiting for price match opportunities? I understand only No Frills and Fresh Co PM's. Will RCSS or other retailers PM this flyer pricing error?
Per the SCOP website:
2.0 CORRECTION OF ERRORS

2.1 Once a scanner pricing error is brought to the attention of the retailer, appropriate steps should be taken as quickly as possible to correct the source of the error.

2.2 When a retailer cannot immediately correct a scanning error in respect of a product, it will post a correction notice in a conspicuous place. Once such a notice has been posted, the Item Free Scanner Policy is no longer in effect in respect of the relevant product.
Source: http://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy

If you go to Longos and they don't have said correction notice posted, you are likely the first one to bring it to there attention. They should honour the typo for the first item with your physical flyer.

As for PM'ing, I'm sure many places have some sort of disclaimer for their PM policy to exclude pricing errors.

PS. I just checked Flipp and the price is showing $16.99 for either the pitcher or the 3 pack filters. FYI.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
38722 posts
8509 upvotes
When I saw the $2.99 on the physical flyer I kinda figured it was a price error. Will try my luck tomorrow. :)
Jul 23, 2015
367 posts
127 upvotes
SCOP'ed some sweet potatoes from Freshco the other day, sign at one pile said 79cents per lb (as in the flyer) but another pile had 75cents per lb. Should have loaded the cart with them but I was reasonable instead :(
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2014
1322 posts
219 upvotes
Brampton
Was at Walmart today - wheat thins whole grains flavor price tag shows 2.24, but scans at 2.47. Took a pic and showed it to the cashier. Some a**hat was in hurry and getting impatient when the cashier wanted to verify the price tag in person / through an associate. He started saying "omg, can't believe people are haggling for 25 cents" and told the cashier that he'll just give 25 cents to keep the line moving.

I kept my calm and waited for the cashier to verify the price . After verifying the price, she changed the price to 2.24, but I told her it should be free. She finally gave it for free, but the guy behind me starTed making more remarks, but I didn't even make eye contact and left store.

What would you have done? Would you have been embarrassed in this situation ?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
2533 posts
570 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
ambujakshi wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 5:40 pm
Was at Walmart today - wheat thins whole grains flavor price tag shows 2.24, but scans at 2.47. Took a pic and showed it to the cashier. Some a**hat was in hurry and getting impatient when the cashier wanted to verify the price tag in person / through an associate. He started saying "omg, can't believe people are haggling for 25 cents" and told the cashier that he'll just give 25 cents to keep the line moving.

I kept my calm and waited for the cashier to verify the price . After verifying the price, she changed the price to 2.24, but I told her it should be free. She finally gave it for free, but the guy behind me starTed making more remarks, but I didn't even make eye contact and left store.

I'd go slower.. :-)

"Oh, tell me more about that great walmart mastercard... "
Jul 23, 2015
367 posts
127 upvotes
b0ne wrote:
Feb 5th, 2017 5:52 pm
I'd go slower.. :-)

"Oh, tell me more about that great walmart mastercard... "
Same. Impatient people are able to go to another cashier.
Jan 30, 2013
164 posts
33 upvotes
ambujakshi wrote:

I wouldn't be embarrassed it's the person making remarks who should be embarrassed at his childish behavior.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
1921 posts
2316 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
ambujakshi wrote:
He started saying "omg, can't believe people are haggling for 25 cents" and told the cashier that he'll just give 25 cents to keep the line moving.
I would indirectly educate him by loudly saying to the clerk so that he overhears: "Thank you very much for the FREE item" .
Feb 7, 2017
753 posts
402 upvotes
trystee wrote:
Feb 6th, 2017 8:04 pm
I would indirectly educate him by loudly saying to the clerk so that he overhears: "Thank you very much for the FREE item" .
This.

Plus as it was an item below the threshold (WHY you got it for FREE)... I might have added (looking in his direction) "Under the code, it was a good thing for Walmart it wasn't a more expensive item eh ?"
Banned
Feb 27, 2017
58 posts
8 upvotes
this was definitely a valid scop. the sku on the display tag matches the item and there was not a price sticker on the actual item
Dec 6, 2005
400 posts
74 upvotes
Can I go back to the store with the receipt and get the item free? I was vaguely aware of this, and too distracted with my young daughter at the time, but it was a $8 item that rang up at $10. I should have gotten it for free, but a price override was done. There were 2 items that rang up more actually. I understand I can get one free. This just happened today.
Jan 30, 2013
164 posts
33 upvotes
kayden wrote:
Mar 13th, 2017 4:12 pm
Can I go back to the store with the receipt and get the item free? I was vaguely aware of this, and too distracted with my young daughter at the time, but it was a $8 item that rang up at $10. I should have gotten it for free, but a price override was done. There were 2 items that rang up more actually. I understand I can get one free. This just happened today.
Go back to the store and ask for SCOP.If they don't give it to you cal the SCOP toll free number.