Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 10:51 pm
Nov 26, 2016
45 posts
2 upvotes
I went to costco today. Pants were on sale for 12.97. Went to the cash and the price said 33 dollars. They got a cashier to check the price and came back and said I was right and told the other cashier to charge me 12.97. I was going to mention the price scan error code but I didn't bother. Could I have done this? Can I go back and get the pants for 2:97$+ tax assuming they didn't fix it yet?

Thanks
Jan 30, 2013
177 posts
40 upvotes
ronnielarmond wrote:
Mar 18th, 2017 7:32 pm
I went to costco today. Pants were on sale for 12.97. Went to the cash and the price said 33 dollars. They got a cashier to check the price and came back and said I was right and told the other cashier to charge me 12.97. I was going to mention the price scan error code but I didn't bother. Could I have done this? Can I go back and get the pants for 2:97$+ tax assuming they didn't fix it yet?

Thanks
Yes you could go back if it's not fixed.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
10929 posts
1488 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Was at Walmart customer service desk. The multi-buy savings on salad didn't show up on receipt. Clerk offered me the multi-buy price, so I had to chime in with, "But what about SCOP?" Tsk tsk.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Becks wrote:
Apr 21st, 2017 5:39 am
Was at Walmart customer service desk. The multi-buy savings on salad didn't show up on receipt. Clerk offered me the multi-buy price, so I had to chime in with, "But what about SCOP?" Tsk tsk.
It is very rare to find a cashier who automatically applies SCOP free (or $10 off)...usually they just change the price to what you tell them. But the policy states they are supposed to do it automatically.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7831 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
Question, SCOPE is entirely based on whether the store decides to use it? I just got back from SuperValu grocery store. Two items rang in the till wrong. She gave me the sale price . I mentioned scope. She claims that store never participated. She also claims Safeway stopped doing this recently.
Dec 27, 2013
849 posts
192 upvotes
Winnipeg
trellaine201 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2017 5:02 pm
Question, SCOPE is entirely based on whether the store decides to use it? I just got back from SuperValu grocery store. Two items rang in the till wrong. She gave me the sale price . I mentioned scope. She claims that store never participated. She also claims Safeway stopped doing this recently.
http://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy

Canada Safeway Limited is still on the list. Not sure who owns SuperValu.. and, yes, a store can decide not to participate.. in turn, you can decide not to shop there :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7831 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
LOL :) thanks for the info. And yes I'm not sure who owns super valu. Maybe independent owners? I should have the left the two items.

Found this: Loblaw Companies Limited (through its Westfair Foods division) supplies Super Valu stores and owns the Super Valu name.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
1111 posts
180 upvotes
Bought a bottle a wine at RCSS here in BC and it scanned higher than was posted, $8.99 vs $8.59.

I asked about SCOP and cashier told me that it does not apply to alcohol. I checked the SCOP guidelines and did not see any mention of alcohol being excluded. Has anyone done SCOP with alcohol? Since liquor stores don't seem to be participating I guess it would have to be at a participating grocery store that also sells alcohol.

Since I was rejected at the store I have left a voicemail at the SCOP offices.
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
minimalist wrote:
May 4th, 2017 6:30 pm
Since I was rejected at the store I have left a voicemail at the SCOP offices.
Thanks for calling, I'm interested to know what they say, can't say I've ever had the problem with alcohol. My last 2 scanner inaccuracies have been lower than posted...I almost would prefer it to be the other way so I get it for free.
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Love SCOP and stores that apply it properly without a fight like this store.
Images
  • 20170508_151026.jpg
Nov 26, 2005
733 posts
1076 upvotes
Help! I just came back from Sobeys and bought 1.705 kg of Organic Green Cabbage scanned in at $6.59 /kg ($11.24) but Shelf price was $4.39 / kg which comes out to $7.48. Cashier checked with head Manager and she told me I'll give you one pound free? She only gave me 1 lb = 0.450 kg (=-$2.97) instead of the full 1.705 kg @ 4.39 /kg free ($7.48). She said that's what it says in her "books"? Should I get the full -$7.48 free instead of minus $2.97 . If yes then they owe me $4.51. I've never heard of this one pound free. This is how it looked on my reciept: Produce Item Return -$2.97(for the one lb free at the scanned higher price) then +$7.48 for the shelf price. Sorry for the rant..
Jan 30, 2013
177 posts
40 upvotes
Aling wrote:
Jun 25th, 2017 8:54 pm
Help! I just came back from Sobeys and bought 1.705 kg of Organic Green Cabbage scanned in at $6.59 /kg ($11.24) but Shelf price was $4.39 / kg which comes out to $7.48. Cashier checked with head Manager and she told me I'll give you one pound free? She only gave me 1 lb = 0.450 kg (=-$2.97) instead of the full 1.705 kg @ 4.39 /kg free ($7.48). She said that's what it says in her "books"? Should I get the full -$7.48 free instead of minus $2.97 . If yes then they owe me $4.51. I've never heard of this one pound free. This is how it looked on my reciept: Produce Item Return -$2.97(for the one lb free at the scanned higher price) then +$7.48 for the shelf price. Sorry for the rant..
It's first item free not first one lb free.Phone the Scanning Code of Practice number to complain 18664994599.
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Just wanted to say how much I love SCOP. I've gotten something free on my last 3 shopping trips. 2lb carrot, vegan sausages, green pepper...tried it once at Goodness Me! But they don't participate Expressionless Face
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4649 posts
408 upvotes
So was in Loblaws today and wanted some taco kits , they had a big display of old El Paso kits at 3.99 ...not the cheapest but was in the store anyway. Got to self checkout and price comes up as 5.29 so I advise the " csm" and she sends someone to check. He brings back the sign that says old El Paso taco kits at 3.99, however the barcode was 1 digit different from my kit. Now all the kits on the display were the same as mine. The csm says she can only offer me the lower price as the barcode is different. I said I wouldn't buy the product at that point. Are Loblaws correct in their procedures?
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.