Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 10:51 pm
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 24, 2002
4649 posts
408 upvotes
Avenger wrote:
Jul 6th, 2017 6:16 pm
Did you refer to the code? What did it say?
The code says if a price doesn't match the shelf price and is under $10 it should be free, but Loblaws were saying the barcodes didn't match ( the sign did and the product on the shelf matched what I was trying to buy)
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!


I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Member
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Just hadve to share this one - item scanned at 7.99, shelf sticker says 5.99...cashier didn't want to do the SCOP free item as it was express lane and manager was busy (even though code states cashier has the authority to do it), I said ok I'll go to customer service desk no problem. I got the item free plus $2 extra as they refunded the scanned price. Love getting paid to take groceries home ☺
Member
Apr 28, 2017
210 posts
109 upvotes
I worked in retail for years. While this is technically policy, most stores won't honour this practice
Member
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
User381785 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 1:28 pm
I worked in retail for years. While this is technically policy, most stores won't honour this practice
As someone who gets something SCOP/Free almost every shopping trip I think you are wrong. If they have the sign posted.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Feb 8, 2014
13307 posts
3282 upvotes
Toronto
Nibbler2012 wrote:
Jul 16th, 2017 9:52 pm
something SCOP/Free almost every shopping trip
how do you manage this?
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Member
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Quentin5 wrote:
Jul 19th, 2017 5:28 pm
how do you manage this?
Combination of luck, checking/remembering the price on the shelf, reading the shelf tags for sale dates, checking BB dates, watching screen during scanning/checking receipt and of course poor training/careless employees
Newbie
Jan 13, 2017
14 posts
12 upvotes
At Shoppers Drug Mart, the cashier always acts like she doesn't know what you're talking about when a price comes up wrong on the scan. I say "Oh, then I get it free?" ANd the cashier laughs. This happened to me every time the price was wrong. Then I have to point to their Scanning COde of Practice sign and they still try to pretend that they don't know.
Does this happen with everyone else too?
Member
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
niagarashopper wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:10 am
At Shoppers Drug Mart, the cashier always acts like she doesn't know what you're talking about when a price comes up wrong on the scan. I say "Oh, then I get it free?" ANd the cashier laughs. This happened to me every time the price was wrong. Then I have to point to their Scanning COde of Practice sign and they still try to pretend that they don't know.
Does this happen with everyone else too?
Yes.

I usually play along and let them change the price and see if they do as supposed to (by the code) and give it free. Very rarely do they do it automatically. I point to the sign...they say they need a manager (code says cashier has authority) and we wait for a manager who comes and gives it free. I will always go with them when checking the shelf price in case they try to change it. If I have lots of time I'll tell cashier i can do it at customer service desk if the manager is busy.

When I was trained as a cashier....I was put with another cashier and when I was asking them about the SCOP they didn't know/said we just change the price and they trailed off when I pointed out the customer should get it free.

It's not the cashier's fault so don't get mad at minimum wage employees. It is the companies who don't train properly and try to get away with it.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
10291 posts
3188 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Nibbler2012 wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 9:48 am
It's not the cashier's fault so don't get mad at minimum wage employees. It is the companies who don't train properly and try to get away with it.
I suspect it could be any number of things
1. Cashier may not have been trained at all in SCOP.
2. Cashier may have been trained improperly.
3. Management may have put pressure on cashiers to play ignorant, deny SCOP unless the customer is persistent, etc. in an effort to reduce SCOP-based losses.
4. Cashier may be in a hurry, e.g. long line, doesn't want to wait for manager approval, etc. and takes path of least resistance.

Some of that is the cashier's fault, some is management's and some is a combination of the two.
veni, vidi, Visa
Newbie
Jan 13, 2017
14 posts
12 upvotes
I did suspect that they're trained to pretend they don't know. That's very dishonest. Dishonest of the ones training and also of the cashier that pretends to not know.

I usually tell them what the scanning code of practice is, even tho I know they know. And then they magically know how to give the item free.

The reason why it's so dishonest is because the companies that have agreed to be part of the SCOP program, they did it to show customers that they are a company that acts in good faith....meaning, that when they advertise a special price, that they will actually sell it for that price. The participation in the program is voluntary.

You say that it is not the cashier's fault, well it is not at all the customers' fault. The customer is the innocent party 100%.

My mother is very old. She shops at the store beside her because it's closest and unfortunately that store is: Valumart .

Almost everytime she shops, she doesn't get the advertised flyer price and she doesn't even watch the scanning because she is clueless. But she gets home and wonders why her bill was higher than she budgeted for. Then she sees she was overcharged. It makes her feel really bad. It makes her feel cheated. She takes it personally because she is old and it also hurts her financially because she has to budget everything strictly because she is poor. And it physically takes a lot out of her to go shopping, she doesn't drive, so it's not like she can easily just go back to the store to have it corrected.

I wonder how many seniors are affected this way? Very sad. (And yes I do take my mom shopping to other stores when I am there, but I live so far, I drive hours to do this, and can only come every 3 weeks or so.)

This was a thing that used to happen often, way in the past, on purpose. Stores would advertise sale prices but purposely not sell the items at the sale price. This SCOP was born to show the customer that participating stores are not like the other stores. That when they advertise a price, the customer can be sure that they will get that price.

So when the cashier pretends to not know about the wrongly scanned item being free, it's an insult to the customer, and again, it is very dishonest.

From listening to other people, Shoppers Drugmart is notorious for not scanning correctly and for pretending they don't know what SCOP is.
Member
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
niagarashopper wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 11:47 am
You say that it is not the cashier's fault, well it is not at all the customers' fault. The customer is the innocent party 100%.
Nowhere did I say it's the customer's fault. I was never trained to be ignorant of SCOP, but the person training me was most likely ignorant of SCOP. It's up the the customer (unfortunately in some cases the customer may not be able to 'know' that they are being overcharged) to bring up the discrepancy.
Member
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just went shopping at 401 Games in Toronto.

The game, 7 Wonders had a sticker on it for 37.99. It was on a shelf with a few others all listed at 59.99

I took it to the register and they refused to honour the 37.99. Said it was priced wrong and that the loss they would take would be to significant, so they wouldn't honour that price.

I questioned about the SCOP, and he just kept refusing.

Was I in the wrong? If no, what should I, or would you do?

Thanks,
Member
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I have called and left a voicemail with Retail Council of Canada @ 1-866-499-4599 stating my name, number, store, product & listed price/scanner price.

Don't know if I should be expecting a call back or not.

Thanks
Member
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ah, Thanks PizzaPlanetTruck!

Didn't know stores had to participate.

Thanks, upvoted.

ps. SWEET username! haha

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)