Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 10:51 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
4649 posts
408 upvotes
Theres also usually signage in the store, don't expect to see it in mom and pops store from http://canadianbudgetbinder.com/2012/09 ... in-canada/

Almost every major retailer in Canada participates in SCOP (Rexall and Zellers are not scanning code of practice participants, except in Quebec where it is law that all stores participate).
If the SCOP sign or logos do not appear on the store doors or register, and the store name appears on this list, they participate in SCOP.
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378

WENGER IN!!!!

I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, ON
OK, good to know!

So I was correct, however, the store must be participating and its not an actual law (except in Quebec)

Thanks all!
Feb 27, 2015
476 posts
196 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Just received a call from Retail Council of Canada,

They said the store wasn't participating in the SCOP.

Good to know for in the future.

Admin - Close Thread
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7839 posts
2716 upvotes
Toronto
If it was, you get $10 off the sale price. If the item was selling for the sale price of $10 under, you get it for free.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 3, 2013
254 posts
143 upvotes
BC
Hah, I run into this all the time... Rule #1, check to make sure the store is participating before you raise a fuss! I'm always frantically google-ing to find out on my phone after I realize I've been charged the wrong price.

Anyway, lesson learned, glad you got your question answered.
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13307 posts
3282 upvotes
Toronto
PizzaPlanetTruck wrote:
Jul 21st, 2017 1:38 pm
SCOP is a voluntary program by retailers. Basically, if they have the sticker at the check-out, they participate. If not, they don't have to honour it.

A list of participating retailers is found here:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy
I notice Lowes is not on that list Angry Face
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
May 23, 2008
735 posts
314 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
niagarashopper wrote:
Jul 20th, 2017 8:10 am
At Shoppers Drug Mart, the cashier always acts like she doesn't know what you're talking about when a price comes up wrong on the scan. I say "Oh, then I get it free?" ANd the cashier laughs. This happened to me every time the price was wrong. Then I have to point to their Scanning COde of Practice sign and they still try to pretend that they don't know.
Does this happen with everyone else too?
Realistically, the cashier probably laughs because they have to hear that joke several times a day; they probably don't realize you're referencing the SCOP until you point it out. When I was a cashier at Canadian Tire back in my teenage years, every time an item was missing a barcode or the barcode wouldn't scan, some comedic genius would say, "That means it's free, ha ha!" and then get snippy if you didn't laugh at their hilarious joke.

I always mention the SCOP by name; the cashier is on "polite small talk" autopilot otherwise and isn't going to notice what you're talking about. They think you're making a bad joke, not referencing a policy.
Nov 27, 2004
685 posts
60 upvotes
....but you have to have PAID before stores will honour it, thus you sometimes have to go back thru the cash (or worse, the customer service booth)
Jan 13, 2017
14 posts
12 upvotes
Big Shooter wrote:
Jul 27th, 2017 10:10 am
....but you have to have PAID before stores will honour it, thus you sometimes have to go back thru the cash (or worse, the customer service booth)
What? No, you do not "have to have paid". You watch the prices at the cash, as they are being scanned. When you see the sale item scan for a higher price, you tell the employee and the employee has to correct it right then and there giving $10 off the item, or if the item is under $10, the employee enters $0 as the price, then she or he continues scanning the other stuff.
Nov 27, 2004
685 posts
60 upvotes
niagarashopper wrote:
Jul 29th, 2017 6:15 pm
What? No, you do not "have to have paid". You watch the prices at the cash, as they are being scanned. When you see the sale item scan for a higher price, you tell the employee and the employee has to correct it right then and there giving $10 off the item, or if the item is under $10, the employee enters $0 as the price, then she or he continues scanning the other stuff.
Most employees (cashiers) do not have the Authority to change the price, thus while sending you over to Customer Service, where there may be a long line, the company doesn't have to offer the SCOP.
Jan 13, 2017
14 posts
12 upvotes
Big Shooter wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 4:06 pm
Most employees (cashiers) do not have the Authority to change the price, thus while sending you over to Customer Service, where there may be a long line, the company doesn't have to offer the SCOP.
I don't know where you're getting your information from, but it's wrong.
Stores that are participating in SCOP have already agreed to "offer" it. They can't pick and choose moments where they will follow SCOP or not. Lol. I have never been sent to Customer Service to get the item free... the cashier does it.
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Big Shooter wrote:
Jul 31st, 2017 4:06 pm
Policy specifically states cashier has authority
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2004
2973 posts
592 upvotes
Edmonton
I've had pretty good luck at London Drugs with SCOP.. the cashiers seem to know immediately and no problem correcting the price. But walmart, and other stores it does seem to be a battle at times. If they have the sign displayed, then I'll make a stink until they honor it. But really, if it's a long lineup and you're holding it up for this, it's frustrating.

And as others have said, it's fine to be redirected to customer service but then you've already paid, and depending the lineup there can be long. If it's only a few dollars it's usually not worth waiting.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2009
4699 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
Nibbler2012 wrote:
Aug 1st, 2017 5:32 pm
Policy specifically states cashier has authority
I always thought section 7 on the SCOP policy is wishy washy. Section 7.1 as you said rarely happens that clean. Section 7.4 gives the retailer too much discretion and very vague.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Jul 23, 2015
402 posts
155 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
No Frills wrote:
Aug 6th, 2017 8:03 pm
I always thought section 7 on the SCOP policy is wishy washy. Section 7.1 as you said rarely happens that clean. Section 7.4 gives the retailer too much discretion and very vague.
The reason they call the manager is to cover their (the cashiers) own butts when they get audited on their tills.