• Dec 15th, 2017 10:27 am
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13665 posts
3416 upvotes
Toronto
KellyM133398 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:23 am
Wow. It's like insurance companies' deny, deny, deny strategy. Good to know though. That will give me the incentive to stand my ground no matter how clueless a cashier might be acting. "SCOP please. You've never heard of it? You need to call a manager? That's ok. I can wait......"
Indeed.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Apr 10, 2011
615 posts
227 upvotes
Vancouver
Lately, I've had a bunch of stores put the wrong shelf sign or label on an item. For example, a big sign saying $4.99 and in very tiny letters indicating a different item. This has happened at No Frills, Whole Foods and Walmart.

By the way, we're not talking about one item that's been misplaced. We're talking a whole fully packed shelf with a big bold sign.

People in those cases were buying tons of the item. Each time, when I got to the register, I said hey that's not the right price. They eventually gave me the price and left the sign for more buyers to keep buying tons if the product. Sometimes they'd even put 2 or 3 in their cart.

If it's the wrong description, at best they'll give you that price but never give you the item for free. I'm not sure if the stores did it on purpose, but they benefited massively from it with 20 times the normal sales.

Ikea was the only one that tore up the old sign immediately.

I'm not saying they should have given the item for free but to knowingly let the practice continue till the next printing time is really shady business.

Those people were duped into buying something that they wouldn't have normally done.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2280 posts
536 upvotes
is Quebec very strict about SCOP or this is Ontario thing? I recently purchased some item in Gatineau. Ticket price was $20 but somehow when cashier scanned it, it showed $22, so the total with tax was like $25. I thought Quebec has higher tax so didn't pay much attention till I walked out and looked at the receipt. So I went back and complained about the price error. cashier said only manager has permission to fix the price and she was on break, so I must wait. I waited for 10 minutes and got p*ssed, I just demanded a refund, so I can leave. Cashier again said only manager can do the refund :facepalm: I asked what if someone walked in for a refund and what if your manager just left for lunch break? customer will have to wait for an hour? Anyhow, luckily for me she came out like few minutes after. I was going to ask for my money back, but she just somehow credited me $10 and only charged $10 + tax (of $20 I suppose). I didn't even protest or bring up the SCOP, she just did it automatically. That was a surprise getting this from a non grocery retail store
Jul 23, 2015
417 posts
157 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mkl38s wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 6:25 pm
is Quebec very strict about SCOP or this is Ontario thing? I recently purchased some item in Gatineau. Ticket price was $20 but somehow when cashier scanned it, it showed $22, so the total with tax was like $25. I thought Quebec has higher tax so didn't pay much attention till I walked out and looked at the receipt. So I went back and complained about the price error. cashier said only manager has permission to fix the price and she was on break, so I must wait. I waited for 10 minutes and got p*ssed, I just demanded a refund, so I can leave. Cashier again said only manager can do the refund :facepalm: I asked what if someone walked in for a refund and what if your manager just left for lunch break? customer will have to wait for an hour? Anyhow, luckily for me she came out like few minutes after. I was going to ask for my money back, but she just somehow credited me $10 and only charged $10 + tax (of $20 I suppose). I didn't even protest or bring up the SCOP, she just did it automatically. That was a surprise getting this from a non grocery retail store
Not from Quebec but I believe SCOP doesn't exist there as it is actually law and all retailers must follow it. I think the rules are fairly close to what we have in Ontario though, in terms of free and $10 off items over $10.