Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 12:40 am
Mar 15, 2013
333 posts
127 upvotes
Fredericton
Does anyone know if the LCBO follows SCOP? I tried once and they replied that they do not follow it and just corrected the price. TIA.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12775 posts
5207 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gmoney506 wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 9:58 am
Does anyone know if the LCBO follows SCOP?
Nope. Scanner Price Accuracy Code.

And why would they join SCOP? <sarcasm>After all, if you don't like how they do business you can always switch to the competition (assuming all you drink is cheap wine and beer.)</sarcasm>
veni, vidi, Visa
Mar 15, 2013
333 posts
127 upvotes
Fredericton
bylo wrote:
Nov 13th, 2017 10:55 am
Nope. Scanner Price Accuracy Code.

And why would they join SCOP? <sarcasm>After all, if you don't like how they do business you can always switch to the competition (assuming all you drink is cheap wine and beer.)</sarcasm>
Must have still been sleeping. Lol. SPAC.
Nov 22, 2017
16 posts
2 upvotes
USA, Colorado
every store I've been to claim they either know nothing about it or they aren't a member of the code. In general, it's been a waste of time for me.
The future is bulletproof, the aftermarth is secondary (c)
Jul 23, 2015
484 posts
229 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Nibbler2012 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 5:20 pm
Today I had 2 flavours of the same item scan wrong, but cashier didn't agree that both should be free under SCOP. I'm pretty sure since there are 2 UPCs then both are free...complain to store or to retail council first??
Sherlock115 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2017 11:03 pm
Since the products have 2 different UPC you should have definitely have got both free.First contact the store then if you can't get it resolved phone the toll free SCOP number.
This worked out even better, the store manager emailed me and then sent a $10 gift card. The original item was 1.29.

Today got some tomatoes and plum sauce free thanks to SCOP/SCAP (whatever you want to call it). Savings of ~$8
Jul 23, 2015
484 posts
229 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
NeonSun wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 5:58 pm
every store I've been to claim they either know nothing about it or they aren't a member of the code. In general, it's been a waste of time for me.
I have probably gotten over 100 items for free over the years thanks to SCOP/SCAP.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12775 posts
5207 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
NeonSun wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2017 5:58 pm
A lot of cashiers will play dumb either because it's a hassle to get a manager to approve the transaction or because they really are ignorant about SCOP. If you carry a smartphone use mbmbkop's link to Retail Council to verify that the store participates in SCOP and, if necessary, to show them the rules.

I had fun at WalMart a few days ago. As I was putting my purchase into my backpack I overheard the next customer request a tube of toothpaste for free under SCOP. The cashier said she didn't know if she could do that. She claimed all she could do was give the guy the lower price. I chimed in and said, "Yup, it's under $10. You have to give it to him for free." The look on her face was priceless, as was the grin on the guy's face.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3844 posts
3931 upvotes
I was in Loblaws and the product scanned higher than on the shelf. The CSR agreed it is $10 off because of SCOP. Since the correct/shelf price is $10, so I should get it for free. However, they insisted to use the original/scanned price calculating the SCOP, not the lowest price. What a joke and they even told me that this is what has been doing. I told them that if you do that, customer may pay higher price than without the SCOP. SCOP is used to punish the retailer, not customer. Then I ask them to read the rule which is located on every cashier desk. They still need to call manager for approval. Eventually the manager told them on the phone to give it to me.

Imagine a product's correct price is $10, but the scanned price is $30.
(1) Without the SCOP, I will still only pay $10 with the manual adjustment
(2) With the SCOP and if they use the original/scanned price, I need to pay $30 - $10 = $20 (What a joke if they always did that to customer !!!). I didn't realize that Loblaws is using SCOP to earn more money from customer.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1573 posts
476 upvotes
Winnipeg
lcmt wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:27 pm
I was in Loblaws and the product scanned higher than on the shelf. The CSR agreed it is $10 off because of SCOP. Since the correct/shelf price is $10, so I should get it for free. However, they insisted to use the original/scanned price calculating the SCOP, not the lowest price. What a joke and they even told me that this is what has been doing. I told them that if you do that, customer may pay higher price than without the SCOP. SCOP is used to punish the retailer, not customer. Then I ask them to read the rule which is located on every cashier desk. They still need to call manager for approval. Eventually the manager told them on the phone to give it to me.

Imagine a product's correct price is $10, but the scanned price is $30.
(1) Without the SCOP, I will still only pay $10 with the manual adjustment
(2) With the SCOP and if they use the original/scanned price, I need to pay $30 - $10 = $20 (What a joke if they always did that to customer !!!). I didn't realize that Loblaws is using SCOP to earn more money from customer.
I learned a long time ago that if you set the bar for "there can't be anybody even more stupid than this" eventually somebody will lower it.

I wish SCOP had a stipulation on what should happen if a store tries to weasel out of applying SCOP properly (like tripling a refund or something). Either that CSR that you dealt with was completely incompetent or, perhaps more likely, was feeding you BS because he/she/the store had nothing to lose by trying not to issue the full refund.
Deal Guru
Jan 7, 2002
12775 posts
5207 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
lcmt wrote:
Nov 29th, 2017 10:27 pm
I was in Loblaws and the product scanned higher than on the shelf. The CSR agreed it is $10 off because of SCOP. Since the correct/shelf price is $10, so I should get it for free. However, they insisted to use the original/scanned price calculating the SCOP, not the lowest price.
If you really want to change things rather than just vent on RFD then contact Loblaws customer service, explain what happened and suggest they need to do a better job of educating their store management. Basically repeat what you posted here on https://www.loblaws.ca/contact-us.

If that fails then go to the media. The CBC's GoPublic seems to be doing a good job of exposing this sort of ineptitude, if not outright fraud, to a national audience.
I didn't realize that Loblaws is using SCOP to earn more money from customer.
I very much doubt it's the chain itself, i.e. they've deliberately trained staff to abuse SCOP. It's probably just some overzealous store manager who's running a grocery store because he flunked grade 5 reading comprehension ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
3844 posts
3931 upvotes
Since everyone can make mistakes, I will give them once more chance. However, repeating the same mistake will not be acceptable. At this time, at least the store manager doesn't disagree with me. If problem happens again, at least I can escalate to the store manager.

Although Loblaws may not be intentionally teaching the staff to abuse using the SCOP, it is still Loblaws responsibility to ensure each staff understand the concept and rules of the SCOP completely. At least the customer desk staffs, supervisor and store manager should have clear understand of SCOP.
bylo wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 7:58 am
If you really want to change things rather than just vent on RFD then contact Loblaws customer service, explain what happened and suggest they need to do a better job of educating their store management. Basically repeat what you posted here on https://www.loblaws.ca/contact-us.

If that fails then go to the media. The CBC's GoPublic seems to be doing a good job of exposing this sort of ineptitude, if not outright fraud, to a national audience.

I very much doubt it's the chain itself, i.e. they've deliberately trained staff to abuse SCOP. It's probably just some overzealous store manager who's running a grocery store because he flunked grade 5 reading comprehension ;)
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14614 posts
4079 upvotes
Was at no frills, item rang higher, i mentioned cashier lowered it, i said what about SCOP and first one free, she tried to play dumb, then asked for manager then finally said i don't want to hold up the line, i'll give you the one free (which she was able to do no problem and no manager). The receipt even says scan code free so its not like she didn't know how to do it.
All was well but it just shows they don't like the SCOP.
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy
Sep 9, 2017
644 posts
338 upvotes
Winnipeg
Quentin5 wrote:
Nov 30th, 2017 10:32 pm
Was at no frills, item rang higher, i mentioned cashier lowered it, i said what about SCOP and first one free, she tried to play dumb, then asked for manager then finally said i don't want to hold up the line, i'll give you the one free (which she was able to do no problem and no manager). The receipt even says scan code free so its not like she didn't know how to do it.
All was well but it just shows they don't like the SCOP.
Wow. It's like insurance companies' deny, deny, deny strategy. Good to know though. That will give me the incentive to stand my ground no matter how clueless a cashier might be acting. "SCOP please. You've never heard of it? You need to call a manager? That's ok. I can wait......"
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
14614 posts
4079 upvotes
KellyM133398 wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 12:23 am
Wow. It's like insurance companies' deny, deny, deny strategy. Good to know though. That will give me the incentive to stand my ground no matter how clueless a cashier might be acting. "SCOP please. You've never heard of it? You need to call a manager? That's ok. I can wait......"
Indeed.
General Zod for Premier would have been less evil then the other guy