Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2018 12:40 am
Apr 10, 2011
799 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
Lately, I've had a bunch of stores put the wrong shelf sign or label on an item. For example, a big sign saying $4.99 and in very tiny letters indicating a different item. This has happened at No Frills, Whole Foods and Walmart.

By the way, we're not talking about one item that's been misplaced. We're talking a whole fully packed shelf with a big bold sign.

People in those cases were buying tons of the item. Each time, when I got to the register, I said hey that's not the right price. They eventually gave me the price and left the sign for more buyers to keep buying tons if the product. Sometimes they'd even put 2 or 3 in their cart.

If it's the wrong description, at best they'll give you that price but never give you the item for free. I'm not sure if the stores did it on purpose, but they benefited massively from it with 20 times the normal sales.

Ikea was the only one that tore up the old sign immediately.

I'm not saying they should have given the item for free but to knowingly let the practice continue till the next printing time is really shady business.

Those people were duped into buying something that they wouldn't have normally done.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2014
2734 posts
728 upvotes
is Quebec very strict about SCOP or this is Ontario thing? I recently purchased some item in Gatineau. Ticket price was $20 but somehow when cashier scanned it, it showed $22, so the total with tax was like $25. I thought Quebec has higher tax so didn't pay much attention till I walked out and looked at the receipt. So I went back and complained about the price error. cashier said only manager has permission to fix the price and she was on break, so I must wait. I waited for 10 minutes and got p*ssed, I just demanded a refund, so I can leave. Cashier again said only manager can do the refund :facepalm: I asked what if someone walked in for a refund and what if your manager just left for lunch break? customer will have to wait for an hour? Anyhow, luckily for me she came out like few minutes after. I was going to ask for my money back, but she just somehow credited me $10 and only charged $10 + tax (of $20 I suppose). I didn't even protest or bring up the SCOP, she just did it automatically. That was a surprise getting this from a non grocery retail store
Jul 23, 2015
480 posts
226 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mkl38s wrote:
Dec 12th, 2017 6:25 pm
is Quebec very strict about SCOP or this is Ontario thing? I recently purchased some item in Gatineau. Ticket price was $20 but somehow when cashier scanned it, it showed $22, so the total with tax was like $25. I thought Quebec has higher tax so didn't pay much attention till I walked out and looked at the receipt. So I went back and complained about the price error. cashier said only manager has permission to fix the price and she was on break, so I must wait. I waited for 10 minutes and got p*ssed, I just demanded a refund, so I can leave. Cashier again said only manager can do the refund :facepalm: I asked what if someone walked in for a refund and what if your manager just left for lunch break? customer will have to wait for an hour? Anyhow, luckily for me she came out like few minutes after. I was going to ask for my money back, but she just somehow credited me $10 and only charged $10 + tax (of $20 I suppose). I didn't even protest or bring up the SCOP, she just did it automatically. That was a surprise getting this from a non grocery retail store
Not from Quebec but I believe SCOP doesn't exist there as it is actually law and all retailers must follow it. I think the rules are fairly close to what we have in Ontario though, in terms of free and $10 off items over $10.
Dec 25, 2013
2 posts
2 upvotes
Calgary
I just ran into this at Wal-Mart in Calgary on boxing day. I bought an item that was in the flier at $6.97 and the price marked on the shelf was $7.50. It was a large item (68L Roughneck Tote). The shelf was actually a display aisle about 40 feet long with red totes stacked floor to ceiling in a very prominent location, with large bold signs proclaiming $7.50 above every stack of totes. The item scanned at $7.50. I did not know about the SCOP, but I did know the flier price was the law, so I took the item to customer service to get the price corrected, and I bought a few other items in the same transaction. The clerk checked the flier, verified my claim, rang up my purchases, and then said "You got that item for free". So Kudos to Wal-Mart for playing by the rules, even when the customer does not know the rules!

I went back that afternoon, every large price sign had been changed to $6.97, and the item scanned at that price. (Royal Oak Wal-Mart)

In contrast, a Blue-Ray video that was on sale for $7.97 was still on the shelf marked at $15.00. (None to be found in the boxing day sale bin by the time I got there, clerk said there were a few earlier in the day) Checked the web site, it showed none in stock at any store in Calgary. The same item on the shelf as what was in the sale bin earlier, marked at $15.00, scanned at the correct price $7.97. So happy because the ones in the bin had been cleaned out, presumably being priced correctly at the boxing day sale price.

Takeaway: On boxing day, a lot of prices shift, and these changes need to be made by human-beings account the SCOP rules about price labels. Humans are fallible. Profit from the mistakes of others, the SCOP, and label change friction on boxing day!!
Feb 9, 2003
121 posts
61 upvotes
YMMV $5.97 for 48 AA Defiant batteries at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.alka ... 35188.html

Looks like the scanned price of the 48 pack to $16.98, however the price on the cardboard
display is still showing last year's price of $15.97. The usual objections to give the SCOP price,
but after showing them the posted cards for SCOP, they sold the pack for $5.97.

I found these at Montreal, L'Acadie store.
Jun 1, 2006
724 posts
157 upvotes
Mississauga
YMMV
Two different Walmarts (Sherway, South Common Mall) have the Keurig Donut Collection Variety Box K-Cup 40 count marked on the shelf for $14.88
SCM had a skid in the middle of walking area priced at $14.88 but $16.88 in the grocery area.
Sherway scanned at $18.97 while SCM scanned at $16.88.

I had to go to customer service to get the SCOP discount because the cashier was clueless.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11594 posts
1654 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Recently, the RCSS advertised a sale on their 5lb navel oranges in their flyer and on the shelf. At the store, it rang up a higher price and I got SCOP on it. However, when I went to another RCSS, there was a huge sign over the oranges consistent with the higher price and no correction notice. Can I just point to the flyer's advertised price to get the SCOP?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Crazy people will make even sane people crazy.
Jan 30, 2013
196 posts
46 upvotes
Becks wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 4:08 pm
Recently, the RCSS advertised a sale on their 5lb navel oranges in their flyer and on the shelf. At the store, it rang up a higher price and I got SCOP on it. However, when I went to another RCSS, there was a huge sign over the oranges consistent with the higher price and no correction notice. Can I just point to the flyer's advertised price to get the SCOP?
Best pay for it.Then get the SCOP at customer service.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2008
2285 posts
607 upvotes
Does SCOP apply to an online price not matching an in-store scanned price? I'm looking at a tool from home depot. Online it says $168 but shelf tag and scan price is $169. Is this worth a $10 discount?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
4290 posts
889 upvotes
Alberta
ALLCAPS wrote:
Jul 26th, 2016 2:03 pm
SCOP does not apply because the advertised or displayed price is not for that item, however it could be argued that it if the tag was beneath a section of the shelf featuring all of the other product of the same kind you purchased, that was the displayed price. If you'd spoken with the manager on duty they may have been prepared to do something but they don't strictly have to. I would have just returned the candy. :)
X2. But, if it was me I wouldn’t have even bothered going back to see if they would SCOP it. For $0.98 it would have cost me more in gas to go there. Plus time and wear and tear on the vehicle.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
3847 posts
362 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
SizzleChest wrote:
Feb 6th, 2018 11:30 pm
Does SCOP apply to an online price not matching an in-store scanned price? I'm looking at a tool from home depot. Online it says $168 but shelf tag and scan price is $169. Is this worth a $10 discount?
If shelf tag and scan price match, there is no SCOP
On-line prices are often different than in-store prices
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1520 posts
440 upvotes
Winnipeg
Was purchasing some kids slippers at Walmart a few days ago. Regular price $14.95, but there was a yellow sticker "Now $5.00" on the actual item (no posted prices on the shelf). The item scanned at $9.00, and I was told that SCOP does not apply because... something about ticketed price vs stickers, etc. :) Is that true? No SCOP in cases like that?
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
10988 posts
3382 upvotes
Toronto, ON
mbmbkop wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:31 pm
Was purchasing some kids slippers at Walmart a few days ago. Regular price $14.95, but there was a yellow sticker "Now $5.00" on the actual item (no posted prices on the shelf). The item scanned at $9.00, and I was told that SCOP does not apply because... something about ticketed price vs stickers, etc. :) Is that true? No SCOP in cases like that?
See the FAQ in the first post:
17 - An item has a bar code, but also a price written on it, or a price sticker. Does the SCOP apply?

No, the SCOP does not apply to an item with a price on it, even if it also has a bar code [Pamphlet].
Jul 23, 2015
480 posts
226 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
mbmbkop wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 11:31 pm
SCOP might not apply, but I think you should only pay $5 (the lowest marked price).
Jul 23, 2015
480 posts
226 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
Sherlock115 wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 4:16 pm
Best pay for it.Then get the SCOP at customer service.
I think it's best to do any SCOP or haggling before you pay, if you give them your money, you're going to be fighting to get it back rather than having them trying to get it from you.