• Dec 3rd, 2018 8:05 pm
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18048 posts
1571 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Raident wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 11:57 pm
I went to Superstore today. The flyer has Swiffer sweeper refills dry 32 ct for $4.98 but the shelf showed $9.98, so I decided to try and see if I could get it for free.

Ultimately, after some discussion, price checking and all around confusion I was only half successful - customer service honored the $4.98 price, but no freebie for me.

I know how it works when the scanned price and the shelf price don’t match up, but how is it supposed to work when the shelf price and the scanned price match, but the flyer price is lower?
It's supposed to work the way it did work. You're only entitled to a freebie if the price on the shelf is lower than the price it scans in at assuming the price difference isn't more than $10 and there is no actual price tag on the item.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2596 posts
1514 upvotes
The NORTH
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:04 am
It's supposed to work the way it did work. You're only entitled to a freebie if the price on the shelf is lower than the price it scans in at assuming the price difference isn't more than $10 and there is no actual price tag on the item.
this
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
3221 posts
1117 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
Should be free if $4.98 in the flyer, and rings up at $9.98 at the cashier. The price on the shelf doesn't matter.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 15th, 2018 12:04 am
Sorry, but you are wrong!
Read the very first section of the code:
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the correct price.
https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
b0ne wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:45 am
Should be free if $4.98 in the flyer, and rings up at $9.98 at the cashier. The price on the shelf doesn't matter.
That is correct!
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
d0m056 wrote:
Sep 13th, 2018 3:36 pm
I recently tried to buy an item at a clothing store that was on sale. It scanned at full price. The cashier went and got the sign and said sorry the sale was last week and did not honor the price. In very tiny fine print the last weeks date were printed on the sign.

I did not buy the item. So my question is can I still get the sale price under SCOP if the sale sign mentions validity dates?
If the clothing store followed SCOP (which I doubt) you would have been entitled to the advertised price less $10.-
The SCOP rules on the Retail Council website doesn't cover the "ad with validity date that has expired" situation, but that question has come up several times before and the Retail Council confirmed that SCOP applies in that case.
If the store does not follow SCOP, you are still entitled to purchase the item at the sale price since the store didn't notice the error and immediately removed the sign themselves.
Jul 7, 2013
72 posts
131 upvotes
Amongst other things, I bought a red Sheppard pepper at Farm Boy and noticed when I was walking out it was $4: literally 10x the price of what it should have been because the wrong code had been used. So I mentioned it to a cashier who just finished with a customer and had no one in his queue, he had a "in training" label on and couldn't figure out how to do the refund. He phoned over for an Asst Mgr, who ignored his question about whether I should get a full refund, and she ignored him and told him to just give me the difference.

Farm Boy just got bought today by Sobey's: hopefully FB will soon learn what this Scan Policy actually is, and implement it properly...FB only adopted this policy in the last couple of years too!

cheers,
:)
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
klamchowder wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 7:44 pm
Farm Boy just got bought today by Sobey's: hopefully FB will soon learn what this Scan Policy actually is, and implement it properly...FB only adopted this policy in the last couple of years too!
Hmmmm.......
If there was a code on the pepper and the cashier typed it in incorrectly - SCOP does not apply.
All you are entitled to is to pay the actual advertised price.
Jul 7, 2013
72 posts
131 upvotes
Aha! I thought if you were charged incorrectly, the SCOP applied. But I understand now - it's only if the PLU is priced incorrectly...so I will have to closely watch the register monitors now...thx!

cheers,
:)
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18048 posts
1571 upvotes
Niagara Falls
krs wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 9:43 pm
Sorry, but you are wrong!
Read the very first section of the code:

https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy
I don't think I am wrong, I mean I could be, but as I read it the store followed the rules. You skipped the part of what the code is for. If the scanned price is higher than the advertised price the customer will get the lower advertised price or get the item for free if less than $10, however in this case the product scanned lower than the shelf price and scanned at the exact price of the advertised price.
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the correct price.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
4531 posts
537 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 11:13 pm
I don't think I am wrong, I mean I could be, but as I read it the store followed the rules. You skipped the part of what the code is for. If the scanned price is higher than the advertised price the customer will get the lower advertised price or get the item for free if less than $10, however in this case the product scanned lower than the shelf price and scanned at the exact price of the advertised price.
The original post was this:
I went to Superstore today. The flyer has Swiffer sweeper refills dry 32 ct for $4.98 but the shelf showed $9.98, so I decided to try and see if I could get it for free.

Ultimately, after some discussion, price checking and all around confusion I was only half successful - customer service honored the $4.98 price, but no freebie for me.

I know how it works when the scanned price and the shelf price don’t match up, but how is it supposed to work when the shelf price and the scanned price match, but the flyer price is lower?
Based on the bolded part above, I read this that the shelf price tag was $9.98 and the item scanned at $9.98 but the ad showed the price at $4.98
In that case SCOP applies

You have read the post that the shelf tag was $9.98 but the item scanned at $4.98 which was also the ad price, ie $4.98 - in that case SCOP does not apply.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18048 posts
1571 upvotes
Niagara Falls
krs wrote:
Sep 24th, 2018 11:44 pm
The original post was this:

Based on the bolded part above, I read this that the shelf price tag was $9.98 and the item scanned at $9.98 but the ad showed the price at $4.98
In that case SCOP applies

You have read the post that the shelf tag was $9.98 but the item scanned at $4.98 which was also the ad price, ie $4.98 - in that case SCOP does not apply.
It would appear you were indeed correct and I mis-read the post. I retract my reply to you.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2015
2067 posts
646 upvotes
Ontario
I think i accidentally got SCOP applied.

Pie has price on it/scanned at $9. Store sale tag said $6. Difference in prices was before today is new sale and yesterday the pie was made with old $9 price.

I took a pic of the $6 tag and asked to get that at cashier. Manager went and checked and came back with $6 tag, scanned it at $6 and gave it free even though it shouldnt apply since there was a price tag printed on the pie
Dec 11, 2014
37 posts
3 upvotes
St. Catharines, ON
Did anyone try to file a Complaint with Retail Council of Canada about any violation of Scanner Price Accuracy Code not honored by a store or supermarket chain? They post a phone number 1-866-499-4599, I tried a couple of time, but they never replied. It sounds all voluntary by store, and no enforcement from RTC.