Shopping Discussion

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2024 10:05 am
Deal Fanatic
Nov 19, 2015
7296 posts
71700 upvotes
trellaine201 wrote: Ohhh ok thank u. But I don’t see No Frills on the list?
Participants in the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code
Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers, Neighbourhood Pharmacy Association of Canada, and, Retail Council of Canada members supporting the Scanner Price Accuracy Code:

Best Buy
Bulkley Valley Wholesale
Canadian Tire
Co-op Atlantic
Costco Wholesale Canada
Federated Co-operatives Limited
Giant Tiger Stores
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and ON only)
The Harry Watson Group
The Home Depot Canada

Home Hardware (2 Ontario stores)
Lawton Drug Stores
Loblaw Companies Limited
London Drugs
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
Lovell Drugs
Metro Inc.
Overwaitea Foods
Pharmasave (BC stores)
PriceSmart Foods

Rona
Safeway
Save-On-Foods
Shoppers Drug Mart
Sobeys
The North West Company
Thrifty Foods
Toys”R”Us
Urban Fare
Walmart Canada
IGA
Fresh St. Market
Oct 30, 2022
71 posts
151 upvotes
PEI
shoppingguy wrote: SCOP added a statement that waters down the entire code. The cashier was right due to the change in the code.

New SCOP.PNG;

This statement, "The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided that the regular price is on the label or signage" essential voids the majority of times that SCOP will apply at Shoppers Drug Mart. All sale labels at Shoppers Drug Mart contain an end date. This statement means that SCOP only applies to the regular price of the item which is the ticker or shelf label price that is referenced by the cashier. Since you showed the cashier a sale label with an end date, this means that SCOP does not apply.

This is a sneaky change that means that SCOP is really just a policy that will rarely ever apply. There is no incentive for Shoppers Drug Mart stores to remove sale labels. The Shoppers Drug Mart Supervisor/Store Manager also told me that will not even honor the sale price on the sale sticker since the date said it ended and they have no obligation to honour it and this is the corporate decision not just at store level.

SCOP.png

Here is an old version of the SCOP code for reference which included sale pricing errors. In essence SCOP is no longer a useful protection for consumers and another marketing gimmick. SCOP scrubbed the internet of this old version.
Wow, so basically SCOP might as well not exist - they just have to make sure they put the sale date on it. This combined with e-ink price tags that can update on timers basically makes SCOP de facto useless.
"Numou". (he/him)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11768 upvotes
GTA
Impfox wrote: Wow, so basically SCOP might as well not exist - they just have to make sure they put the sale date on it. This combined with e-ink price tags that can update on timers basically makes SCOP de facto useless.
SCOP can still be used when the sale is active and the price scans higher even with a date on the label. This change just means it can't be used on items they just forgot/didn't bother to remove the old sales tag from the shelf when it has an expiry date on it. People can easily check the expiry and realize that the sale is over before they buy those items. It's when there's no expiry date printed that people have no idea that the item isn't on sale. I got free carrots a few months ago because they forgot to remove the sale price the day after the sale ended and there was no expiry date on the shelf label.
Jul 28, 2008
436 posts
80 upvotes
do they have to honour this? Cause NoFrills South Oshawa refused
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
4686 posts
24766 upvotes
Canada
davka wrote: do they have to honour this? Cause NoFrills South Oshawa refused
I think it should have qualified for SCOP since there was no regular price printed on the price sign.

The store is using this line in the new SCOP statement, "The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided that the regular price is on the label or signage", to avoid honoring SCOP. However I do not see a regular price on the sign.
Feb 9, 2021
110 posts
99 upvotes
Ottawa
shoppingguy wrote: I think it should have qualified for SCOP since there was no regular price printed on the price sign.

The store is using this line in the new SCOP statement, "The Code does not apply where sale dates are printed on a shelf label or signage and the sale has expired, provided that the regular price is on the label or signage", to avoid honoring SCOP. However I do not see a regular price on the sign.
I wonder if they might argue that while the regular price is not explicitly stated, it can be inferred to be $3.69 ($2.33 sale price + discount of $1.36).
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2006
4686 posts
24766 upvotes
Canada
HockeyOne wrote: I wonder if they might argue that while the regular price is not explicitly stated, it can be inferred to be $3.69 ($2.33 sale price + discount of $1.36).
I agree, this price sign is a massive grey area. I think it would be best to escalate it to the Retail Council of Canada, to file a complaint under the Scanner Price Accuracy Code, please contact: 1-866-499-4599.

Link: https://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-p ... racy-code/

Shoppers Tag.JPG

With the Shoppers Drug Mart price labels, it always states the actual regular price. So the can always deny SCOP if the price label is left up after the sale.
Sep 16, 2007
851 posts
426 upvotes
Ancaster
HockeyOne wrote: I wonder if they might argue that while the regular price is not explicitly stated, it can be inferred to be $3.69 ($2.33 sale price + discount of $1.36).
They could argue but they would be wrong. The regular price along with the sale price and ending date must be visible on the tag in order for them to deny SCOP. I would message the Retail Council and tell them that No Frills isn't following policy.
She/Her