• Nov 15th, 2019 4:28 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16634 posts
8985 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
krs wrote:
Aug 19th, 2019 12:30 pm
Isn't there some legal requirement that defines the minimum point size of text like that - I have seen expiry dates on shelf labels that are next to impossible to read.
Unfortunately not. That's why stores get away with signs that say "50% off" in huge type, pre-pended with "up to" in tiny type. Or "Buy one get one free" in huge type, appended with various conditions like "second item is the lesser price," again in tiny type.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5363 posts
845 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I just took a quick look through the SCOP Q&A's and noticed a few more changes

For instance, it says SCOP does not apply at gas stations.
I wonder why not?
The only "gas station" I see on the list would be the Canadian Tire gas station..so if I buy an item at the CTC gas staion SCOP does not apply, but when I buy the same items at the CTC store, it does?
What's the logic behind that?

The Q&A also states:
Do weighed items apply to the Scanner Price Accuracy Code?
No, only items that are scanned using a UPC are valid for the code.
But SCOP applies to PLU items which is how 'weight items' are usually priced at the cash.
There seems to be some conflict here.
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
1224 posts
601 upvotes
Went in this morning to buy some jack oil. The label on the shelf clearly marked 8.19 but it rang up 8.99 at the cash. Told the guy like 5 times the price is not what I see. Went back, took a picture and still he needed to call some guy in black shirt. Then went with the guy to the shelf and showed him. He took off the label and he went to the store manager. After a few minutes the black shirt guy and I go back to the cashier. They call for another girl to punch something un the register with her key. Took like 30 minutes to get the first bottle free and the second for 8.19.
How many people you need to get involved? Luckily it was early and didn't cause a lineup
Images
  • 20191103_090612.jpg
  • 20191103_114333.jpg
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2013
1379 posts
931 upvotes
Montreal
Last year I got oil for my snow blower and I had to use SCOP. Took 1 minute. It all depends on the location since all CT are franchised.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1732 posts
482 upvotes
A couple of times I made use of scop at CT and both times I was at the self checkout. The employee who was watching the self checkouts paged the manager. Guy in shirt and tie showed up about 5 minutes later, but went somewhere else nearby, not my checkout machine. He then disappeared for another 5 minutes, then finally came over and did a bunch of overrides on the machine. I don't know if it was deliberate and maybe they were hoping I'd say f it and just leave without the item, but yeah it was annoying. I don't do much shopping at CT anymore anyways. If I need anything tool wise, easier to go to Princess Auto.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
8000 posts
1645 upvotes
Got BIg Mountain burgers (vegan) at loblaws. Posted for $4.70, scanned in at reg 7.50. She was going to correct the price and I very quickly said they would be free, right? The amazing thing was, the self checkout cashier didn't argue or need to involve 5 other staff this time! She should have said free right away, but it is a huge improvement for loblaws.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2162 posts
1810 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I was at Walmart purchase something was $129, on sale for $79.
It was in flyers, and the yellow tag in the shelf said $79 as well. At cashier it scan $129.
I told her is $79, she told me whatever the system scan, that's the price.
I points out it is on flyers, and yellow tag st the shelf show $79. She continues to told me it doesn't matter, the price computer show is Final!

I pointed to the policy right at the cashier, and I am not even asking for additional $10 off, I am just asking for posted price.
nop, she told me "we don't follow that policy here......, What computer show is final, do you want it?"

I ask for manager, she told me manager is busy.
I insist talk to manager and I want extra $10 off at this point. Manager came and just said "now it is $69", problem solved.

Hate those front line worker making up their own shit.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
2162 posts
1810 upvotes
Richmond Hill
FreshCo is really good, point out the scanned price is wrong, she just told me "ok, so now it would be free" and just put in the credit.
Bright side of RFD: 4 X Koodo $40/8GB plan
Dark side of RFD: Tons of stuff that I don't need but still got them because of RFD
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5363 posts
845 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
cheapshopper wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2019 1:20 pm
Hate those front line worker making up their own shit.
In all fairness, this is probably a training issue.
Responsibility falls on the manager.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
18963 posts
2260 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I have had 2 SCOP in the last two weeks. First one was a Lowe's. Cashier didn't know what SCOP was but the manager fixed it right away, got a free extension cord splitter.

The following week at Canadian Tire a small level scanned in wrong. The cashier was going to just correct the price. I asked if CT participated in SCOP. her attitude changed right away but no issues getting that for free as well.

Nothing this week though. CCCCCCombo breaker.
Mar 24, 2018
23 posts
5 upvotes
I am not sure where to post so posting here.

Question about SCOP (Scanning Code of Practice)

I walk into a store and find out an item is scanning at a higher price than displayed. Took it to the cashier and got the item for free since it was less than $10. Later in the week while shopping I noticed that the store still did not fix the label of the item so got it again for free.
Technically, can I be able to do this once everyday till they correct the mistake?

Thanks
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20310 posts
4284 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Yes.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
16634 posts
8985 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
TheVillager wrote:
Nov 15th, 2019 9:23 am
I am not sure where to post so posting here.

Question about SCOP (Scanning Code of Practice)

I walk into a store and find out an item is scanning at a higher price than displayed. Took it to the cashier and got the item for free since it was less than $10. Later in the week while shopping I noticed that the store still did not fix the label of the item so got it again for free.
Technically, can I be able to do this once everyday till they correct the mistake?

Thanks
Yes AND I encourage you to do this as many times as you can.
1. You profit personally by getting these freebies.
2. You help others by "encouraging" the store to fix its checkout system ASAP, i.e. so as to reduce the number of times the store cheats others by charging them higher than advertised prices.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5363 posts
845 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
You are not abusing any rules - the store is cheating every one of their customers who pays the higher price that comes up at the register.

All the store has to do to prevent you from claiming SCOP is to fix their mistake.