Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 19th, 2019 1:02 pm
Sep 29, 2005
211 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
hmmm ya but it was lower because of the customer appreciation day sales which applies to both online and instore.
So technically they should honor the lower price which is 118 advertised on the site. so it would be 118 - 20% = 94.4 instead of 138 - 20% = 110.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2005
2090 posts
92 upvotes
It has more to do with shelf price/flyer price vs the scan price, not making sure the online price is the same as the in store price.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2004
2505 posts
143 upvotes
:D Got a deal today.

Microwave at Loblaws reg 69.99 on sale for 39.84 scanned at 53.84 (WTF??)
Pointed out scanning COC and got it for 29.84....Sweet.

This was Loblaws Centrum Kanata Ontario
Oct 23, 2005
1 posts
About a year ago I bought a clearance printer.The Item had been marked down from $150 to $49.99. However, there was no price on the actual item, just a sign on the shelf where the printer was.

When the cashier scanned it, it came to $69.99. The manager tried to claim that the SCOP doesn't apply because the item is on clearance and there is no way for there scanning system to know. However, I stood strong, and showed him the policy (posted as the register) and told him that the policy applies to all "non-ticketed" items. Clearly this item was non-ticketed, so the policy applied. It was only when I started asking for his name and supervisors name that he gave in.

So, don't give in if you are in the right.
Oct 30, 2005
187 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
I tried the SCOP for the first time at Sobeys without success. I bought a box of compliments ribs that was advertised as $9.99. It scanned as $11.99. I told the cashier that it should be $9.99 and she checked it and gave it to me for that price. Then I said "Shouldn't I get it for free?" She replied that it only applies AFTER I had purchased the item.

Just wanted confirmation on this? Does this practice only apply after the item has been purchased or should it have been given to me on the spot? If so, is there anything I can do about it now? Because on the receipt, it says $9.99 now so I don't know if it would work if I called the manager of the store to complain.
Dec 26, 2005
104 posts
Markham,ON
The discount should be given on the spot if the item is less than $10 then it should be free if it is over $10 then $10 off price of item.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5305 posts
810 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
You should have received the item for free -see 1.1a below.
Call the store manager - if he/she doesn't agree to refund your $9.99 lodge a complaint with the retail council; link in the very first post.
1. THE ITEM FREE SCANNER POLICY
Retailers will implement an Item Free Scanner Policy as follows:
1.1 On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout is higher than the price displayed in the store or than advertised by the store, the lower price will be honoured; and

(a) if the correct price of the product is $10 or less, the retailer will give the product to the customer free of charge; or
(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.
Deal Addict
May 11, 2004
3109 posts
1049 upvotes
Airdrie
Cyber0066 wrote:She replied that it only applies AFTER I had purchased the item.
She was wrong. Ridiculous to say that you must point out the store's error after you pay for the item for SCOp to come into effect.

That said, at Walmart/Superstore you are often better off paying the incorrect price & then going to customer service for a refund anyways because the cashier will not have a clue what you are talking about. I've had a couple of cashiers actually laugh when I say "So that should be free then" because they thought I was joking :lol:

Edit: KRS types faster than I do! but to highlight his quote:
On a claim being presented by the customer, where the scanned price of a product at checkout

not after checkout!
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7958 posts
1618 upvotes
Yes definitely complain to head office about that. If the cashier had known the error and corrected it on her own when it scanned higher then that is fine. If customer has to point it out then the code applies (obviously if that wasn't the case everyone would just pay before pointing it out, causing the store more hassle doing a refund). Its verrry likely if you complain you'll get more then the $10 :)

That was the same thing the clerk at FS pulled on me when I stopped her just before swiping my card. SHe argued and argued it didn't apply becuase I hadn't paid, but dropped that when she called somone to ask. But then the story changed to the price was for a different product :rolleyes: Just picked up the $20 giftcard offered for that today. Funny, I was trying to avoid getting it from the same clerk but they changed while I was in line and guess who it was. I'm not too impressed by manager telling me to take his email in to get the card instead of just mailing it. He had said it wouldn't be a problem but even with the same clerk who knew the email was about HER she had to call him to see if I was really supposed to get the card.

SOme of these underlings want to pull a power trip, thinking their doing the company a service saving the $10 when management has every intention it is to be followed. ALWAYS complain if there is a problem. Only twice I've used the code and both times a problem, kid at Food Basics called said I was "scamming the store" so I got $25 gift card for that one.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2005
1867 posts
116 upvotes
Just wanted some clarification...

I was at walmart and got something that scanned for 29.99, but the self price was $19.99. I told them the price was incorrect, walked around the store with an employee to show them the error and then they agree to give me the $10 discount. However, they applied the "discount" to the $29.99 so I ended up getting it for the shelf price anyways. My question is...should I have received the item for $9.99 instead? I felt like I spent 15 mins arguing for virtually nothing.

And no, I did not have to pay first. They applied the code "discount" prior to payment. Unfortunately, walmart registers don't have large screens for customers to review scanned prices..like how the grocery stores do. I knew the price was wrong because I was just buying that one thing.
Dec 4, 2005
236 posts
Mississauga
i know there have been a few people with a not so pleasent experience with the SCOP at superstore, but it's never been a problem for me. only one time did a 18 year old kid give me attitude about the code...but when he realised the mistake, he changed his tune.

i just don't get why education on SCOP is not included in job training?
Deal Addict
May 20, 2003
2864 posts
24 upvotes
myapple wrote:I was at walmart and got something that scanned for 29.99, but the self price was $19.99. I told them the price was incorrect, walked around the store with an employee to show them the error and then they agree to give me the $10 discount. However, they applied the "discount" to the $29.99 so I ended up getting it for the shelf price anyways. My question is...should I have received the item for $9.99 instead? I felt like I spent 15 mins arguing for virtually nothing.
That's wrong, according to this:

(b) if the correct price of the product is higher than $10, the retailer will give the customer a discount of $10 off the corrected price.
Dec 24, 2004
329 posts
3 upvotes
Patty wrote:Large container? Are you talking about bulk foods? If so then you are lucky. The last time I found a pricing error on their bulk foods I was told that the scanner code only applies to items which are scanned. Bulk foods are entered manually and do not apply.
i got the exact same response a coupla days back. the customer service women looked at me as if i was a real idiot too. i should've gotten their complaints # just for the attitude. :mad:
Oct 26, 2005
119 posts
2 upvotes
Shoppers Drug also has this code in effect...or they did when I worked there last year.

The funny thing with Shoppers is that if you looke at the red tags, and even the blue ones...at the bottom of the tags it tells you when the sale expires(either that or when it starts). So you basically know if you can get that deal or not.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2005
4142 posts
1 upvote
wc17 wrote:Shoppers Drug also has this code in effect...or they did when I worked there last year.

The funny thing with Shoppers is that if you looke at the red tags, and even the blue ones...at the bottom of the tags it tells you when the sale expires(either that or when it starts). So you basically know if you can get that deal or not.
Walmart also has that date on it too... I think all big department stores has it if you know how to correctly read the code.
Want some disappointment?
"That was easy!"

There are some things money can't buy, for the widest selection of these items, there is Stooples