• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2024 10:05 am
Apr 18, 2006
406 posts
72 upvotes
krs wrote: I'm glad to hear that!

When you wrote

I took you at your word.

But if you now say that the manager has no intention of keeping the shelf pricing accurate, well then he should be fired!
What kind of store is that where eventually all the shelf pricing will be wrong if they never adjust it because it's too expensive to do.

I'll try one more time and go a little slower for you.

The reason for SCOP is because stores don't want to put a price tag on every item in the store. If they did, they'd be re-tagging every time an item went on sale. They prefer to just stick a tag on the shelf with a UPC code.

The manager told us it's cheaper for them to just re-tag on the shelf, and give away free items via SCOP, than to be tagging and re-tagging every ITEM in the store.

Here's a tip when looking for SCOP items. Grape jelly will sell in the jelly aisle. Sometimes they also stick grape jelly in some other part of the store, for instance in the middle along the frozen pizza's etc. Just looks nice. Anyways, they'll stick the sale price on the shelf when it goes on sale. But my wife figured out the kids always forget to change the shelf tag in these areas when the sale ends. Should the manager be fired? Probably, especially when this works SO OFTEN.

Anyways re-read my posts and you'll see you and I have nothing to argue about. We're on the same side.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
asif9t9 wrote: The reason for SCOP is because stores don't want to put a price tag on every item in the store. If they did, they'd be re-tagging every time an item went on sale. They prefer to just stick a tag on the shelf with a UPC code.

You have the cart before the horse,
Shelf pricing was introduced a long time before SCOP. You seem to imply that SCOP was created to allow the implementation of shelf pricing.
There are many stores that do shelf pricing and have done for years that don't adhere to SCOP. SCOP is volunatry everywhere except Quebec.
Shelf pricing is what avoids having to re-tag every item when the price changes, not SCOP.
The manager told us it's cheaper for them to just re-tag on the shelf, and give away free items via SCOP, than to be tagging and re-tagging every ITEM in the store.
That doesn't make any sense. If the store re-tagged each shelf properly and at the proper time, they would never have to give anything away for free under SCOP. The whole idea of shelf pricing is to get rid of individual pricing so I don't see where with shelf pricing, individual pricing even gets in the picture.
And even with SCOP, the store doesn't have to re-tag the shelf price when an item goes on sale. SCOP only applies if the price that is rung in by the cash is higher than the shelf price.
So the price tag can be left at the regular price during a sale, that way it doesn't have to be changed when the sale is over. That way SCOP will never kick in.

Here's a tip when looking for SCOP items. Grape jelly will sell in the jelly aisle. Sometimes they also stick grape jelly in some other part of the store, for instance in the middle along the frozen pizza's etc. Just looks nice. Anyways, they'll stick the sale price on the shelf when it goes on sale. But my wife figured out the kids always forget to change the shelf tag in these areas when the sale ends. Should the manager be fired? Probably, especially when this works SO OFTEN.

Anyways re-read my posts and you'll see you and I have nothing to argue about. We're on the same side.[/quote]
Apr 18, 2006
406 posts
72 upvotes
krs wrote: You have the cart before the horse,
Shelf pricing was introduced a long time before SCOP. You seem to imply that SCOP was created to allow the implementation of shelf pricing.
There are many stores that do shelf pricing and have done for years that don't adhere to SCOP. SCOP is volunatry everywhere except Quebec.
Shelf pricing is what avoids having to re-tag every item when the price changes, not SCOP.

That doesn't make any sense. If the store re-tagged each shelf properly and at the proper time, they would never have to give anything away for free under SCOP. The whole idea of shelf pricing is to get rid of individual pricing so I don't see where with shelf pricing, individual pricing even gets in the picture.
And even with SCOP, the store doesn't have to re-tag the shelf price when an item goes on sale. SCOP only applies if the price that is rung in by the cash is higher than the shelf price.
So the price tag can be left at the regular price during a sale, that way it doesn't have to be changed when the sale is over. That way SCOP will never kick in.
Wow. Okay....

I did not imply whether SCOP was invented for shelf pricing or shelf pricing was invented for SCOP. In fact, who cares? Oh wait, maybe you were talking to that straw man over there.

And I absolutely treasure the bolded line above. lol So you think the manager purposely lets things get tagged incorrectly so they can give stuff away for free? Like...really???? That's what you're thinking??

Shelves are tagged incorrectly by accident!! The manager wants his people to put up the correct tags, but the kids in those departments don't. Not because they're told not to. But because they make a mistake. The manager told us he's okay with his people making occasional SCOP mistakes because it's cheaper than always re-tagging every item. He was just trying to explain to us why SCOP won't go away, and why he's okay with us doing what we do.

And yes, of course they could always leave a higher price on the shelf and not worry about SCOP. But then how would people know something went on sale?? Are you that......??

/rant :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
asif9t9 wrote: But then how would people know something went on sale?? Are you that......??
Advertisement?
Flyer?
Large sign that they can't overlook when the sale is over?

I don't walk down every aisle in a store looking for sales prices on the little shelf tags. I didn't think anyone does.

We're obviously on different planets, so I will just no longer participate in this fruitless discussion.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
asif9t9 wrote: The manager told us it's cheaper for them to just re-tag on the shelf, and give away free items via SCOP, than to be tagging and re-tagging every ITEM in the store.
Thats not how it works in a grocery store and the manager is full of himself.

Almost every day there are price increases and decreases in a grocery store. Every morning the label batch gets printed out and the labels get put up. On a normal day it wont take very long. When there is a new sale then there will be many pages of new labels. Some stores will put up the increases the night before to make it easier the next morning and the decreases the morning before the store opens. Not all items in the store get re-tagged.

The labor time it takes an employee to do the labels wont exceed the amount that they will be giving away via SCOP. If anything when an item is given away its an inconvenience in taking down the label and printing up the new label with the correct price (or changing the price back, whatever they want to do).
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Apr 18, 2006
406 posts
72 upvotes
No Frills wrote: Thats not how it works in a grocery store and the manager is full of himself.

Almost every day there are price increases and decreases in a grocery store. Every morning the label batch gets printed out and the labels get put up. On a normal day it wont take very long. When there is a new sale then there will be many pages of new labels. Some stores will put up the increases the night before to make it easier the next morning and the decreases the morning before the store opens. Not all items in the store get re-tagged.

The labor time it takes an employee to do the labels wont exceed the amount that they will be giving away via SCOP. If anything when an item is given away its an inconvenience in taking down the label and printing up the new label with the correct price (or changing the price back, whatever they want to do).

You are correct!!
[IMG]http://tuesdayafter.com/wp-content/uplo ... rawman.jpg[/IMG]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
ok, since you brought up the "straw man" twice, I must say you are going all over the place with "re-tagging everything"....lol

I think I know what you are getting at now....
asif9t9 wrote: Shelves are tagged incorrectly by accident!! The manager wants his people to put up the correct tags, but the kids in those departments don't. Not because they're told not to. But because they make a mistake. The manager told us he's okay with his people making occasional SCOP mistakes because it's cheaper than always re-tagging every item. He was just trying to explain to us why SCOP won't go away, and why he's okay with us doing what we do.
Yes, this is true. Tag errors happen all the time and they wont go away. If I owned a store this shouldnt be happening daily. Maybe 1-2 items a week on average depending on the size of the store. If the employees dont take down the old signs when they supposed to every time, then it is a problem and your wife is taking good advantage of their clumsiness at your local store and it seems they never worked to improve.

Where I worked the kids never put up the labels, unless they been there a while. Under normal circumstances the department managers did the labels. The reasons are obvious, the manager (in many cases) knows the products they carry the best and also knows where they merchandised the special displays.
Apr 18, 2006
406 posts
72 upvotes
No Frills wrote: ok, since you brought up the "straw man" twice, I must say you are going all over the place with "re-tagging everything"....lol

I think I know what you are getting at now....

Yes, this is true. Tag errors happen all the time and they wont go away. If I owned a store this shouldnt be happening daily. Maybe 1-2 items a week on average depending on the size of the store. If the employees dont take down the old signs when they supposed to every time, then it is a problem and your wife is taking good advantage of their clumsiness at your local store and it seems they never worked to improve.

Where I worked the kids never put up the labels, unless they been there a while. Under normal circumstances the department managers did the labels. The reasons are obvious, the manager (in many cases) knows the products they carry the best and also knows where they merchandised the special displays.

Thank you thank you thank you!! I felt like I was talking to a wall. But I understand typing in a forum isn't always the most clear way to communicate.

Listen, I'm the husband and I don't personally care to go looking for deals. My wife does. It's like a hobby for her. I find it completely funny and odd how she can always find these mis-labelled shelves. Even to the point where she doesn't grab everything she could grab for free, because she just doesn't want to overdo it. She will often get things we don't need, but then she gives it away to family or donates to the local shelter.

I work in business. I don't get how this store (and all the others my wife takes advantage of) continually operate like this. And here's a point my wife brought up yesterday, about how you could say she's "helping" everyone out. Grape jelly says $1.89 on the shelf. But the sign is wrong. It's actually no longer on sale and will ring up for $1.99. If someone pays attention, they will get the item for free. But how many people out there know about SCOP. Some people will probably just argue for $1.89. Most people won't even notice and will just pay $1.99. Think about it....people pick up the grape jelly only because it says it's on "sale" for $1.89. Then they walk out not knowing they paid $1.99. And this is just one small example. But my wife finds so many items, at ALL stores, mispriced.

I honestly felt like Dominion Fresh or Free stopped because of people like my wife. She was once searching for expired items and another shopper told her she was part of a "Fresh or Free" club (wth?). So I figured there must be other people who take advantage of SCOP the same way. I'm surprised to find out here that people don't. You guys just get excited over an occasional deal. Understand, I haven't bought a razor blade in over a year. Gillette whatevers, my wife picks up these necessary items for free so often, there are enough for me, and for her to give away to people and donate. If you guys are thinking there is one store with one incompetent manager, you're wrong. There are mispriced shelves all over.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
Absolutely, even the most organized and well ran stores will have some items mispriced. It has nothing to do with incompetence.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Grocery stores seem to be more cooperative about this than anything else. A few years ago, I ended up getting a free PS2 game because Superstore was selling a bunch of older ones for 10 bucks, down from 20. I got home and noticed I got charged the full amount, 20 bucks. I called up and they applogized and said to come in and they'll fix it. All I did was sign something and I got my money refunded, and the game for free because it was 10 bucks.

A&P(Cheapside & Adelaide) listed Hungry-Man Dinners as one price, but the scanned price came up as higher, basically they hadn't updated the sign yet. Every morning for about two weeks I managed to get a free one. Not too bad I say, they were great for lunches.

HMV, they were selling Simpsons season sets for 10 bucks off. I got charged the full amount. I went back to get it fixed but the manager was in full on ***** mode and said I'll only get the 10 dollars back for each one overcharged, and NOT a discount, despite there being a sign at the front. Out of spite, I just got a refund instead, and went to Wally World in the same mall.(White Oaks Mall)

Other times at Wally World (Argyle Store) they act completly ignorant to the existance of this and claim they have no clue what I'm talking about, despite there being a sign at the customer service desk. Or at least it was there at that time.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1226 posts
130 upvotes
Barrie/Toronto
As stated in one of the first posts from 2005, I have this happen ALL the time (price scans higher) and when I mention it the cashier always plays dumb & has no idea what I'm talking about when mentioning SCOP.

Usually I watch as the items are put on the screen & if I mention it while they are scanning, they say I have to PAY the higher price, then can be refunded, but since they corrected it BEFORE I paid, too bad for me. At least I get it at the right price, I guess.

I've never, out of the literal hundred times I've had something scan wrong, got anything for free. There's always a line behind me (with people glaring) and never a manager around. It's usually $2-3 items.

SO, I've stopped trying, it was a total waste of time for me. What can I do differently?!?
My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1215 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
catwalk wrote: What can I do differently?!?

Point to the SCOP "label" that SHOULD be displayed at/near the cash; if she/he has no idea, ask them to call a supervisor -- what do you mean there's never one around? SOMEONE must be in charge! WAIT for them to call that person. Who cares that there is a line up of people - they may learn something! It's YOUR $$ !! I'm sure THEY wouldn't want to be over-charged either But be prepared time-wise, this isn't a 2 minute activity especially if you need to "discuss" with the supervisor. Stick to your guns!
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1226 posts
130 upvotes
Barrie/Toronto
beripari wrote: Point to the SCOP "label" that SHOULD be displayed at/near the cash; if she/he has no idea, ask them to call a supervisor -- what do you mean there's never one around? SOMEONE must be in charge! WAIT for them to call that person. Who cares that there is a line up of people - they may learn something! It's YOUR $$ !! I'm sure THEY wouldn't want to be over-charged either But be prepared time-wise, this isn't a 2 minute activity especially if you need to "discuss" with the supervisor. Stick to your guns!
But do I have to wait, let the wrong price be scanned in, pay for it anyway, then stop everything & make them refund me?

Last week I bought a can of soup, on sale for $1.88. Rang up as $2.99. Told her the price was wrong & a sign said they were $1.88. She had a guy go check the price & he verified. I asked if I got it for free & she said "what? no, you get it for the sale price." & acted like I should be greatful for that.

Can they put in the SCOP practice during the same transaction, for sure?

If yes, I've been screwed out of hundreds of $ and corrected pricing for a LOT of items. This makes me mad.
My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2003
1578 posts
55 upvotes
Scarborough
catwalk wrote: But do I have to wait, let the wrong price be scanned in, pay for it anyway, then stop everything & make them refund me?

Last week I bought a can of soup, on sale for $1.88. Rang up as $2.99. Told her the price was wrong & a sign said they were $1.88. She had a guy go check the price & he verified. I asked if I got it for free & she said "what? no, you get it for the sale price." & acted like I should be greatful for that.

If yes, I've been screwed out of hundreds of $ and corrected pricing for a LOT of items. This makes me mad.

sorry to say but you really NEED TO GROW SOME ****s.

make them give you the product free. do not leave the line or cash until they do.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
vr6man25 wrote: sorry to say but you really NEED TO GROW SOME ****s.

make them give you the product free. do not leave the line or cash until they do.

^ +1

The answer is yes, many of those times you were probably entitled to the item free (or up to $10 off).

They *should* be able to do this at the till, however for simplicity sake and to not hold up lines, I tend to just pay the wrong price, then go on over to customer service desk and fight the fight there. Depending on the store sometimes they just honor it, and at others as you know by now they act like this is the first time they have ever heard of it, even if the sticker is right on the counter in front of them. They will try to only honor the lower price sometimes, or sometimes will tell you because they fixed the price at the till that it doesnt apply. Take my word on it, it DOES apply, even if they fixed the price to the displayed price.

Before you fight them though, try to know the code as best as you can, because you will only make yourself look foolish if you start fighting and you end up being wrong.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
EmperorOfCanada wrote: Before you fight them though, try to know the code as best as you can, because you will only make yourself look foolish if you start fighting and you end up being wrong.
Maybe if you can't remember the details, just print out the relevant couple of key lines of the code and carry that with you in your wallet.
Stores I shop at seem to have really started to ge their act together, I haven't seen a pricing error in months.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
If they don't do it right, whether you argue with them or not, PHONE the 1-800 number, thats what its there for, and/or contact the store head office. You will be taken care of, probably with more then you would have been entitled to if it was done right. Heck, if you have to argue to get it done right then complain even if you do eventually get it. There is no excuse for there to be any hassle at all.
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1215 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
catwalk wrote: But do I have to wait, let the wrong price be scanned in, pay for it anyway, then stop everything & make them refund me?

Most stores do the SCOP at the cash; only place I've had to pay then go for refund is Sobey's. Personally, I think the store can implement it any way they want to as long as you eventually get the product for free -- no rules in the code whether they do it on the spot or at customer service. SDM charges .01 vs. "free" - they claim its so they can track their inventory! Print off a brochure of the code, carry it with you & stick to your guns next time! As one of the other said, stores seem to be getting their act together these days so you actually don't have to argue every single time as in th past. It has always been 1/2 hr process for me!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
9537 posts
3186 upvotes
actually the code specifically states something like "the cashier be authorized to implement the item fee policy". The ones who are requiring more staff to get involved or making the customer line up again at customer service aren't doing it right. Its not supposed to be any hassled - customer points out price error, cashier checks/has someone check price, cashier implements $10 off/free. Customer shoudln't have to do anything else
If you aren't willing to take small losses, then you will take big losses. This is my guarantee. -
Mark Minervini
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6132 posts
1005 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
zoro69 wrote: actually the code specifically states something like "the cashier be authorized to implement the item fee policy". The ones who are requiring more staff to get involved or making the customer line up again at customer service aren't doing it right. Its not supposed to be any hassled - customer points out price error, cashier checks/has someone check price, cashier implements $10 off/free. Customer shoudln't have to do anything else

Agreed.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)