Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

  • Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2018 12:07 am
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 28, 2005
3118 posts
3 upvotes
I'm gone RFD! Staple…
camy47 wrote:Oh...I mentioned this forum to my mother, and apparently her local Loblaws is excellent for honouring this policy. She hadn't heard of it...but she said that a few times she had been checking out and noticed an error and mentioned it, the cashier just always gave her the item free. Now she knows why! :)

I second that, no hassles at all.
TRANCE/HOUSE Fan?

D J H A R O U N . C O M
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2580 posts
1150 upvotes
Ottawa
ipse wrote:Do you work for Staples by any chance? You sure act like it....This is one of the reasons why store managers have it their way: lack of action from customers. Moreover, you find a "good explanation" for getting ripped off . Nice.

Tell me, why does the store abide by the policy if it "upsets" the manager? Crapola....
Huh?

I'm referring to the lady who's husband works at the store where she wanted the item for free. I don't think employees should be abusing the policy at their place of employement. Good explanation for getting "ripped off"? What are you talking about? English please.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2580 posts
1150 upvotes
Ottawa
CSR wrote:The customer is ALWAYS right, you see...?
LOL, that's not true anymore, you see? You would be dumbfounded at the amount of fraudulent returns people attempt.

Personally, if someone is overly rude to me I will NOT go out of my way to help them. I treat everyone I meet with respect and I expect the same in return. We are all adults here.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
Originally Posted by camy47
Oh...I mentioned this forum to my mother, and apparently her local Loblaws is excellent for honouring this policy. She hadn't heard of it...but she said that a few times she had been checking out and noticed an error and mentioned it, the cashier just always gave her the item free. Now she knows why!


If Loblaws has the same policy as Stupidstore, then I find that hard to believe. It's almost as difficult as giving away your first born, getting a scanner code of practise adjustment and discount. Read my post earlier on my story.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2580 posts
1150 upvotes
Ottawa
me! wrote:If Loblaws has the same policy as Stupidstore, then I find that hard to believe. It's almost as difficult as giving away your first born, getting a scanner code of practise adjustment and discount. Read my post earlier on my story.
Same chain, supposedly same compliance with scanning code. Of course, results may vary by store (training, management). Your experience could have been the result of a new cashier, I dunno. However, if you complained to the scanning code number and told them of your experience, it would get back to the market manager of that store and he would have some words with management... :)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2580 posts
1150 upvotes
Ottawa
Headhunter wrote:Heh heh heh. ;)
LOL, I was kinda chucklin while I wrote that... :lol:
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 14, 2001
3059 posts
886 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
b0ne wrote:These ones.. pic below.. see the $12.92 sticker on them.. I guess it's not supposed to be there. :) I checked another walmart, and the sticker was either removed or blacked out with a marker.

Image
I've got a question about my own Pricing Mistake


SCOPE
The Code applies to all scanned Universal Product Code (UPC), bar coded, and/or Price Look Up (PLU) merchandise sold in stores, with the exception of goods not easily accessible to the public (e.g. prescription drugs and behind-the-counter cosmetics), and individually price-ticketed items.

Because mine was individually priced, would the policy NOT apply? or does it apply because they scanned it for the price, and didnt go by the ticketed price originally? :confused:
Member
Apr 5, 2005
384 posts
54 upvotes
ipse wrote:Do you work for Staples by any chance? You sure act like it....This is one of the reasons why store managers have it their way: lack of action from customers. Moreover, you find a "good explanation" for getting ripped off . Nice.

Tell me, why does the store abide by the policy if it "upsets" the manager? Crapola....
It's called being loyal to your employer. If you had somebody working for you, how would you feel if they started taking advantage of your store policies and costing you money? I'd be pissed off and I'd cut the fool's hours or start giving him the worst shifts and assignments. On their first mistake, I would fire his @$$. Employees are expected to act in the best interests of the company they work for.

Totally different- you can't compare employees taking advantage of a policy to a customer off the street.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 25, 2004
2580 posts
1150 upvotes
Ottawa
shoprider wrote:It's called being loyal to your employer. If you had somebody working for you, how would you feel if they started taking advantage of your store policies and costing you money? I'd be pissed off and I'd cut the fool's hours or start giving him the worst shifts and assignments. On their first mistake, I would fire his @$$. Employees are expected to act in the best interests of the company they work for.

Totally different- you can't compare employees taking advantage of a policy to a customer off the street.
Exactly, thankyou.

Also, I find it pretty telling that they are threating harassement towards the employer for them even saying something to them. I would never dream of taking advantage of a pricing error on the shelf by my employer.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 14, 2001
3059 posts
886 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
bump for opinions on my toy purchase
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 11, 2004
2968 posts
888 upvotes
Airdrie
b0ne wrote:bump for opinions on my toy purchase
BEcause it has a sticker, they could deny you the $10 off and charge you $12.92.
"Success is the happy feeling you get between the time you do something and the time you tell a woman what you did." -Dilbert
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
Konowl wrote:Same chain, supposedly same compliance with scanning code. Of course, results may vary by store (training, management). Your experience could have been the result of a new cashier, I dunno. However, if you complained to the scanning code number and told them of your experience, it would get back to the market manager of that store and he would have some words with management... :)
i tried that.

all i got were to stupidstore security goons in the background monitoring my arguement with the stupid head cashier and some stupidstore department manager.
Member
May 17, 2005
305 posts
Nepean, ON
I tried to apply this today on a purchase at Walmart, Kanata Ontario. The new Disney Cinderella dvd was shrink-wrapped with a bonus "learn to read" type of dvd, and the price on the shelf read $19.23 or thereabouts, changed from $23.83.

After it rang in at the cash, total was over $27 with taxes, which I thought must be wrong. Sure enough, it scanned in at the $23.83 rather than the reduced price. I waited for 10 minutes for someone with enough authority to show up to void the transaction, and I decided to ask about this policy. She said it did not apply because the item was "ticketed" - ie: it had a price tag on it (which read $23.83). I pointed out that the price was incorrect compared to the shelf/display area. She said that didn't matter.

Upon checking the details of the code online, I was dumbfounded to find that indeed she was correct. The scope of this code exempts items that are not readily accessible to the consumer (ie: prescriptions, cosmetics) and also exempts any ticketed item.

This fact alone makes this whole code BOGUS. All any retailer has to do to cover their butts from taking a loss on scanner price inaccuracies is TICKET THEIR ITEMS. Doesn't matter one bit if the price on the ticket is correct or not - if it is ticketed, they are not obligated to honor the code against that item. It's pretty much "the norm" that the retailer will give you the lower of any advertised or displayed prices where discrapancies are found, but it's quite easy for them to avoid giving the extra $10 discount or item free altogether as this code suggests.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
4988 posts
2 upvotes
robg wrote:I tried to apply this today on a purchase at Walmart, Kanata Ontario. The new Disney Cinderella dvd was shrink-wrapped with a bonus "learn to read" type of dvd, and the price on the shelf read $19.23 or thereabouts, changed from $23.83.

After it rang in at the cash, total was over $27 with taxes, which I thought must be wrong. Sure enough, it scanned in at the $23.83 rather than the reduced price. I waited for 10 minutes for someone with enough authority to show up to void the transaction, and I decided to ask about this policy. She said it did not apply because the item was "ticketed" - ie: it had a price tag on it (which read $23.83). I pointed out that the price was incorrect compared to the shelf/display area. She said that didn't matter.

Upon checking the details of the code online, I was dumbfounded to find that indeed she was correct. The scope of this code exempts items that are not readily accessible to the consumer (ie: prescriptions, cosmetics) and also exempts any ticketed item.

This fact alone makes this whole code BOGUS. All any retailer has to do to cover their butts from taking a loss on scanner price inaccuracies is TICKET THEIR ITEMS. Doesn't matter one bit if the price on the ticket is correct or not - if it is ticketed, they are not obligated to honor the code against that item. It's pretty much "the norm" that the retailer will give you the lower of any advertised or displayed prices where discrapancies are found, but it's quite easy for them to avoid giving the extra $10 discount or item free altogether as this code suggests.
yup, I'm sure most retailers hate honouring this, that is why they go to great lengths to deny it. just read my stories i've had with Stupidstore.

Top