• May 14th, 2019 5:15 pm
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2011 upvotes
Nowhere
sahilz wrote:
May 17th, 2010 2:57 pm
Question about SDM at Bay/Adelaide PATH, and maybe others using this system.

The on-sale or clearance items always ring up on regular price, and the cashiers have to press a button, maybe two to show the advertised price.

So the receipt always look like:

Item 1 --------- Original Price
***Sale ----------- Advertised price

Is this not against the rules of SCOP? This is the only store I have encountered that has this POS system.
Are you sure that the cashier has to push a button to get the sale price? As long as the correct price comes out in what you are charged, you can't apply SCOP.

I haven't been to a SDM store with a system like this. But it sounds similar to what some Zellers stores have. On the display, the original price comes out but it does ring up properly on the receipt. It is really confusing. The first time I saw it, I kept questioning the price and the cashier had to keep looking at the receipt to see if they were going in properly. The last time I was there, I was buying cat food cans that were "buy more and save" so the cashier knew the price was coming up right when "buy more and save" came under the price even thought the original price was displaying on the screen. A number of cans didn't come up this way and she was able to correct them before finalizing the sale.

I know that stores are supposed to display the price to the customer as they ring in so I wonder if this violates some law because the price isn't displaying correctly?
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2011 upvotes
Nowhere
jarmstrong wrote:
May 17th, 2010 3:01 pm
I encountered the same situation at Can Tire last week. bought an alarm clock that was on clearance but still rang in for $30. I asked the cashier but she said SCOP doesn't apply to clearance items.

Since i didnt know whether she was right or not, i dropped the issue.
It doesn't matter whether the item is on clearance or not, what matters is that it scans wrong and does not have a price on it. If the product had a price sticker on it like many clearance items, then SCOP would not apply. But if it was not individually ticketed, then CT owes you $10. When in doubt, refer to the SCOP sticker that is supposed to be displayed at the register.

Don't rely on the cashier because as we see in this thread, most cashiers don't have a clue. She probably had someone tell her to deny a SCOP because it had a clearance price sticker on it and then she deduced that SCOP didn't apply to clearance items.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2008
1287 posts
99 upvotes
Square One, Mississa…
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 17th, 2010 5:06 pm
Are you sure that the cashier has to push a button to get the sale price? As long as the correct price comes out in what you are charged, you can't apply SCOP.

I haven't been to a SDM store with a system like this. But it sounds similar to what some Zellers stores have. On the display, the original price comes out but it does ring up properly on the receipt. It is really confusing. The first time I saw it, I kept questioning the price and the cashier had to keep looking at the receipt to see if they were going in properly. The last time I was there, I was buying cat food cans that were "buy more and save" so the cashier knew the price was coming up right when "buy more and save" came under the price even thought the original price was displaying on the screen. A number of cans didn't come up this way and she was able to correct them before finalizing the sale.

I know that stores are supposed to display the price to the customer as they ring in so I wonder if this violates some law because the price isn't displaying correctly?
It is indeed very confusing to understand what was the final price of an item if there are more than 1. It is much more confusing if you have to return an item at a different store. I would assume most SDM cashiers haven't seen it, and the one I went to had to bring out a calculator to figure it out. Best of all, it is even worse for the 2 for XX price deals. Good luck figuring that out!!

The cashier has to press a button, maybe the final button, or some sale button, I am not sure, but I just bought something there this morning , and that is how it works.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5046 posts
727 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Cheap Cat wrote:
May 17th, 2010 5:06 pm
But it sounds similar to what some Zellers stores have. On the display, the original price comes out but it does ring up properly on the receipt. It is really confusing.
That drives me nuts at Zellers as well.
It seems to be relatively new - I don't buy at Zellers very often, but I don't think this was the way the cash register worked six months ago.

I think this issue, not displaying the correct price at the register and the SDM issue of having to ring in at least a penny warrants a call to the Retail Council to see what they have to say.
Nov 26, 2005
773 posts
1140 upvotes
Question: I was at Loblaws and the scanned price of Ziplock bags was $3.19 but the shelf sale price was $2.49. I spoke with the manager and she told me the UPC code that scanned at the cash counter did not match the UPC code on the Shelf tag therefore SCOP does not apply so I could not get the item for free. I did get it for $2.49.

Do the UPC codes have to match the Shelf tag UPC code for SCOP to apply? Some stock clerk must of put the wrong shelf tag on the shelf?
The funny thing is that the shelf tag label seemed to match the product. (just different UPC codes). :?:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
985 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
Aling wrote:
May 19th, 2010 2:31 pm
Question: I was at Loblaws and the scanned price of Ziplock bags was $3.19 but the shelf sale price was $2.49. I spoke with the manager and she told me the UPC code that scanned at the cash counter did not match the UPC code on the Shelf tag therefore SCOP does not apply so I could not get the item for free. I did get it for $2.49.

Do the UPC codes have to match the Shelf tag UPC code for SCOP to apply? Some stock clerk must of put the wrong shelf tag on the shelf?
The funny thing is that the shelf tag label seemed to match the product. (just different UPC codes). :?:
Yes.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
May 20, 2010
1 posts
Windsor, ON
I had my first SCOP incident last night, and while it was nice to get something for free, I didn't realize the amount of stress that apparently seems to come with it.

I was at Food Basics and I had grabbed Irrestibles Vanilla Soy Milk and I noticed that vanilla was $3.29 and original was $3.49. After having bought the stuff for over a year now, I found this rather odd because both flavours are always the same price, regardless if I've bought them from Metro or Food Basics. So first of all, this particular Food Basics, I swear has the most uneducated cashiers in the city. I wouldn't even shop at this location if it wasnt the closest. One register was open (and this was at 6pm!), until the guy behind me told me to go to express where the light was off and the girl was just standing their filing her nails. So she agreed to take me (I had about 12 items), and sure enough, the soy milk scanned at $3.49, and I said thats not the right price. So then, she asks if I want a price check, which that in itself kinda blew my mind, you have to ask me? So she does it, it takes about 4-5 minutes for someone to actually come up, so he goes and does it, and finally comes back and says its $3.29.

So this girl attempts to void the original one off, of course scanning it again in the process. I really don't understand the problem because she ended up needing the supervisor to override a simple void for her. She then pre-prices it for $3.29, and I said umm thats not right, I should get that for free according to the scanning code of practice. And she had no clue what I was talking about. Figures. So I call over to the girl who had helped her with the override and asked if she knew what the scanning code of practice was. She said she did, and I said that I should get my soy milk for free then. She told the cashier to call the person in charge. So while it took another 5 minutes for them to get a response, I start searching for the label at the register to back up my point in case I needed to. Well the only one at the register, was covered up by a display of scratch tickets with only the french side visible. I did however notice a bigger one between the public pay phones near the exit. Yeah, nice place for it eh? At this point, I had caused such a lineup the supervisor girl ended up opening on the register opposite behind her, and the person in charge called up, and without problem said that I should get it. So then the cashier switches off with the supervisor behind her, and I get overriden to get the free soy milk, cashed out and left.

At that point, I felt my wasted 10 minutes wasn't even worth the $3.29, but it was the principle of it.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7731 posts
1354 upvotes
^^ send that to metro, copy it to the grocery store council

Similar to my issue with metro a few months back (but i got the scop while i was in the store), and they sent me $25 gc...and ordered new scop signs for every store they own in the city to replace the missing ones and move the poorly placed ones
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5424 posts
819 upvotes
Toronto
My mom realized this morning she was overcharged on a can of Chunky soup that was on sale at SDM for $1.49 and was charged $3.99.

The manager (who had serious BO...had to add that in since my mom mentioned it) gave back the difference but said that SCOP policies didnt apply because it has to be claimed the day of (she made the purchase Saturday night). Is that BS over a can of soup?? My mom wont bother fighting it though....she said its not worth to make the blood pressure rise...lol.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5046 posts
727 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
No Frills wrote:
May 31st, 2010 1:38 pm
My mom realized this morning she was overcharged on a can of Chunky soup that was on sale at SDM for $1.49 and was charged $3.99.

The manager (who had serious BO...had to add that in since my mom mentioned it) gave back the difference but said that SCOP policies didnt apply because it has to be claimed the day of (she made the purchase Saturday night). Is that BS over a can of soup?? My mom wont bother fighting it though....she said its not worth to make the blood pressure rise...lol.
Yes, of course!!!

One has to claim the SCOP within 3 seconds of it ringing up wrong at the cash register, or three blinks with the left eye - whichever comes first. :D

Just amazes me the BS a lot of store staff goes to to try to avoid the SCOP.
Except for Quebec, the SCOP is voluntary, so it's the retail store that choses to abide by it - nobody is forcing them.

This is getting as bad as the price match guaranty - the store creates the policy and then looks for every drummed up excuse not to honour it.
I would call that fraud.

Rather than 'fight' the issue I would just call or email both the retail council and SDM head office (from the comfort of your home).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7731 posts
1354 upvotes
If you call SDMs 1-800 they'll likely credit your card with points worth significantly more then 1.49 while you are on the phone.

Or you can contact CACDS that SDM falls under though they seem less responsive then the others

It doesnt have to be done the same day. Of course if its the case of an old shelf price it might be hard to prove at a later date.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2004
1184 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
zoro69 wrote:
May 31st, 2010 2:42 pm
If you call SDMs 1-800 they'll likely credit your card with points worth significantly more then 1.49 while you are on the phone.

Or you can contact CACDS that SDM falls under though they seem less responsive then the others

It doesnt have to be done the same day. Of course if its the case of an old shelf price it might be hard to prove at a later date.
SDM 1-800 are usually excellent at dealing with these issues! If it was in the flyer, would be easy to prove but definitely would be much harder if it was shelf price. While @ SDM today, pain tablets rang up incorrectly. The first cashier was not familiar with SCOP at all. She was going to correct the price but called for a price check instead. I went to check myself just in case I was wrong! While checking, another employee asked if she could help me then just took the price tag off the shelf & told me to show it to the cashier. When I got back, line up was large so I offered to go to the other cashier since the first one was asking her for guidance anyways cause didn't know what to do. Cashier #2 was familiar with SCOP but only when the item is "free", not with the $10 off if the item is more than $10. She proceeded to argue incessessantly with me & I stopped her dead cold by politely saying I'm extremelly familiar with the policy so check your SCOP sticker (there was none!), go ask a supervisor or call your head office since I don't have 1/2 hour to argue. Te manager was nearby so she went to ask him. She came back & handled it without any further discussion but the lack of knowledge & inconsistent training was clearly obvious!
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2011 upvotes
Nowhere
beripari wrote:
May 31st, 2010 6:44 pm
Cashier #2 was familiar with SCOP but only when the item is "free", not with the $10 off if the item is more than $10. She proceeded to argue incessessantly with me & I stopped her dead cold by politely saying I'm extremelly familiar with the policy so check your SCOP sticker (there was none!), go ask a supervisor or call your head office since I don't have 1/2 hour to argue. Te manager was nearby so she went to ask him. She came back & handled it without any further discussion but the lack of knowledge & inconsistent training was clearly obvious!
I don't see it as inconsistent training. Given my recent experience at SDM (reported here previously), they seem to consistently believe that SCOP doesn't apply over $10. I can't help but wonder if that is part of their training.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7731 posts
1354 upvotes
Saw someone at futureshop last night with a scanning error. Few phone calls and store confirmed scanning error. Then the cashier announced he would get it at the signed price. So I said something

Same store I had huge issue a few years back when they had no sings, and replaced them on my complaint. At some point since they've moved the placement so there was no chance for the customer to see it. I pointed to it and said oh he should get an extra $10 off with the scanning code.

cashier declared "no we had the wrong price tag so he just gets it for that price", and rung it up. I wasnt going to argue for the customer who didn't seem interested (I dont think he'd ever heard of the code, and he couldn't see the sign), so he lost out.

ALmost 8 years since the code started, wonder if we'll ever see the day most stores follow it as intended.