Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 9th, 2024 10:05 am
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
14641 posts
3365 upvotes
Vancouver
I got a free bag of PC loads of garlic cheese bread potato chips this week . I always wanted to try them. I ended up with a large sample :)
May 12, 2021
1 posts
1 upvote
Hi,

Just wondering your thoughts on this. First things first this isn’t something I look for or anything but I know about it as I used to be a cashier.

Was at shoppers today and I bought some Oreos that my girlfriend likes and it was 1.99 , except it came up at 3.49.. and it didn’t reduce at the end. So I was annoyed but I figured they’d check etc. But firstly the cashier is like do you want them still.. I can remove them, never offering to go look. After two times of me asking she managed To call her supervisor. found out the tag was a week out of date.. she offered to reduce the price to the tag price. Said it’s not free because the sale didn’t go through and that is a condition. I didn’t push it because I actually wanted the product. But this is news to me. She explained it saying it’s a new rule. But I couldn’t find it anywhere. Anyway just wondering your guys thoughts on that?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
mrsirjames wrote: Said it’s not free because the sale didn’t go through and that is a condition. I didn’t push it because I actually wanted the product. But this is news to me. She explained it saying it’s a new rule. But I couldn’t find it anywhere. Anyway just wondering your guys thoughts on that?
There is no new rule - SCOP applies when the item rings up higher at the cash than the advertised price.
However, in this case it seems the tag was out of date, if there was a expiry date on the $1.99 shelf tag and that date had passed, then SCOP does not apply on that item.
That is a change to the previous interpretation by the Retail Council - previously a "sale expiry date" on the tag made no difference as far as SCOP was concerned.
May 4, 2020
413 posts
112 upvotes
Toronto, On
Hi
today, I was at Canadian Tire garden center, I was in the line waiting for my turn to go to a cashier, a woman in front of me, was asking the cashier to give her a plant for a free because she was charged more than the actual price of the plant. I do not know what the price was. The woman asked to speak to the manager. The manager came and said yes before we used to give it for free, but that is changed now, Now, it is just a mistake as per the store manager.

I am curious, is that law by the store or by Canada government? Can a store refuse to follow that law or code? I know if the item was less than $10 then the store has to give it for free.
Last edited by lwlwlwlw on May 16th, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2009
2168 posts
1901 upvotes
Brampton
lwlwlwlw wrote: Hi
today, I was at Canadian Tire garden center, I was in the line waiting for my turn to go to a cashier, a woman in front of me, was asking the cashier to give her a plant for a free because she was charge more than the actual price of the plant. I do not know what the price was. The woman asked to speak to the manager. The manager came and said yes before we used to give it for free, but that is changed now, Now, it is just a mistake as per the store manager.

I am curious, is that law by the store or buy Canada government? Can a store refused to follow that law or practice? I know if the item was less than $10 then the store has to give it for free.
Nope its voluntary there is no law and it's up to store to decide if they will follow the code.
Last edited by kopokipi on May 17th, 2021 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jun 20, 2020
20144 posts
29043 upvotes
Toronto
lwlwlwlw wrote: I am curious, is that law by the store or buy Canada government? Can a store refused to follow that law or practice? I know if the item was less than $10 then the store has to give it for free.
Read the first thread in the Shopping Discussion forum

Reminder! Code of Practice: Scanner Price Accuracy

It is not a law or mandated by the government, this is voluntary.

The Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code has been endorsed by the Competition Bureau.
Destiny is all
Penalty Box
Feb 11, 2015
7918 posts
55318 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It's up to $10 for free, or $10. But yeah, voluntary policy. I recall some places had rules if you found an expired product you got to get a new one free for making the store look bad. Got some big bags of dog food that way, some other smaller things.

If you were charged less, would you go and return it? Lots of stores are as good as their consumers are, and that's better than you get it, and yeah, sometimes you get the S.C.O.P (Scanning Code of Practise) for free or $10 off.
Jul 11, 2017
581 posts
599 upvotes
I know for me personally, when I am shopping at my store, if a SCOPable moment ever happens, I never ask for it (Technically, I shouldn't be eligible for it). So I just confirm the tag with the cashier, then they reduce it down to the tag price, that's it. But if I am at a Non-Loblaw store, I will normally go after SCOP, I just don't feel comfortable anymore trying to get it from the company I work for...
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32144 posts
15425 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Yes its voluntary but since the chain has decided to follow it i would guess the store is required to follow it unless their head office formally withdraws from the SCOP.

That said i have never had any participating retailer refuse to cooperate when pointed out to them. Lowes doesn't have the sticker in their stores and don't follow it even though the head office tweets they do.
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
To file a complaint under the Scanner Price Accuracy Code, please contact: 1-866-499-4599.

CanTire is s signatory, so some rinky-dink manager can't decide to change their policy.
Jan 2, 2011
131 posts
143 upvotes
krs wrote: There is no new rule - SCOP applies when the item rings up higher at the cash than the advertised price.
However, in this case it seems the tag was out of date, if there was a expiry date on the $1.99 shelf tag and that date had passed, then SCOP does not apply on that item.
That is a change to the previous interpretation by the Retail Council - previously a "sale expiry date" on the tag made no difference as far as SCOP was concerned.
Yep. But generally, most places will still give you the sale price if they forgot to take down the stale dated tag.
This has happened at Walmart a few times when they take something off "Multi" discount and forget to take the shelf 'talker' down.
I've also had times when a "multi" showed up on the receipt but there wasn't any flag on the shelf.

The local Zehrs (Part of Loblaw group) has gone all digital electronic shelf labels now.
And they are all centrally controlled in the store. (WiFi)
Head office changes product prices and I believe it's sent to the stores over the internet, and instantly rolled out to every shelf tag in the store.
Pretty much eliminates any shelf price discrepancies.

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1439 posts
930 upvotes
Robidas Island
Had one time where there was a clearance bulk item for $1.25 / kg and the regular price was like 7x the sale price. After showing the picture, the cashier rang it as $0.25 / kg which was good enough for me.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
8978 posts
2579 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
I noticed lately that Shopper's occasionally overcharges. Had two cases just last week.
Something to watch out for.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
Agreed. But some cashiers refuse to honor Scop.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7205 posts
9238 upvotes
The NORTH
minimalist wrote: Agreed. But some cashiers refuse to honor Scop.
As long as you know what you're talking about just ask to speak with their supervisor. Sometimes the training is painfully bad and they genuinely don't know.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
kr0zet wrote: As long as you know what you're talking about just ask to speak with their supervisor. Sometimes the training is painfully bad and they genuinely don't know.
One thing I hate is when they just bring over another cashier when you ask to speak to their supervisor.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Jun 12, 2013
25 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Hey guys!

It's been a while since I came to RFD! I was wondering if what happened to me last night was right.

I went to a Safeway in Vancouver and the price of some Schneider sausages were at $2.99. At the cashier, it scanned at $3.99 and the cashier knew about that mistake. I asked to have the item for free and they refused. Then I showed her the RCC paper explaining about the free item if below $10 and they matched it. They did remove the RCC code of conduct from all the cash registers though (except for the one I found) and was told they don't do that anymore.

Is this true that Safeway isn't doing it anymore?
May 15, 2019
656 posts
760 upvotes
GWN
tanukik wrote: Hey guys!

It's been a while since I came to RFD! I was wondering if what happened to me last night was right.

I went to a Safeway in Vancouver and the price of some Schneider sausages were at $2.99. At the cashier, it scanned at $3.99 and the cashier knew about that mistake. I asked to have the item for free and they refused. Then I showed her the RCC paper explaining about the free item if below $10 and they matched it. They did remove the RCC code of conduct from all the cash registers though (except for the one I found) and was told they don't do that anymore.

Is this true that Safeway isn't doing it anymore?
Safeway is a participant.
Participants in the Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code
Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers, Neighbourhood Pharmacy Association of Canada, and, Retail Council of Canada members supporting the Scanner Price Accuracy Code:
Best Buy
Bulkley Valley Wholesale
Canadian Tire
Co-op Atlantic
Costco Wholesale Canada
Federated Co-operatives Limited
Giant Tiger Stores
The Great Atlantic and Pacific Tea Company of Canada Limited
The Groupe Jean Coutu (NB and ON only)
The Harry Watson Group
The Home Depot Canada
Home Hardware (2 Ontario stores)
Lawton Drug Stores
Loblaw Companies Limited
London Drugs
Longos Brothers Fruit Markets
Lovell Drugs
Metro Inc.
Overwaitea Foods
Pharmasave (BC stores)
PriceSmart Foods
Rona
Safeway
Save-On-Foods
Shoppers Drug Mart
Sobeys
The North West Company
Thrifty Foods
Toys”R”Us
Urban Fare
Walmart Canada

+ 1374 Canadian Federation of Independent Grocers independent locations
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29132 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
tanukik wrote: Is this true that Safeway isn't doing it anymore?
Check the "More Information Here!" link in the OP. It takes you to RCC's website and their list of "members supporting the Scanner Price Accuracy Code:"
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Was at the Metro location at Keele and Lawrence today to pick up some cherries at $2.99/lb as per the Ontario flyer ending today.
In the Ontario flyer starting tomorrow, the price will be $3.99/lb.
Low and behold, they already switched the price to $3.99/lb.
I did not buy any off course.
I've actually been successful with SCOP at this location before.
But never at the location at Stockyards where the cashiers pretend not to know about SCOP and just give it to you at the corrected price.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)