• Last Updated:
  • Oct 15th, 2017 10:51 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6953 posts
956 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote:
May 25th, 2016 7:14 pm
How the heck have I never heard about SCOP before discovering this thread??? :-0

Anyways, I now have a couple of newbie questions. Sorry, perhaps those were already answered somewhere among the 98 pages of this thread, but I am not even sure what keywords I should be searching for.

1. The link on the OP does not work, so to double check.. is http://www.retailcouncil.org/scanner-accuracy the official link or is there anything "more official" than that?

2. Does this code apply in the following situation?

Suppose that you have 2 bins of apples at a grocery store. The apples have little stickers on them with the name and the code (I think those are called PLU codes?). At the checkout, a cashier enters the wrong code from memory because they misidentify the apples and do not bother to check the stickers (happens to me at our local RCSS all the time) resulting in a higher price (it's NEVER a lower price - conspiracy, eh?).

Now, in the document "Scanner Price Accuracy Code FAQ by Consumers", there is the following line: "Q: Do weighed items apply to the Scanner Price Accuracy Code? A: No, only items that are scanned using a UPC are valid for the code." This seems to answer this question, but what is then the point of the statement in the same document "This Code applies to all scanned merchandise sold in all participating stores with a Universal Product Code (UPC), bar code, and Price Look-Up (PLU)"? According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_look-up_code "PLU codes are used primarily in retail grocery stores or supermarkets, where they are keyed into a point of sale system by a cashier, or by the customer at a self checkout machine, while the produce is being weighed on a scale. PLU codes can also be defined by the individual retailer, or location, and used in place of barcodes for a variety of reasons. Price look-up codes are generally printed on small stickers or tags..."

So does it or does it NOT apply??? I am confused... :confused:
Because some PLU codes are priced per item, and not by weight. For example, broccoli and celery are priced per item, and not weighed.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2964 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
EPcjay wrote:
May 26th, 2016 12:18 am
Because some PLU codes are priced per item, and not by weight. For example, broccoli and celery are priced per item, and not weighed.
Why would that make any difference?
SCOP certainly applies to items using the PLU codes, but of corse only if the correct PLU code is entered and the price does not match the advertised price.
The cashier guessing the wrong PLU code doesn't count.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
6953 posts
956 upvotes
krs wrote:
May 26th, 2016 12:46 am
Why would that make any difference?
SCOP certainly applies to items using the PLU codes, but of corse only if the correct PLU code is entered and the price does not match the advertised price.
The cashier guessing the wrong PLU code doesn't count.
It wouldn't apply if the cashier input the wrong code, however it would apply if celery was price 98c and it came up as 2.00 each. I'm explaining PLU codes can apply to scop as not all items are weighed.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2964 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
So you are saying that SCOP oes not apply if the PLU code is for a weighed item.
I don't see why not - issue is the same as with UPC errors or unit priced PLU items.
Actually it's worse - if an item comes up at $1.49 at the cash when it should be $1.29, the cvonsumer might notice that, but if I buy 2 5/8 lbs of apples where only the final price shows on the register, I would say that almost all people wouldn't pick be able to pick up if the 2 5/8 lbs was muliplied by $1.29 or $1.49 for the final amount.
One would have to wait for the receipt and check that since it would show 2 5/8 lbs @ $1.29 or 2 5/8 lbs @ $1.49

The FAQ answer is wrong since it does not eflect the spirit of SCOP.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7822 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmmm today I was at a grocery store (nesters) and saw a sale sign for some cheese ($4.99) I did notice the small print on the sale card saying it expires June 25. They obviously forgot to take the sign away. I went thru the checkout and it rang up at $6.99. I nicely exlained that the sign said $4.99. She called someone. The guy came to the register with the sale card ($4.99) and punched it into the register. He never once said anything to me. I paid and then left.

I wasn't sure if this scenario applies to getting the item "free"?

Thanks
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
trellaine201 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 5:59 pm
Hmmm today I was at a grocery store (nesters) and saw a sale sign for some cheese ($4.99) I did notice the small print on the sale card saying it expires June 25. They obviously forgot to take the sign away. I went thru the checkout and it rang up at $6.99. I nicely exlained that the sign said $4.99. She called someone. The guy came to the register with the sale card ($4.99) and punched it into the register. He never once said anything to me. I paid and then left.

I wasn't sure if this scenario applies to getting the item "free"?

Thanks
...absolutely does in the stores I shop --> Basics and Zehrs
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
...from the FAQs in the first post:

22 - The manager said the sign was left over from last week’s sale, so the Code doesn’t apply.
The reason for the scanning not matching the lowest price does not matter; the SCOP and Item Free Scanner Policy still apply.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7822 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
Oh , this would depend on the store? Maybe that's why the gentleman who brought the tag over and corrected the register didn't say a word to me. He didn't want to give it free. He was pretty quick. Then the cashier took over.

Good to know in the future.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7822 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
hebsie wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 6:52 pm
...from the FAQs in the first post:

22 - The manager said the sign was left over from last week’s sale, so the Code doesn’t apply.
The reason for the scanning not matching the lowest price does not matter; the SCOP and Item Free Scanner Policy still apply.

He didn't say anything. Do you think I should have had the item free? I don't quite understand the faq.
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
trellaine201 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 6:53 pm
Oh , this would depend on the store? Maybe that's why the gentleman who brought the tag over and corrected the register didn't say a word to me. He didn't want to give it free. He was pretty quick. Then the cashier took over.

Good to know in the future.
...it shouldn't depend on the store, but they may try and fight you on it. I often find myself having to remind them that it's a freebie. Sometimes requires the cashier calling the manager.

Consider it your finders fee for finding an old sale sign from last week!
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
trellaine201 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2016 6:55 pm
He didn't say anything. Do you think I should have had the item free? I don't quite understand the faq.
100% for free
Jul 11, 2011
794 posts
464 upvotes
Ontario
...form this link:

What about if my store has not taken down a sign, and they say that sale was from yesterday and it is over? Does SCOP apply?

Yes, if the store has not removed their sign and is still advertising a lower price and your item rings in as higher, SCOP applies. This goes back to the original intention of SCOP – it is a promise from a retailer to their customer for accurate pricing and scanning.

So maybe go back and talk to the manager, threaten that you're going to call SCOP at 1-866-499-4599 to list your complaint.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7822 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
Haha it's ok. I just wasn't sure of the policy. I knew about the scanning. I thought because they erred by leaving an old sign up it didn't apply. And I didn't want to argue. But it's certainly good to know.

I love the comment "finder fee". Which really is because they could be losing more if I didn't report this.

Thanks everyone.
Deal Addict
Mar 28, 2005
2964 posts
167 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Well, there is one overriding factor in all this - except for Quebec, SCOP is voluntary.

Everything that was posted above only applies if Nesters has agreed to follow the code.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2006
7822 posts
409 upvotes
Vancouver
Yah I sent them an email asking if they honor SCOP. :)

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)