1652 upvotes
GTA
Anyone see this at TIFF? Reviews?
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
^^ Apparently, people are saying Sandra Bullock is "Oscar worthy." Right now, in terms of buzz it's looking like Cate Blanchett for Blue Jasmine (which she was sublime in) and Sandra Bullock; awaiting Meryl Streep Ausage County, but from the looks of the trailer, I feel like I'll be let down.

It would be nice to see Sandra justify that Blind Side Oscar with an excellent follow-up performance.
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
1176 posts
84 upvotes
STONEY CREEK
I noticed that shes spinning when she gets knocked off...
Wouldnt she start massively throwing up after a few minutes. I know that astronauts go through a tonne of training for the common spinning while on the ISS but at that speed and im guessing for a long time while they try and retrieve her, shes probably swimming in her innards.
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2013
1485 posts
789 upvotes
WATERLOO
This movie is all about the visuals. Its basically cast away in space, but the visuals is what makes it. Sandra Bullock will probably be nominated for an Oscar. Not sure if she'll win it though. It is something different though. The first 12 min is one continuous shot I believe.I would recommend it.
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

[QUOTE]Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity can't be released soon enough! The reviews have been incredible, and my excitement for it keeps growing. I just want it to be released already so I can watch it! Fortunately, we don't have to wait much longer as it comes out on October 4th. The new TV spot offers up some new footage from the amazingly intense-looking film.

I'm so glad I will never have to worry about going into space and getting stuck out there.

Source: http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/9/17/ne ... re-footage[/QUOTE]

I also want to watch it already! :lol:
Deal Guru
Mar 12, 2005
11677 posts
3487 upvotes
Victoria
jrychlik wrote: I noticed that shes spinning when she gets knocked off...
Wouldnt she start massively throwing up after a few minutes. I know that astronauts go through a tonne of training for the common spinning while on the ISS but at that speed and im guessing for a long time while they try and retrieve her, shes probably swimming in her innards.
There was a (Gemini?) Mission in which Neil Armstrong was the Pilot. The spacecraft went into a massive rotation (I think from a malfunctioning thruster). I don't think the crew spewed on that one?
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
I'll probably see it b/c i love sci-fi....but not crazy about bullock & clooney.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
13879 posts
3290 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Mehhh... totally ret*rded!! Sandra Bullock is one of the most overrated actresses of all time. I'm of the camp she didnt deserve the Blind Side oscar which was more of a PR campaign to get her the statue. The film and role was no more than a sunday nite made for tv flick, PG movie. The trailers solidify her lack of acting ability. So cheesy, lol. The only thing good is the special effects. The guy who heads the animation and special effects department might get nominated but Bullock will be a disappointment as is this flick. SMH.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2338 posts
345 upvotes
In another world
jenviea wrote: NASA expert points out many errors from just the trailers
http://www.blastr.com/2013-9-6/nasa-exp ... gets-wrong

Retired astronaut is more diplomatic
http://www.thewrap.com/toronto-a-real-l ... a-bullock/
newt_101 wrote: Never understood the importance of that: it's science fiction.
Imagine how boring action films were if people died in 50km/hr crashes, or if no one saw Jurassic Park because dinosaurs can't be cloned.

In a historical drama, sure, but for sci-fi/action/thriller, why does it matter so much?
Just be entertained
I totally agree with newt_101.
Half of the movies I've watched would be so lame if they were stuck to reality.
Like saying I won't watch Transformers because giant robots don't exist :razz:
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8694 upvotes
GTHA

Good lord, I can't wait to watch this film! Today we give you a new behind the scenes featurette for Alfonso Cuaron's Gravity that focuses on the 3D aspect of the film, and what it will do for audiences. There's also a new TV spot for the movie that we've included. Both contain new footage. This incredible looking film comes out on October 4th!

Source: http://geektyrant.com/news/2013/9/21/am ... or-gravity
Deal Expert
Aug 9, 2004
22170 posts
824 upvotes
Newmarket
I really cant make up my mind about this one.
I like that it seems like something not completely outlandish (ie. superheroes etc) and can generate some pretty basic fears...but I worry that Clooney/bullock will turn it into something boring. it may be a compromise date movie.
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
ive decided to see it on the wkend..my friends want to see it in 3D..... I hope i dont get nauseus(sp)...its happened before.

;-(
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19790 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
Amazing performances by Clooney and especially Bullock. There was one scene that really elevated the movie, I thought it was brilliant.

New rule for me personally is not to get too excited about a release and certainly don't expect too much. This Summer's blockbusters like Into Darkness, Man of Steel fell short because it.

World War Z and Gravity are two of my favorites this year and both weren't even on my must see list.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
Well that sucks... Scotiabank IMAX in Toronto is defective... You get either a refund and a free ticket for inconvenience or 2 fre tickets if you already paid ... Sucks though
[QUOTE]I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them.[/QUOTE] ~Andy Bernard, The Office (U.S.)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 24, 2004
8568 posts
4207 upvotes
Toronto (Central)
This is a strong statement coming from me, but I haven't seen a blockbuster this perfect in a LONG time.

Bullock's performance, the philosophical elements, special effects/cinematography/musical score were all perfect.
I was on the edge my seat the whole time. I haven't left a theatre feeling that fulfilled in a long time.

Note: This is 100% must-see in IMAX 3D only. Don't waste your time on anything less.
Deal Guru
Nov 30, 2009
12178 posts
603 upvotes
Toronto
^^ Yeah, I settled for UltraAVX, because I was already at the theatre, but IMAX would have been perfect.

After watching the movie, I can confidently say that Cate Blanchett will and should win for Blue Jasmine.

I might get shunned for this, but I thought Life of Pi was better than this.

Will expand more later
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
3758 posts
186 upvotes
Great visuals, watched it in avx.
Lots of moments of suspense, but not much of a plot. Obviously the target of the movie was the visuals, so that can be excused. Thought Bullock was great as well.
Deal Addict
Oct 31, 2009
3746 posts
1003 upvotes
Toronto
Just came back from seeing this film and i loved it. Agree with newts assessment 100 %

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)