Credit Cards

Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite - 4% Groceries & Recurring Bills, 2% Gas & Transit

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
desitarzan wrote: I have received a notification from Scotia Momentum that they are increasing fees from 99 to 120 beginning Aug 01 2019 and also decreasing cash back from 4% to 2% for Gas however, increasing the cash back on recurring charges from 2% to 4%. There are some other changes like mobile device protection beginning Aug 01, 2019 etc

Any thoughts should I keep the card or cancel
How can anyone answer your question if they don't know your spending patterns? If you only use it for gas purchases, then it sucks and you should cancel. If you only use it for recurring charges, you should go out and celebrate.

C
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Id be fine with the changes, but they got greedy with the fee increase. be $170 a year now, and thats to expensive

I was just preapproved for a BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard. Might see whats that about, or use that as ammo to waive my fee for a year
Last edited by WikkiWikki on Jun 25th, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mar 21, 2019
746 posts
729 upvotes
onthemove wrote: Could Paytm count as recurring payment ?
PayTM doesn’t accept Visa, so I’d say probably not Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
2366 posts
1245 upvotes
People are hating one the changes but for me, I have all these recurring that works out to be almost 800 a year....so the recurring is good for me, just car insurances at 4% gain me $392 ish.........then home food delivery runs 600 a month so thats 288 per year there.

For Gas im more likely to use CTFS when Im near a CT+ or amex or dividend card
Feb 13, 2016
866 posts
1163 upvotes
masterman wrote: PayTM doesn’t accept Visa, so I’d say probably not Face With Tears Of Joy
Well that's the end of this card for me.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 24, 2013
6479 posts
3344 upvotes
Kingston, ON
Techiedude wrote: People are hating one the changes but for me, I have all these recurring that works out to be almost 800 a year....so the recurring is good for me, just car insurances at 4% gain me $392 ish.........then home food delivery runs 600 a month so thats 288 per year there.

For Gas im more likely to use CTFS when Im near a CT+ or amex or dividend card
How does one spend $20,000/year on car insurance? Ouch!
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
2366 posts
1245 upvotes
Mike15 wrote: How does one spend $20,000/year on car insurance? Ouch!
Recurring is going up to 4% and I own 8 autos and 6 bikes ;)
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
Techiedude wrote: Recurring is going up to 4% and I own 8 autos and 6 bikes ;)
Well I'd love to be a rider on one of yours ;)
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Dec 26, 2013
543 posts
181 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm ok with these changes, I travel a lot with three kids so trip cancellation insurance is definitely a bonus. I'm glad they brought gas down to 2% and not groceries, all my big expenses, home depot, canadian tire, air canada are all done with grocery gift cards getting 4% back. The gas too I will now have to buy using gift cards, not a big deal. Does anyone know if water damage is covered under mobile phone insurance? I've read the pamphlet but don't see it listed anywhere.
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
Skilas wrote: Device insurance, I would have to look into if that is good or not..
Notice it only applies to devices paid with the card, and not retroactively, right?
Sep 11, 2009
191 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
wilyam wrote: I'm ok with these changes, I travel a lot with three kids so trip cancellation insurance is definitely a bonus. I'm glad they brought gas down to 2% and not groceries, all my big expenses, home depot, canadian tire, air canada are all done with grocery gift cards getting 4% back. The gas too I will now have to buy using gift cards, not a big deal. Does anyone know if water damage is covered under mobile phone insurance? I've read the pamphlet but don't see it listed anywhere.
Does buying a gas gift card from grocery store count towards 4% grocery cash back? When you use gift cards at gas stations, can you still collect points such as air miles, petro points, etc?
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3150 posts
7726 upvotes
Ontario
justasking wrote: Does buying a gas gift card from grocery store count towards 4% grocery cash back? When you use gift cards at gas stations, can you still collect points such as air miles, petro points, etc?
Gift cards do go towards the 4%. This is how I buy Amazon Gift Cards for get cash back on Amazon purchases. Never specifically tried gas cards.
Banned
Dec 22, 2012
141 posts
39 upvotes
Montreal
justasking wrote: Does buying a gas gift card from grocery store count towards 4% grocery cash back? When you use gift cards at gas stations, can you still collect points such as air miles, petro points, etc?
Yes, it depends only on where you do make the actual payment, not where you USE the gift card.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
wilyam wrote: I'm ok with these changes, I travel a lot with three kids so trip cancellation insurance is definitely a bonus. I'm glad they brought gas down to 2% and not groceries, all my big expenses, home depot, canadian tire, air canada are all done with grocery gift cards getting 4% back.
Keep in mind that the trip cancellation insurance coverage only applies if you charge at least 75% of eligible trip expenses directly to your card. If you buy Air Canada gift cards from the grocery store and then use the gift cards to pay for the airfare, the insurance will not apply.
Sep 11, 2009
191 posts
239 upvotes
Toronto
Skilas wrote: Gift cards do go towards the 4%. This is how I buy Amazon Gift Cards for get cash back on Amazon purchases. Never specifically tried gas cards.
Wow this is amazing! For Amazon purchases using gift cards, can you still double dip rebates through ebates or GCR? I tried searching through their websites but I didnt find anything.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2003
4686 posts
3840 upvotes
Edmonton
justasking wrote: For Amazon purchases using gift cards, can you still double dip rebates through ebates or GCR? I tried searching through their websites but I didnt find anything.
I've had no issues with ebates when paying with gift cards.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2016
1499 posts
2036 upvotes
Carp
justasking wrote: Wow this is amazing! For Amazon purchases using gift cards, can you still double dip rebates through ebates or GCR? I tried searching through their websites but I didnt find anything.
ChinpokoMon wrote: I've had no issues with ebates when paying with gift cards.
And I've had no issues with GCR.

Method of payment does not matter.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)