Credit Cards

Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite - 4% Groceries & Recurring Bills, 2% Gas & Transit

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 23, 2010
362 posts
264 upvotes
North York
I noticed Amazon allows for autoreload periodically or when the balance drops below a threshold. Does anyone know if this would count as a recurring bill payment?
Check my user name on eBay
May 27, 2011
525 posts
551 upvotes
Montreal
I'll "re-activate" the usage of the PC WE Mastercard for gas (I mainly fill up at Esso) and Loblaws stores groceries and start using the CTFS (Triangle) WE Mastercard for non-Loblaws groceries (as it has 3% on groceries). I can't put/don't have that many monthly bills to get the benefit of a 4% on recurring.

The 120+50 annual fees I have to pay will no longer makes sense, therefore I'll drop the card as soon as the renewal is up. The back-up cards mentioned have no AF and even if they have a lower percentage, I believe, overall, I'll get more money as cashback w/o having to pay $170/year.
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2009
3590 posts
2953 upvotes
Montreal
bobitza wrote: The 120+50 annual fees I have to pay will no longer makes sense, therefore I'll drop the card as soon as the renewal is up.
If you renewal is after November you should stop using it after your November statement is generated as you won’t be able to access the CB you generate beyond that point without paying the AF.

Best to close it ASAP upon getting CB if they are going to enforce the 2 year rule.
Wealthsimple Premium
Jul 8, 2013
335 posts
82 upvotes
Montreal
If only they had a banking option where you could get the annual fee waived sigh.
Could use the 4% groceries and 4% utility bills cashback.
Apr 2, 2019
617 posts
523 upvotes
Dogsville
Today I’ve experienced the full brute force of Scotiabank CSR incompetence.

Called in to inquire about my BNS MVI cashback bonus which is obviously overdue, and had to go through a full journey with the CSR as follows:
1. first he spent like 10 minutes explaining to me that i may be not eligible for the bonus and verifying if I am (turned out I am! yay!)
2. then he argued that the bonus is meant to be paid out 2-3 months after 30th of June (promotion end date apparently)
3. after the argument from my end that it has to be 2-3 month after I hit the MSR (April 18th), he finally admitted i am right and took time to credit the bonus... but credited only 50 dollars instead of 159 I am owed! (why? because as of now I’ve accumulated 150 regular cashback dollars to date, therefore my bonus should be 200-150 =50! LOL)
4. another 20 minutes were wasted away to argue about the amount of the bonus, pointing out the formula how to calculate it... in the end he just took my April statement and deducted my April accumulated cashback from $200... arguing that this is in fact the bonus I should he getting... it turned out to be 154 bucks, which is not far from 159 I am owed... so I conceded to get just 154 Face With Tears Of Joy

I think I’ll make another call a couple days later to get the missing 5 bucks, but It was heck of a conversation!!!
-
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2542 posts
1049 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
@hotsince83 exactly what I've stated :))) easiest is to escalate at a branch as you can keep a bitch fit convo :))))))))))))
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2014
1073 posts
1308 upvotes
Southern Ontario
hotsince83 wrote: Today I’ve experienced the full brute force of Scotiabank CSR incompetence.

Called in to inquire about my BNS MVI cashback bonus which is obviously overdue, and had to go through a full journey with the CSR as follows:
1. first he spent like 10 minutes explaining to me that i may be not eligible for the bonus and verifying if I am (turned out I am! yay!)
2. then he argued that the bonus is meant to be paid out 2-3 months after 30th of June (promotion end date apparently)
3. after the argument from my end that it has to be 2-3 month after I hit the MSR (April 18th), he finally admitted i am right and took time to credit the bonus... but credited only 50 dollars instead of 159 I am owed! (why? because as of now I’ve accumulated 150 regular cashback dollars to date, therefore my bonus should be 200-150 =50! LOL)
4. another 20 minutes were wasted away to argue about the amount of the bonus, pointing out the formula how to calculate it... in the end he just took my April statement and deducted my April accumulated cashback from $200... arguing that this is in fact the bonus I should he getting... it turned out to be 154 bucks, which is not far from 159 I am owed... so I conceded to get just 154 Face With Tears Of Joy

I think I’ll make another call a couple days later to get the missing 5 bucks, but It was heck of a conversation!!!
I've also had a few calls with them to see where the bonus is. They tell me it'll come on the August statement. I have my calculation ready to see by how much they've screwed up.
Apr 2, 2019
617 posts
523 upvotes
Dogsville
lefroset wrote: I've also had a few calls with them to see where the bonus is. They tell me it'll come on the August statement. I have my calculation ready to see by how much they've screwed up.
I actually hope the welcome bonus calculation is an automatic process (or at least semi-automatic) and a CSR doing a manual adjustment during a call may just be an extra compensation.
-
Oct 20, 2018
58 posts
50 upvotes
Should the thread title be updated to reflect the new rewards?
Jul 8, 2013
335 posts
82 upvotes
Montreal
Is getting a CIBC Smart Plus Account and keeping a minimum of $6,000 balance to get the annual fee waived for a CIBC Dividend VISA Infinite (4% gas and groceries) a viable option or substitute?
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
Is there a general consensus as to what card we should switch to from this because of the changes? The gas cashback change irks me.

Mainly interested in cashback since I dont do much travelling right now and don't spend much on going out to restaurants etc. Just want cashback on necessary purchases - drugstore, gas, groceries, recurring bills etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3352 posts
874 upvotes
Toronto
tim-x wrote: Is there a general consensus as to what card we should switch to from this because of the changes? The gas cashback change irks me.

Mainly interested in cashback since I dont do much travelling right now and don't spend much on going out to restaurants etc. Just want cashback on necessary purchases - drugstore, gas, groceries, recurring bills etc.
You will need multiple credit cards to get those necessary purchases. Tangerine credit cards gives 2% on 3 categories. If you still want 4% on gas with $99 AF, there's CIBC and Meredian VISA.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19733 posts
28613 upvotes
Vancouver
tim-x wrote: Is there a general consensus as to what card we should switch to from this because of the changes? The gas cashback change irks me.

Meridian Visa Infinite. Same earnings as the old Scotia Momentum, same old $99 fee. But much better insurance package and much more flexible redemption—no waiting for November; redeem anytime any amount $50 or greater. I ditched my Momentum for this a year and a half ago.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3458 posts
3341 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Meridian Visa Infinite. Same earnings as the old Scotia Momentum, same old $99 fee. But much better insurance package and much more flexible redemption—no waiting for November; redeem anytime any amount $50 or greater. I ditched my Momentum for this a year and a half ago.
Thanks!
I'll be switching after November for sure.
Banned
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3321 upvotes
Out west
Reading more and more I think after November I will be cancelling, although paid up until Feb. They got greedy, and I hope it will show how many memebrs they will lose out of this. I will try and convince them to waive the fee for me for a yhear to see, if not, I already have my Rogers World Elite in the mail and Tangerine as my old reliable. And both no annual fee
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6264 upvotes
Reading more and more I think after November I will apply for this card. I have ~$1200 monthly spending on non-Amex grocery and recurring bills. Plus the new mobile insurance comes in handy.

The new card is definitely better as I don’t buy overpriced gas in Canada. Now the problem is how to keep getting the annual fee waived. I don’t want to keep applying and canceling the card every year.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Addict
Jun 5, 2010
3150 posts
7726 upvotes
Ontario
Just not worth it anymore when there are equivalent options. If this was the only game in town, I would stick with it based on my cash back rate. But come November, I will cancel. I'll make sure to apply for the Meridian Visa Infinite at that time.

Quick question, does the Meridian Visa Infinite have a best time to apply for the card? Since the Momentum was best to apply just after November, I was wondering if the Meridian also has a "best time".
Deal Fanatic
Apr 24, 2017
7313 posts
6264 upvotes
Skilas wrote: Just not worth it anymore when there are equivalent options. If this was the only game in town, I would stick with it based on my cash back rate. But come November, I will cancel. I'll make sure to apply for the Meridian Visa Infinite at that time.

Quick question, does the Meridian Visa Infinite have a best time to apply for the card? Since the Momentum was best to apply just after November, I was wondering if the Meridian also has a "best time".
4% recurring bills is the only game in town. No other card can beat it.
🤑 Amex Cobalt | MBNA RWE | Rogers MC
⛱️ Amex Platinum | Amex Bonvoy Brilliant
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2005
1087 posts
832 upvotes
Mississauga
EdisonL299 wrote: 4% recurring bills is the only game in town. No other card can beat it.
This is true - but the calculation comes down to whether you have enough recurring bills to offset the fee against the benefit vs a no-fee 2% recurring bills card (like Tangerine).

I think the crossover point (with 2 cards) is spending $8500/year on recurring payments.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)