Credit Cards

Scotia Momentum VISA Infinite - 4% Groceries & Recurring Bills, 2% Gas & Transit

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:02 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Lostwords wrote: you can't use Visa Card in Costco....
You are able to use Visa to order Costco Cash cards on costco.ca Which would get you 1% Return.

djino
Jul 24, 2010
75 posts
9 upvotes
Ontario
Applied in April. Got my credit in my statement this month - $810! I really love this card and at $810 for 6 months do not care about the $99 fee for next year one little bit...

g.
Deal Addict
May 17, 2012
3199 posts
2222 upvotes
ontario
groovejumper wrote: Applied in April. Got my credit in my statement this month - $810! I really love this card and at $810 for 6 months do not care about the $99 fee for next year one little bit...

g.
I'm at $100 CB since mid September. Not quite on same pace as you but yes, card makes a lot of sense for us too.
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
A lot of you love this card, but isn't the Scotia Amex gold better? Same annual fee, FYF, 4% on gas, groceries, restaurants and entertainment.
For places that don't accept AMEX default back to your no fee 1% CB card.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 29, 2008
8010 posts
4748 upvotes
Montreal
thetipster wrote: A lot of you love this card, but isn't the Scotia Amex gold better?
If you do your majority of grocery shopping at places that don't take Amex, it makes the Scotia Amex much less appealing.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
thetipster wrote: A lot of you love this card, but isn't the Scotia Amex gold better? Same annual fee, FYF, 4% on gas, groceries, restaurants and entertainment.
For places that don't accept AMEX default back to your no fee 1% CB card.
AMEX acceptance in Canada is what lowers it's value.

But I still value it more than the momentum visa. But everyone will have their own preference.

Djino
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
djino wrote: AMEX acceptance in Canada is what lowers it's value.

But I still value it more than the momentum visa. But everyone will have their own preference.

Djino
Does the Amex travel credits have to be used each year or can they carry over... For myself I don't travel very often.
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Addict
Dec 13, 2010
2506 posts
1279 upvotes
ON
cashinstinct wrote: If you do your majority of grocery shopping at places that don't take Amex, it makes the Scotia Amex much less appealing.
Right, I get that. I'm using the fee-less PC Financial for 3% back at lawblaws, no frills, and anywhere else I go will take the Amex.

So now we are at 3 cards... which isn't for everyone
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Shawguy wrote: Does the Amex travel credits have to be used each year or can they carry over... For myself I don't travel very often.
No. Your Scotia Rewards Points (if that is what you are referring to) roll over forever.

But as you can only apply them to travel purchases, the purchase itself has to be at least $50, and has to have been purchased within the past 365 days of you redeeming on it

Djino
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
djino wrote: No. Your Scotia Rewards Points (if that you are referring to) roll over forever.

But as you can only apply them to travel purchases, the purchase itself has to be at least $50, and has to have been purchased within the past 365 days of you redeeming on it

Djino
I wish I knew that before. I thought they had to be redeemed yearly or you lost them. This is why I got the Visa.

Does Scotia do product switches? Lol
*Do you like someone's idea, post, or response? Why not consider giving them "thanks" and clicking the thumbs up to give them the credit they deserve.*
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
thetipster wrote: Right, I get that. I'm using the fee-less PC Financial for 3% back at lawblaws, no frills, and anywhere else I go will take the Amex.

So now we are at 3 cards... which isn't for everyone
I myself use 3 credit cards.

1. Scotia Amex for 4% back from Gas grocery restaurant entertainment purchases. I'm in my second year with it and have had both years of annual fees waived.

2. I use the Chase Amazon Visa for all foreign currency purchases since chase does not charge the usual 2.5% foreign exchange fee that most all credit cards charge.

3. And I use the MBNA rewards world elite for 2% cashback on everything else. I signed up years ago and managed to get the no annual fees version of this card.

Those are my 3 go to cards. And I don't pay any annual fees.

Djino
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2009
3648 posts
3043 upvotes
What's the best time of year to apply so that after a year, I can get the cashback and still cancel in time before being charged the annual fee?

Should be coming up soon, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
2781 posts
2300 upvotes
Winnipeg
bubak wrote: What's the best time of year to apply so that after a year, I can get the cashback and still cancel in time before being charged the annual fee?

Should be coming up soon, right?
Beginning of December. Also Ratesupermarket has the $100 gift card offer again too right now.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
Shawguy wrote: I wish I knew that before. I thought they had to be redeemed yearly or you lost them. This is why I got the Visa.

Does Scotia do product switches? Lol
I'm not sure.

If you have no luck and still want the Scotia Amex, PM me, and I can get you 30,000 welcome points (worth $300 in Travel) instead of the current 20,000 points along with first year free.

djino
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12571 upvotes
Markham
MrBigNose wrote: The total cash back is posted on Nov statements.
Mine is $330+ for 11 months (applied the card last December)
Are you sure thid card is best for your purpose? That cash back amount seems low
Dec 26, 2010
31 posts
If you don't care about the type of reward..(Cashback or travel) and if you spend over $6500 in gas, grocery & dining is Scotia Bank Amex generally the best card? Since on the first $$6.5k spending its as if you get 2% cashback and pay off membership fee ($100 +30 supp) and anything on top of that is 4% return.

And of course the $200 signup bonus. Or is there another card that provides better benefit for Travel or Cashback?
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2008
15587 posts
7026 upvotes
Gatineau
iRFD wrote: If you don't care about the type of reward..(Cashback or travel) and if you spend over $6500 in gas, grocery & dining is Scotia Bank Amex generally the best card?
Yes, assuming the places you do spend accept AMEX. AMEX acceptance is the issue which often could lessen the value of the Scotia Amex offering. But if you Grocery shop at places like Metro/Food Basics/Sobeys/etc. that do take amex and you should be fine with this card.
iRFD wrote: Since on the first $$6.5k spending its as if you get 2% cashback and pay off membership fee ($100 +30 supp) and anything on top of that is 4% return.

And of course the $200 signup bonus. Or is there another card that provides better benefit for Travel or Cashback?
I would say this card is up there as being one of the best Travel/Cashback cards assuming you are ok with Travel credit and spending at places that take AMEX.

djino
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3036 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
smartie wrote: Are you sure thid card is best for your purpose? That cash back amount seems low
Not sure... need to do more math :)

office is close to home, so only $100+ per month for gas
Moreover, can't use the card for $6000 spending in costco
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2014
3036 posts
1638 upvotes
ON
groovejumper wrote: Applied in April. Got my credit in my statement this month - $810! I really love this card and at $810 for 6 months do not care about the $99 fee for next year one little bit...

g.
wow!!! even you used the card only for GAS/Groceries, your spending is greater than $20,000

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)