Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

Locked: [Merged] STUDENTS: Windows 7 Pro $40

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 8th, 2010 6:32 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
3283 posts
567 upvotes
relica wrote: Hi new guy here and first post. Also far from tech savvy!!

I purchased Microsoft Ultimate Steal and have it on my home computer and my laptop. Recently I've purchased an HP notebook that comes with windows 7 starter. It also comes with a trial version of office 07. I tried to put in my product key from the ultimate steal but it won't except it.

Does anyone know how to install it, or why it will not install, on my notebook? Is the problem that I have it on other computers?

Appreciate the help.
Are you talking about Windows, or Office?
Aug 22, 2007
771 posts
57 upvotes
Not sure if this has been said, but if you are a student, you should be able to get windows server 2008 R2 from dreakspark for free!

Sure beats paying.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2006
1035 posts
256 upvotes
Waterloo
Knitecrow wrote: Not sure if this has been said, but if you are a student, you should be able to get windows server 2008 R2 from dreakspark for free!

Sure beats paying.
Yes, but server os is server os, and desktop os is desktop os. Server does not fit everyday use in many ways.
Nov 27, 2009
9 posts
my friend has a cool server with no cover and fans blowing everywhere inside. he installed windows 7 on it. no issues yet.
Mess with me and I'll disown you forever.
Aug 22, 2007
771 posts
57 upvotes
Both OS are build from the same core. Windows Server 2008 R2 has additional features over windows 7, but you don't have to use them. In addition to tighter security right of the box, it has all the useless services disabled by default. I used Windows 2008 (for free) and it was far better than windows vista in memory usage.

By default windows server 2008 R2 disables desktop themes including aero glass, but you can enable it. And it looks exactly like 7. The availability of advanced options, controls and security may scare off non-techie types, but its worth free. Free training also available for those who are new but want to learn server 2008.

In addition, you can pick up windows server 2003 (xp eq), windows server 2008(vista), and windows server 2008 R2 (win 7). That is three different OS licences for free!

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2003
7399 posts
2413 upvotes
T dot 6
Just a FYI. The DVD took like 3.5 weeks to get to me after the initial order. No idea why it took so long. I didnt think it was coming after two weeks.
stubhub and clearly.ca suck, like really suck
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
relica wrote: Hi new guy here and first post. Also far from tech savvy!!

I purchased Microsoft Ultimate Steal and have it on my home computer and my laptop. Recently I've purchased an HP notebook that comes with windows 7 starter. It also comes with a trial version of office 07. I tried to put in my product key from the ultimate steal but it won't except it.

Does anyone know how to install it, or why it will not install, on my notebook? Is the problem that I have it on other computers?

Appreciate the help.
You need to have Office 07 Ultimate installed, trial version or full version for the key to work. Most PCs that come with a trial version of Office 07 come with standard, or small business or something. Just download the files from Ultimate Steal or if you don't have those, you'll have to find them online or order the cd.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Knitecrow wrote: Not sure if this has been said, but if you are a student, you should be able to get windows server 2008 R2 from dreakspark for free!

Sure beats paying.
This is a good thing if you need Windows 2008 Server. Most people here do not. The Dreamspark license is also not a full retail license like Ultimate Steal and running a server OS adds a lot of unnecessary complexity and overhead.
Aug 22, 2007
771 posts
57 upvotes
Those commenting on server os, have you used win server 2008? As my only PC the house running as a media pc (having switch to macs), I can speak from experience.

It is a myth that server 2008 is significantly more complex than windows 7. In fact, it is has lower overhead and memory usage usage by default. In the config console you select the services you want to run from a list and the role you want to server to play. Simple as that. From there, it mostly acts like windows 7, expect in instances where tighter security will show up.

It runs 99.9% of applications and games like windows 7 does, uses the same drivers. Anyone who is smart enough to build their own custom machine, install windows from scratch, can install and run server 2008 as ther main os.

Quite frankly, I am perplexed that people need excuses to pay M$ more money. Here is a chance to use a better OS for free. If you find it is too much for you, go out and then spend the money, but try it as there is nothing to loose.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
2266 posts
325 upvotes
London
Knitecrow wrote: Both OS are build from the same core. Windows Server 2008 R2 has additional features over windows 7, but you don't have to use them. In addition to tighter security right of the box, it has all the useless services disabled by default. I used Windows 2008 (for free) and it was far better than windows vista in memory usage.

By default windows server 2008 R2 disables desktop themes including aero glass, but you can enable it. And it looks exactly like 7. The availability of advanced options, controls and security may scare off non-techie types, but its worth free. Free training also available for those who are new but want to learn server 2008.

In addition, you can pick up windows server 2003 (xp eq), windows server 2008(vista), and windows server 2008 R2 (win 7). That is three different OS licences for free!

https://www.dreamspark.com/default.aspx

Sure beats paying.
Thank you :!: Will try to grab a server version soon :cheesygri
No external links in signatures.
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2007
1838 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Can some1 PM the details of what i should do im going to order me a copy... but im planning on donig a clean install for my current desktop and future desktop i am gunna build... this is an upgrade version... i have no idea what to do anyone would liek to baby step me please thanks!!
Dec 23, 2007
267 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
BrianJai wrote: Can some1 PM the details of what i should do im going to order me a copy... but im planning on donig a clean install for my current desktop and future desktop i am gunna build... this is an upgrade version... i have no idea what to do anyone would liek to baby step me please thanks!!
I have the same question.. I've seen it people mentioning it in this thread but it's hard to search a 60+ page thread. Does anyone know off the top of their head the steps to use this purchase and do the clean install (no upgrade)?
Oct 19, 2009
428 posts
9 upvotes
Accurim wrote: I have the same question.. I've seen it people mentioning it in this thread but it's hard to search a 60+ page thread. Does anyone know off the top of their head the steps to use this purchase and do the clean install (no upgrade)?
The details is on page 45...message #673
Deal Addict
Jun 18, 2004
1260 posts
462 upvotes
I tried to do an upgarde with Vista Windows Home Premium and it would not let me. I had an empty partition on the same drive so I did a clean install. I didn't have any problems and it didn't ask for a Vista cd. It was the easiest Windows install I ever did. So far I am very pleased with Windows 7.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2006
5313 posts
2518 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just wondering... Is there any significant difference going to be noticed with a 64 bit Win7 vs a 32 bit Win7, on a computer that has 3GB and no gaming played etc?

Just too lazy to do a clean install on a Dell that is running 32bit Vista... Thanks
Nov 14, 2006
338 posts
43 upvotes
coleworld wrote: Just wondering... Is there any significant difference going to be noticed with a 64 bit Win7 vs a 32 bit Win7, on a computer that has 3GB and no gaming played etc?

Just too lazy to do a clean install on a Dell that is running 32bit Vista... Thanks
More compatible to use 32 bit on a 3GB or under system. For 4G or over use 64bit for sure.
Jun 30, 2009
194 posts
92 upvotes
alkyne wrote: I went through most of the 64 pages and didn't find an answer, can someone help me out

1. If i upgrade from XP does it mean i'll never be able to reformat - i tend to reformat my home computer at least once a year

2. if i have two partitions using winXP, do i need to format both before a clean install?? or can i just do a clean install only on the partition that XP is on?

Thanks
Hey guys, i did some research and also installed win7, so if anyone else was wondering about these questions which i asked earlier, here's the solution:

1. There's a few workarounds to do a clean install with win7 using upgrade versions - i hope i don't have to reformat for a long time - if anyone is wondering how, just type windows 7 workaround in google and should find how (or search this forum)

2. I had two partitions on XP (with only 1 HD) - i backed everything up on one partition and did a clean install on the partition XP was installed, i didn't lose any data on the other partition - just a word of caution, when you're installing, make sure you know the sizes of your partitions, otherwise it'll be hard to distinguish (i.e. the install program doesn't distinguish partitions as c:\ or d:\ or etc, it distinguishes them by size)

Cheers
Dec 23, 2007
267 posts
48 upvotes
Toronto
MadCowTom wrote: The details is on page 45...message #673

Thanks for the reply.. I stopped being lazy though and actually searched the thread. I just reformatted my XP partition and did a clean install of Windows 7 with the iso/key provided by digitalrivers/ultimatesteal (?).

Anyways heres all the good stuff I found in the thread incase anyone else is lazy and just goes to the end of the thread:
How to install with upgrade media:
http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_ ... _media.asp
Default Successful Installation
OK...here is what I had before and my process to get a clean install work.
Thank you for all helped by finding the way to make ISO file. I used that method and that worked.

Make Windows 7 ISO

I had W11indows Vista 32bits Home Premium on my Dell Inspiron 530 PC. I already have 4GB of ram so I bought Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I had so many programs which are not supported in Windows 7 as per update adviser. So I bought a 500GB 7200rpm Seagate Drive on sale for $50 and did clean install on that new drive. I didnt put the key during installation. Also I unplugged the Network cable. Then I connect my old drive and Windows 7 showed that drive without any issues.

When I try to activate Windows 7, it gave me an error saying Key is only for upgrade not for a clean install. After quick search on Google found following page.

Windows 7 Activation Issues

First Workaround didnt work for me but Workaround 3 worked.

Workaround 3: Clean Install and Activate Windows 7 with MediaBootInstall Registry Hack

1. After booting up, ensure that no Windows Updates pending task which requires a system reboot to finish installing.
Tip: Normally, an orange-colored shield icon will be displayed next to Shutdown button in the Start Menu Power Button or at notification tray area if a restart is required.
If reboot is required, restart the computer to allow any pending updates is installed.

2. Run Registry Editor (RegEdit).

3. Navigate to the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup\OOBE

4. In the right pane, change the value data for MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0.
Alternatively, just download and execute MediaBootInstall.reg to merge the value into registry.

5. Open an elevated command prompt as administrator.

6. Run the command below to reset Windows 7 activation status:

slmgr -rearm

Once this command finish running, it will ask you to restart.

7. Reboot the computer.

8. Run the Activate Windows utility (accessible from bottom section of Control Panel -> System and Security -> System, or type Activate Windows into Start Search), type in the upgrade product key and activate Windows.

I hope this helps for at least one person.
Deal Addict
Apr 7, 2008
4773 posts
40 upvotes
BrianJai wrote: Can some1 PM the details of what i should do im going to order me a copy... but im planning on donig a clean install for my current desktop and future desktop i am gunna build... this is an upgrade version... i have no idea what to do anyone would liek to baby step me please thanks!!
do you ever do anything by yourself?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)