Jul 22, 2013
127 posts
36 upvotes
NightRain wrote:
Dec 7th, 2016 11:53 am
Just got offer 4GB data and unlimited calling and texting. $90/mth

Still a lot extra.
One word: Don't

I remember when data was unlimited, then $30 for 6 GB, I now have 5GB, 400 minutes daytime, unlimited local weekend minutes, 10 Favorites for $50 a month. Each time I was a sucker for the "shiny' new phone. Now data rates are skyrocketing and whenever I call Telus about a phone upgrade they say they have a data plan more in touch with my needs, for waay more $$ for less features ... but hey I get the shiny new phone.

In reality, the shininess wears off of the new phone in a hurry and now you're stuck with a phone bill that costs more than the phone at the end of the two years.

Take care,
Newfie
Jan 6, 2011
14 posts
2 upvotes
Kitchener
massiso wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2016 12:45 am
Those are the prices for the phones? $89 and $30? I was offered the same plan but they want $450 for the iPhone7+ and $350 for the Pixel XL did u have credits or something?
Yup thats what i paid for the phones. I was a new customer. They initially offered me the phones for $270 and $200 but when i said i would think about it and was going to call them back he dropped the price to $30 and $89. Couldnt say no to that
May 10, 2006
790 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
NewfieBullet wrote:
Dec 12th, 2016 9:46 pm
One word: Don't

I remember when data was unlimited, then $30 for 6 GB, I now have 5GB, 400 minutes daytime, unlimited local weekend minutes, 10 Favorites for $50 a month. Each time I was a sucker for the "shiny' new phone. Now data rates are skyrocketing and whenever I call Telus about a phone upgrade they say they have a data plan more in touch with my needs, for waay more $$ for less features ... but hey I get the shiny new phone.

In reality, the shininess wears off of the new phone in a hurry and now you're stuck with a phone bill that costs more than the phone at the end of the two years.

Take care,
Newfie
So true!

I look at it this way and I mentioned this many times in this forum: "your future monthly plan will be 99% likely to be higher than what you are paying now if you want to stay with the same provider". The only time you will end up paying less than your previous monthly plan is when you are already paying a ridiculous amount and you got a promotion, you get a good deal from another provider or if you get access to business/corporate plans.

My wife and I pay $91 a month (tax in) for our 2 plans combined. Every 2 years, I will call retention to renew and waive my Call Display fee but that's about it. Google Pixel is a nice phone but I can wait for another year (or another Black Friday) to get it. Smiling Face With Open Mouth My unlocked Note 5 is still going strong and will soon get Android Nougat anyways. That's just my 2 cents.
Mobile: $40 - Telus Student 50 Plan MTM ($10 BYOD) - 500 mins anytime, eve/wknds @ 5PM, 5GB data, unl text, FAV10, CID and VM25
Cable/Internet: $104+tax - VIP, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Dec 26, 2012
4 posts
Saint John
I've actually made it to the end of my contract for the first time in 7 years with Telus and finally decided to try to see what they would do to keep me. I was on a studnet 55 plan from ages ago that need 15$ in add ons for voice mail and caller ID. It only had a gig of data - and I constantly went over so I really ended up paying 90+ Tax on a 70 dollar plan. They've made plenty of money on me.

On the phone, they offered me this:
same minutes as before, which im fine with -300 daytime, unlimted after 6 or something. Honestly never make calls.
Caller ID
Voice Mail
3 Gigs of data
for 75$

They were already offering me 100$ off a premium smartphone. I'd really like to get the Pixel XL 128 gb but currently the best price on that seems to be $380, so minus my $100 would be $280. I was really hoping for a bigger discount on then that on the phone. I tried using my internet provider offering a sameish package against them but they kept saying this is the best I could get from them and that I could wait for Boxing Day Sales and see what is out there.

Any tips for getting them to budge on the price of the phone? I can't afford to buy something outright like that right now.
Oct 22, 2006
459 posts
68 upvotes
latestwonder wrote:
Dec 19th, 2016 8:57 pm
I've actually made it to the end of my contract for the first time in 7 years with Telus and finally decided to try to see what they would do to keep me. I was on a studnet 55 plan from ages ago that need 15$ in add ons for voice mail and caller ID. It only had a gig of data - and I constantly went over so I really ended up paying 90+ Tax on a 70 dollar plan. They've made plenty of money on me.

On the phone, they offered me this:
same minutes as before, which im fine with -300 daytime, unlimted after 6 or something. Honestly never make calls.
Caller ID
Voice Mail
3 Gigs of data
for 75$

They were already offering me 100$ off a premium smartphone. I'd really like to get the Pixel XL 128 gb but currently the best price on that seems to be $380, so minus my $100 would be $280. I was really hoping for a bigger discount on then that on the phone. I tried using my internet provider offering a sameish package against them but they kept saying this is the best I could get from them and that I could wait for Boxing Day Sales and see what is out there.

Any tips for getting them to budge on the price of the phone? I can't afford to buy something outright like that right now.
I'd wait for boxing day. I'm sure they will have something better from a hardware purchase perspective. And if not, I think $280 is reasonable for a pixel xl 128gb. That's an over $1000 phone if purchased outright. And the monthly spend is not bad for a premium device on contract.
Sep 3, 2008
170 posts
3 upvotes
Has anyone had luck with squeezing Telus corporate a bit? I really want a Roam Like Home option, and would really like Canada-wide calling.

I currently have a grandfathered corporate plan:
$50 for
250 anytime minutes
6GB data
Local Incoming Calls
The usual Call Display, Call Waiting, Advanced Voice Mail
Extended Unltd. Nights & Wknds
SMS Unlimited (i think canada only, don't need US/intl though)

I'm seriously considering the Fido Boxing Day promo for $10 more including unlimited Canada-wide calling. Doesn't have a roam like home option either, however.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
1358 posts
94 upvotes
I currently have
$55 (Loyalty Voice&Data 55)
- 1gb data (flex plan)
- 1000 min + 100 bonus min
- Free evenings/weekends after 5pm
- Family calling LD
- LD (not sure how many LD minutes, but I never use it)
- CW, CC, CD
- VM3

Called loyalty today and the best they offered me (so far) is:
$66
- 3gb data
- unlimited nationwide calling/texting
- CW, CC, CD
- VM25

It's $65 for 2gb with a $1 promo for an extra gb. With my current plan I usually go over the 1gb and pay the $10 extra for the flex data, so I end up paying $65 plus taxes anyway. So at best, I'm just getting an extra GB for $1. I don't really use a lot of voice minutes -- last month I used a total of 380min which is probably about average for me.
adamm
Dec 26, 2013
63 posts
19 upvotes
Vancouver
pedant wrote:
Dec 27th, 2016 2:37 pm
Has anyone had luck with squeezing Telus corporate a bit? I really want a Roam Like Home option, and would really like Canada-wide calling.

I currently have a grandfathered corporate plan:
$50 for
250 anytime minutes
6GB data
Local Incoming Calls
The usual Call Display, Call Waiting, Advanced Voice Mail
Extended Unltd. Nights & Wknds
SMS Unlimited (i think canada only, don't need US/intl though)

I'm seriously considering the Fido Boxing Day promo for $10 more including unlimited Canada-wide calling. Doesn't have a roam like home option either, however.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks.
I ended up leaving Telus for Fido as I tried to get the to switch my personal business plan over to the consumer side so I can get the equivalent to Roam Like Home and they refused, unless I increased my plan to at least $80.
Dec 25, 2016
44 posts
7 upvotes
I came here to see what Telus is offering since I'm with Fido and heard people talk about Telus having good reception etc.

Sorry to see that Telus has horrible retention plans here. People have limited minutes and small amount of data for athe astonishing upwards of $60 here on Telus.

Fido and Rogers have long offered better plans when I compare to some plans discussed here.

Looking at this fido's $60 seems like a great deal. Never had issues with fido with reception etc. Telus seems a rip off! Phew!
Mar 25, 2009
317 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
I'm currently on a Corporate EPP (6GB for $50; 300min) which ends later this year. What happens at the end of the EPP contract? Am I being automatically switched to MTM and the $50 charge remains unchanged (grandfathered)? also: has anyone here recently been able to get a BYOD discount when switching from a corporate plan (EPP) to MTM
May 25, 2011
164 posts
12 upvotes
Bc
Telus had been slow
No offers
Since they offer on koodo they don't care to give deals on telus

Been a whiile. Postpaid or BYOD ..No deals

Anyone have any updates please share
In BC
Dec 30, 1969
14 posts
5 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I was with Telus for about 5 years and I had the 6GB plan w/ 200 day minutes, my 10 calling and voicemail 3 for $65/month.

On Boxing Day I called in to see if they could match or offer me the same deal as Fido offered on Boxing Day (6GB, Unlimited Calling&Text for $60month). The girl I spoke with told me said she call me back and would try her hardest to get me the best price.

She came back with the same plan I had, but with Unlimited calling but 2 GB would expire after 2 years, so I'd be left with 4GB for $75/month or I could add on Unlimited calling onto the plan I had for an extra $10. She also offered me a one time $60 credit.

That was the best "deal" Telus could offer me even though I would be paying more and Fido was $15 cheaper. Still not a bad deal, but I ended up going with Fido. The "Big 3" rarely give out deals now...
May 10, 2006
790 posts
287 upvotes
Toronto
mcfrugal wrote:
Jan 27th, 2017 3:59 pm
I'm currently on a Corporate EPP (6GB for $50; 300min) which ends later this year. What happens at the end of the EPP contract? Am I being automatically switched to MTM and the $50 charge remains unchanged (grandfathered)? also: has anyone here recently been able to get a BYOD discount when switching from a corporate plan (EPP) to MTM
You will automatically become MTM and your existing plan will continue. You can ask them if they still give a BYOD discount. It's been 2 years since I had mine so I don't know if they still do that. One thing that you have check though is if there are any freebies given to you that are not built in the actual plan. Usually, freebies outside your plan expire when your contract expires. I have a grandfathered Student 50 plan and it does not have CID built-in to the plan so I have to call retention and ask them to renew the freebie. It's not difficult to get them renewed.
Mobile: $40 - Telus Student 50 Plan MTM ($10 BYOD) - 500 mins anytime, eve/wknds @ 5PM, 5GB data, unl text, FAV10, CID and VM25
Cable/Internet: $104+tax - VIP, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Aug 16, 2013
149 posts
28 upvotes
What's the best shared plan these days for a couple? Should include Canadian and US minutes, and be should be on Big 3 network. My wife and I have individual phone plans from Koodo so we are now planning to go on a shared plan.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel