[Merged] US Shipping Address for Canadians

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 7th, 2019 8:05 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 28, 2017
529 posts
326 upvotes
i used NYAddress for about the same time. i also had no issues when mike worked there, knew me well and had no problems taking the time to find my packages. only once he left did i start to have issues. mainly with the lady... she's lazy and once there are 4-5 people in line she then tells the first in line to come back or you get what she can find since she's swamped.... and basically you are screwed since you are at her mercy.

i don't know if you've been there when it's xmas time or any other holiday and people are pretty much crammed in there. it's a complete shit show.... i could only take it for so long and then was like is it really worth the free storage if you can't get your packages.... lol, probably why they have infinite free storage, because eventually you will have to make more than one trip to get packages you could have gotten in the initial trip.
no matter where you go, there you are.
Deal Addict
Nov 6, 2015
1849 posts
1300 upvotes
Oakville
NYAddress customer from 2015 until late last year when I read about the issues in the other thread. FWIW they didn't lose any of my packages over that period and as others have said, Mike was great!

Used American Mailbox for the first time today. Chris was courteous and professional. Worth $4/package imo, would use them again.
30 days of free storage, which is what clinched it for me vs 24/7. Amazon always seems to delay just one of my boxes :rolleyes:
Jul 4, 2009
917 posts
92 upvotes
Mississauga area
margincall wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 3:59 pm
NYAddress customer from 2015 until late last year when I read about the issues in the other thread. FWIW they didn't lose any of my packages over that period and as others have said, Mike was great!

Used American Mailbox for the first time today. Chris was courteous and professional. Worth $4/package imo, would use them again.
30 days of free storage, which is what clinched it for me vs 24/7. Amazon always seems to delay just one of my boxes :rolleyes:
What a coincidence. I also used American Mailbox for the first time yesterday.
I use to have a subscription to CBI years ago but they became too busy and pricey, then I went with WNYSS (www.wnyselfstorage.com) and had a subscription with them for over 2 years but since Trump became President, I stopped my monthly state shopping. If I was a more frequent shopper, I would have stayed with WNYSS. The owner (Mary) is super nice.

For my infrequent shopping, I think American Mailbox will do the trick. $4 a package, and they are also open Sunday.
Apr 2, 2019
438 posts
341 upvotes
Toronto
I recently applied for a credit card with TD US and may have inadvertently stated they can send me the card to my myMallBox address...
will MyMallBox not send me the letter with the card to Canada for a fee? I saw on the forum that recently they cracked down on card seekers.

Sorry if I’m repeating someone else’s question.
Feb 18, 2007
359 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
cddc wrote:
Mar 29th, 2019 3:33 pm
But for people like me who live far away from the border and have to pick up packages every 3 or 4 months,
3 or 4 months??

Don't you want your stuff?

Wouldn't you pay way more than if you just shipped it to your address in Canada instead of paying storage fees? Makes no sense.
Deal Guru
Feb 7, 2017
10146 posts
7441 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
danascully wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 3:03 am
3 or 4 months??

Wouldn't you pay way more than if you just shipped it to your address in Canada instead of paying storage fees? Makes no sense.
There are several US Parcel Drops that charge a FLAT FEE for holding
Some even are as low as $ 5 for 365 Days
Cannot forward / send much onto Canada for 5 Bucks

FYI ... not EVERYONE lives in the Golden Triangle / GTA and southwestern Ontario :rolleyes:

So ya, lots of folks I know who don’t live less than 1 hour from the border (Calgary - Muskoka - Ottawa & Gatineau - The Laurentians - Montreal - Quebec City etc) only run across once in awhile when they have several items to pick up. Sometimes over a weekend, so they get their 24 or 48 Hour Exemptions to boot.
Nov 27, 2009
319 posts
38 upvotes
Toronto
danascully wrote:
Apr 11th, 2019 3:03 am
3 or 4 months??

LOL....they charge a flat fee of $4 for each package and store it up to 4 months for free. So not an issue here.

I sometimes buy some item of value $16 off Amazon, and really don't want to drive 1.5 hours just to get it. Better to wait until you have several packages to pick up.
Nov 24, 2017
62 posts
12 upvotes
What's the best option for getting several (10 or so) items, totalling about 10lbs and worth ~$900USD, to Toronto from the US? These items come from companies in NY and CT, so any shipment to a NY or CT address will incur sales tax. I'd like to avoid that, ideally.

Everything needs to be done by mail -- I don't own a car.

I've had good luck with crossborderpickups in the past, but they unfortunately only have a US address in NY.
Aug 20, 2009
39 posts
Truro, NS
Anybody have anything good or bad to say about the Kinek service? I've never used any type of ship to border service so I just want to make sure these guys are on the up and up before I give them my info. All I can find online is older reviews/forum comments.

Headed to Maine next month and was going to send a few larger items to pick up and save myself some cross border freight fees.

thanks!
the early bird may get the worm, but it's the late mouse that gets the cheese....... :twisted:
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1748 posts
1039 upvotes
Just Moved To Somewh…
@canuckian_ns I have used that company for a few years now with no problem. I recently moved and had to change to a different access point but their logistics allowed me to keep the same box number.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Aug 20, 2009
39 posts
Truro, NS
rcmpvet wrote:
Sep 24th, 2019 9:06 am
@canuckian_ns I have used that company for a few years now with no problem. I recently moved and had to change to a different access point but their logistics allowed me to keep the same box number.
Thanks for the information! They do seem like a nice setup but like anything, one can never be too careful these days.
the early bird may get the worm, but it's the late mouse that gets the cheese....... :twisted:
Jun 4, 2004
435 posts
287 upvotes
Mississauga
I've been using CBI since 2007, and never had any issues or concerns with them losing anything. My only wish is that they had longer hours and open on Sundays. Based on what I've read on here, it sounds like Orion might be another option if extended hours pickup becomes a problem, so I'll keep them in mind for that.

I really like the concept of 24/7 Parcel, but don't like how the packages aren't insured for loss or damage.
Oct 27, 2014
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi everyone,

I'm buying from a retailer that only ships FedEx, and it seems like a lot of these services like Kinek ship to UPS locations.

Does anyone know how to get a similar service that works for FedEx? Kinda desperate here since duty on the one item I need will cost approximately $1,000!
Last edited by ViscountChocula on Oct 31st, 2019 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.