Shopping Discussion

[Merged] US Shipping Address for Canadians

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2017 1:14 pm
Tags:
None
Feb 22, 2006
14 posts
I used their services and I received the router bought on eBay in good conditions for a reasonable price. They also consolidated three parcels in just one succesfully. That made me sign up as an affiliate, here' s the link if you want to use Shipito international mail forwarding services for yourself: USA Address & Worldwide Mail Forwarding :!: Post your experience here too!
Dec 14, 2008
151 posts
10 upvotes
Navy-Virgo wrote:
Sep 21st, 2009 11:02 pm
Atragon wrote:
Nov 17th, 2007 10:06 pm
There is also a UPS store in Ogdensburg, which happens to be open on Saturday, IIRC they will hold for 1 week, and costs $5 per package.
QUOTE]

I just used this service for the first time today. Left Ottawa at 10:30, stopped for US cash at my bank, drove down 416, paid toll at bridge (UPDATE: $3.25 Cdn or $2.75 US), through US Customs, picked up my parcel at UPS store (not even 5 minutes from the bridge in a small mall with Price Chopper and Lowes) and was leaving Canadian Customs (after paying GST and PST on AmEx) at 12:38! Turns out I did not need US cash as UPS takes credit card payments ($5 for the parcel). Saved myself about $75 on Thule racks, and had a great fall drive as a bonus.

The UPS Store
2981 Ford Street Extension
Gateway Shopping Center
Route 37
Ogdensburg New York 13669
Their phone number is: 315-393-1188.
Can anyone suggest a better location en route to TO from Ottawa? From the post above, it didn't sound like it was that far off the route but the added time is 1.5 hours.

Another option would be to pay extra for a mail forwarding service and save the gas money/time. Although this might not work with larger items...
May 18, 2005
216 posts
6 upvotes
I used a service called Kinek lately that has border locations across the U.S./Canadian border to ship to. I use the one in Calais, Maine. All I had to do was sign up to get a Kinek# and include it on the address they gave me. Soon as the package arrives I get a email and text message and I venture down on the weekend to pick my items up. Ace Homecenter charges me $3/package which is nothing compared to how much I save.

Name
295 North Street
KINEK# c/o Ace Homecenter
Calais Maine

http://www.kinek.com or you can read more about cross border shopping at their information site: http://shiptotheborder.com
TheBurgerMan
at
gmail
dot
com
May 18, 2005
216 posts
6 upvotes
TheBurgerMan wrote:
May 10th, 2010 11:53 am
I used a service called Kinek lately that has border locations across the U.S./Canadian border to ship to. I use the one in Calais, Maine. All I had to do was sign up to get a Kinek# and include it on the address they gave me. Soon as the package arrives I get a email and text message and I venture down on the weekend to pick my items up. Ace Homecenter charges me $3/package which is nothing compared to how much I save.

Name
295 North Street
KINEK# c/o Ace Homecenter
Calais Maine

http://www.kinek.com or you can read more about cross border shopping at their information site: http://shiptotheborder.com

There is also a company called Bongo that consolidates all your packages and ships them too you. Cool service, but costs a lot more than I am willing to pay (drive there myself and get it).
http://www.bongous.com/
TheBurgerMan
at
gmail
dot
com
Sep 14, 2010
1 posts
Ottawa
Just discovered a great FREE service (http://myusaddress.ca). I routinely shop online with US retailers like Target, Macy's, Tire Rack and J.Crew and have them ship to my own physical US address in Ogdensburg, NY, only 40 minutes from Ottawa. I pick up my packages and declare them myself and save $$ when compared to prices in Canada. Tires, flatscreen TVs, clothes, and electronics - all significantly priced lower in the US, plus many US retailers offer free shipping offers within the continental USA.

Compared to other such US address services, myusaddress.ca offers so much more - email notifications/SMS text notifications when packages arrive, a secure pickup service (I am NOT rooting thru piles of other people's packages) and I can even opt to have these guys clear my items across the border and I pick up in Prescott (saves me having to pay $6 CAD to get across that bridge - which has been under construction all summer).

Check them out: http://myusaddress.ca
Deal Addict
May 11, 2005
1672 posts
21 upvotes
Ajax, ON, Canada
I wonder if there are any providers that does this type of shipping. by the way, I'm from the Ajax area. I've initially considered and planned to choose Borderlinx, but I heard there are some negative reviews. Also, I don't have a car (nor my drivers licence) to pick up a package that I had ordered from a US online website and have it shipped to an address of a US forwarding business (or something called like that).

Any suggestions?
Less Negativeness, More Positiveness
Moins des négativités, Plus de positivités
Sep 15, 2011
8 posts
Downtown Toronto
I'm looking for a mailbox rental centre in Yellowknife and/or Vancouver that would be a real address rather than just a P.O. Box. Does anyone who is familiar with either city know where I could look?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 15, 2003
7854 posts
48 upvotes
Has anyone used one of these services recently? I'm looking for one that's open during Black Friday weekend. Specifically Friday 24th morning or Saturday 25th morning. I have a lot of things I want to pick up...
Apr 12, 2010
5 posts
What do you say to the man at the borders if you go for like 4-5 hours? I went seeing a relative that was sick?

Also, can you just ship something there (USA) and go get it?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2006
1112 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
chameleontwo wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 9:18 pm
What do you say to the man at the borders if you go for like 4-5 hours? I went seeing a relative that was sick?

Thanks

Just tell them you are going to pick up your Internet order. Why would you want to lie to them? If they ask for more info, just show them your order confirmation.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2009
1364 posts
79 upvotes
chameleontwo wrote:
Dec 7th, 2011 9:18 pm

Thanks

There's absolutely nothing wrong with crossing for whatever legitimate purpose you wish, be it shopping, dining, entertainment, visiting friends or relatives.

If you're going over to grab a package, be sure to fill up your car and perhaps even grab a few groceries while you're there, since these are not subject to border pick-pocketing on the way home.

Just remember that a trip <24hrs provides $0.00 in personal exemptions, so depending on the mood of the keystone cop or the line-ups, you have a finite probability of being pulled over for pick-pocketing. They are especially sensitive to high-tax items like alcohol and tobacco products.
Dec 16, 2011
1 posts
VANCOUVER
Do not send your packages here! Service here is awful. They do not allow a 1 time pick up. You have to sigh up with them for 1 year $10 fee and every package is $2. It's not worth it, if you have only 1 package a year! Do not send your packages here if you only have 1 parcel to pick up!!!!!! Awful service!!!!
Mar 25, 2011
708 posts
30 upvotes
Guelph
Hallo1 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2011 9:32 am
Do not send your packages here! Service here is awful. They do not allow a 1 time pick up. You have to sigh up with them for 1 year $10 fee and every package is $2. It's not worth it, if you have only 1 package a year! Do not send your packages here if you only have 1 parcel to pick up!!!!!! Awful service!!!!

it's on their website. it's not like they made up these rates.

it's your fault. not theirs.
Nov 22, 2011
307 posts
84 upvotes
Richmond
Hallo1 wrote:
Dec 17th, 2011 9:32 am

You live in vancouver, use thelettercarrier.com

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)