Shopping Discussion

[Merged] "Value" Village is kinda expensive

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2015 8:05 am
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2006
2124 posts
166 upvotes
You can get bed bugs just by standing there and rummaging through the clothing racks. So not going there.
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
28 upvotes
Sudbury
RCGA wrote:
Jul 24th, 2012 9:57 am
VV can blame inflation all it wants, but there's no way I'm paying $15 for a used sweater from American Eagle et al.

They've reached the point where it's not worth the effort anymore.
I don't know how AE prices their stuff, but if it's at least similar to how Campus Crew does it, that's way too much for a used sweater. Very often Campus Crew has sales on like one hoodie for $24 and another one for half price.

Regarding how they sort things - everything gets sent to the back where it's sorted, priced and of course, put out on the racks. After a certain amount of days they get pulled, regardless if it's nice or not, and stuffed into a bailer where they get packed onto a truck and sent who knows where. This is how it is for clothing, not sure about other stuff like household items such as a toaster or VCR.

Edit: They do not wash anything. I'm guessing if stuff came in with a piss or poop stain, it would just go straight into the bailer.
Deal Addict
Oct 19, 2012
3175 posts
370 upvotes
Toronto
brunes wrote:
Jul 20th, 2012 7:29 am
Why do you think that Value Village would have some kind of magical guard protecting them from inflation? Of course their prices have increased over the years - so has the price of everything else!
Yeah right that's why they have higher prices than Wal-Mart in clothing even though Walmart's clothes are new? The only thing VV is good for is to find old equipment/electronics, I bought a sweet old-school Rogers cable converter box there that I could have never found somewhere else which I needed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7023 posts
530 upvotes
It's hit and miss really. The pricing scheme is totally arbitrary and in some cases, completely left up to the employees. As a part-time employee at Value Village, I can actually price and dictate the prices of certain items (furniture and electronics).

As for dry cleaning...no nothing is washed or dry cleaned. Usually it's left up to the employees if they want to keep/sell something or just throw it away because it's too grimmy.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2005
7385 posts
69 upvotes
uber_shnitz wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 12:05 pm
nothing is washed or dry cleaned.
omg. forget about making purchases. I'd be nervous to just browse through their stuff.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1225 posts
353 upvotes
Ontario
I don't like how Value Village masquerades as a doing charity work when it is for profit. Yes it's true it is for the lazy folks at the Diabetes Associaton gets $$, but what fraction of a percent? I was talking to an large organization that donated thousands of dollars worth of items to VV when it could have gone to a real charity with retail used goods stores (in Sudbury Salvation Army, Jarrett Centre, Saint Vincent de Paul society) and they didn't realize it didnt ALL go to the DA. The problem is the DA is a lazy organization. I once was involved in fundraiser for them and they wouldn't lift a finger. So, getting a tiny fraction of large volumes by lending their name seems like a good option for the lazy folks at DA, but other organizations that do good work lose out.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7023 posts
530 upvotes
I've never seen Value Village really market itself as a "charity" shop here in Quebec. It's just another thrift store really.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2008
4679 posts
723 upvotes
BC
uber_shnitz wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 5:21 pm
I've never seen Value Village really market itself as a "charity" shop here in Quebec. It's just another thrift store really.
What do you mean when you use the term 'Thrift Store'?

A Thrift Store is run by, or for, a charitable organization by definition.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Thrift+Store

Charity Shop and Thrift Store therefore have the same meaning.

Some people incorrectly refer to for-profit used goods stores and pawn brokers as thrift stores. Sometimes even dollar stores get lumped in there.

But the fact is regular for-profit retail stores collect tax on sales while SA, GW and other 100% charity shops/thrift stores do not.

VV doesn't cleanly fit into either category, but is much closer to the regular for-profit retail end.

It used to proclaim its charitable component but is probably now sensitive to the issue and doesn't want to draw attention to how small the contributions is.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2005
3802 posts
1072 upvotes
High River, AB
xansmommy wrote:
Aug 7th, 2012 9:32 am
I donated a lot of stuff and clothes from my grandmother's apartment after she passed, and saw her things on the shelves/racks, the next week I was there- so it didn't go anywhere else for sorting.
I had a similar experience. My grandmother's winter jacket was donated, ended up on the shelves a few days later, and then was seen parading around the neighborhood by the lady who bought it. This was an incredibly distinct jacket - one of a kind - so there's absolutely zero chance that it wasn't her jacket.

That doesn't mean it wasn't dry cleaned, but it certainly didn't have time to get shipped to a regional facility, sorted, cleaned, then shipped back out (conveniently to the store of origin).
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7023 posts
530 upvotes
macnut wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 7:57 pm
What do you mean when you use the term 'Thrift Store'?

A Thrift Store is run by, or for, a charitable organization by definition.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Thrift+Store

Charity Shop and Thrift Store therefore have the same meaning.

Some people incorrectly refer to for-profit used goods stores and pawn brokers as thrift stores. Sometimes even dollar stores get lumped in there.

But the fact is regular for-profit retail stores collect tax on sales while SA, GW and other 100% charity shops/thrift stores do not.

VV doesn't cleanly fit into either category, but is much closer to the regular for-profit retail end.

It used to proclaim its charitable component but is probably now sensitive to the issue and doesn't want to draw attention to how small the contributions is.
Ah okies my bad.

Well either way, I never saw Value Village for its charity side. Even the name implies more about the aspect of selling used goods than anything else (as opposed to places like Salvation Army, which hint at more charitable causes). I mean, I only really discovered there was one when I started working there. Otherwise, it was just another store that sold used items to me (and threw away a bunch of crap people gave us).
Banned
Sep 5, 2012
50 posts
15 upvotes
Toronto
Value Village is way too expensive. Especially being donated items. I donate my items to the Goodwill. Atleast I know they are not severly overcharging and people who are not so fortunate can still afford to buy.
May 13, 2002
217 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
I do shop at VV occasionally, and I do agree their prices are stupid, although, I've seen items at Goodwill & SA that were a lot higher for similar items at VV; so really it all comes down to a matter of perspective.
Michael
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
7023 posts
530 upvotes
IMO it's a matter of perspective. Is 20$ for a table too much? Well maybe, but then again the cheapest table at IKEA is probably like 30$ and it's not made of solid wood like the ones that are donated at VV (quite a bit of furniture is solid wood at the VV I work at as opposed to particle board).

Like I said, pries are highly subjective (I've been there for less than a month and they let me price furniture however I see fit) so it's up to the employees really how cheap/expensive they want to sell something. In many cases, they don't have a clue what something is worth either. They priced a PS2 for 25$ but an Xbox 360 for 20$.
May 13, 2002
217 posts
53 upvotes
Toronto
The worst thing I hate about going to thrift stores [VV, SA, GW] is a lot of the employees are dumb, 90% of the time there are women's pants in the men's section, and you can clearly tell they are women's pants.
Michael
× < >