[Merged] "Value" Village is kinda expensive

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 11th, 2015 8:05 am
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
Gammatron wrote: Since you know how it smells there you must shop there often therefore you don't mind the smell until you come to ride your high-horse at RFD, right?
I shop everywhere dude, and I can tell you VV and places of it's ilk have a distinct smell. Claiming otherwise strains credibility.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
chadurban wrote: They havent even tested their electronics in over a decade.
Apparently they do "test" their electronics. But if it's broken, they price it accordingly.
That's what they told me at least. I gave them the strangest look.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
dizzup wrote: I have been a long time lurker on the forums, but I hadn't signed up or posted because of the foul attitude of most of the community. As my first ever interaction with someone here, your shocking hostility and abrasiveness has reinforced this impression...
RFD members are not allowed to be hostile to new members. If reported (via the "report post" link), the hostile RFD member get reprimanded. So, don't be discouraged, and please come back to post in the forums. Besides, I can't stand lurkers!
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3846 posts
102 upvotes
Hamilton
well, they DONT test thier watches.....so buyer beware!

no refund or exchange.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
69 upvotes
I was just in there today looking for Hallowe'en stuff. I'm thinking the new things are just a seperate store in there because the prices are freaking high! I was looking for a medieval dress for my daughter's Lord of the Rings Elf. I ended up in the used area and found one for $14.99. Now that's a better price! Just have to hem it a bit and add the cool belt my husband found and we are almost done. She has a bow and arrow set from Merida of "Brave" she can use, boots from her Merida outfit last year (that we made out of an actual dress since the ones sold are pricey). You can find some decent price stuff there. You just have to look hard for it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2008
5211 posts
2024 upvotes
I haven't been to VV in years. Last time I was there, they were charging $15 for a used Gap shirt and $20 for a used Gap sweater.

You can get those brand new for $5-$10 more on sale

Salvation Army is cheaper, but it's picked over for the most part.
Let's hug it out
May 28, 2012
12485 posts
5278 upvotes
Saskatoon
Angela V wrote: I was just in there today looking for Hallowe'en stuff. I'm thinking the new things are just a seperate store in there because the prices are freaking high! I was looking for a medieval dress for my daughter's Lord of the Rings Elf. I ended up in the used area and found one for $14.99. Now that's a better price! Just have to hem it a bit and add the cool belt my husband found and we are almost done. She has a bow and arrow set from Merida of "Brave" she can use, boots from her Merida outfit last year (that we made out of an actual dress since the ones sold are pricey). You can find some decent price stuff there. You just have to look hard for it.
I think they realize that a lot of people go there for Halloween costumes, folks who normally wouldn't shop there regularly...they are just taking advantage of the situation. So they'll sell new items for people who want to go the easy route...nothing wrong with it if you want to spend the money and want something very specific. Not everyone is "crafty" or can think outside the box. I used to make three costumes every year, no way was I going to spend $40 on each one; I had to get creative.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1775 posts
823 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
Mars2012 wrote: I think they realize that a lot of people go there for Halloween costumes, folks who normally wouldn't shop there regularly...they are just taking advantage of the situation. So they'll sell new items for people who want to go the easy route...nothing wrong with it if you want to spend the money and want something very specific. Not everyone is "crafty" or can think outside the box. I used to make three costumes every year, no way was I going to spend $40 on each one; I had to get creative.

Yes, they are smart. I have no qualms with that. I just don't like the sneaky way they use words like "donation" "community" "charity" when they only give a tiny percentage to charity, probably less than 2 per cent?
This has the effect of diminishing the charity motive in people who give with big hearts and expect to see good come of their donations, not pay for some Yank's yacht.
Feb 16, 2005
799 posts
315 upvotes
Value Village has the best deals! It is only ebay prices, in USD, + 20%

But hey you get it right away!

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/f1KuLwg.jpg[/IMG]
RedFlagDeals Veteran OG Godfather of Trade in Values and Selling Stacks of Dairy Milk Bars. If you know you know.